delta 5 knife kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
has any body got any experience with these knives and are they available in the uk.There doesn't seem to be a big selection of full tang blades available to buy or am i lo9oking in the wrong places

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You can order direct from Knifekits.com. The quality should be pretty good, if the DDR folders are anything to go by.

There kis a kit building forum over on the www.knifenetwork.com forum.

What did you want the knife to do? I am not convinced that there are many good bushcraft type blades in any of the US kit catalogues. Texas Knife supplies, Jantz, K and G finishing, they all sell blades and kits, but most are hollow ground hunters.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
C_Claycomb said:
You can order direct from Knifekits.com. The quality should be pretty good, if the DDR folders are anything to go by.

There kis a kit building forum over on the www.knifenetwork.com forum.

What did you want the knife to do? I am not convinced that there are many good bushcraft type blades in any of the US kit catalogues. Texas Knife supplies, Jantz, K and G finishing, they all sell blades and kits, but most are hollow ground hunters.

Chris, I've seen your work and would really value your opinion - what do you consider a good bushcraft bare blade to buy? The F1? Lapplander?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are only interested in the process of making a knife, then something with bolsters or a guard is interesting. The blades on Knifekits tend to be AUS-6A, which is okay, but its not going to be high performance. Better than 420 though. Have a browse through the cataloges of:
http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/catalog.html
http://www.knifeandgun.com/
http://www.texasknife.com/TKS_Mainframe.htm

If you want a bushcraft blade though the ones by Helle are highly recommended by people on here. The F1 blade is great, Leon has made some nice knives around that blade, but it cost quite a lot. The Trading Post used to have spare blades, not sure now though. Kellam US should do though.

If you try to buy from the US, you might be hit for duty, just bear it in mind.

The rules for picking a blade to work with are about the same as choosing a finished knife. You want the blade material, profile and grind to be suitable. In addition you want the tang/blade joint to be free of stress risers (sharp corners), which is a problem with buying many blades from the US.

The problem I have in recommending a blade to buy is that it was the very lack of blades I liked that pushed me into making my own :rolleyes: :lmao: I like having complete control over my design, when you buy a blade most of the designing has been done already and you have to work within fairly tight limits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE