Dehydrator recipes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That looks ace!! I will have a look for it!! Drop a few chunks of chocolate in to that sounds very nice!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Your a man after me own heart ;)

Oh yes lol!!

I don't no if it's any use to you but I came across a couple of absolutely superb websites to do with freezer bag and one pot cooking.
It's got some good recipes on there for dehydrating too, here are the links -

http://www.onepanwonders.com/index.html

http://www.trailcooking.com/

You may have seen them before but I certainly have not.

Got some really nice breakfast ideas and tea/supper too, I don't really worry about lunch too much so that section didn't really interest me.

The only problem I have found is getting some of the items in this country such instant pudding (which I think is angel delight but can't be sure) and also still like minute rice and concentrated lemon powder.

I particularly like the sound of a hot drink they call snicker doodle

½ cup sugar
½ cup
powdered milk
¼ cup powdered non-dairy creamer
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

At home: combine all of the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.

In camp: add 3 tablespoons of mix to ¾ cup boiling water. Stir and enjoy.

Let me no what you think or if you no the English alternatives to some of the ingredients.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Also something else that I was told about that may come in handy for this thread are these - http://www.biggrassfield.com/index.aspx?partid=RC-887605&aff=froogle

Handy for taking the bits that can't be dehydrated!!

Checked these out a couple of times in my local camping shop, they do look good. Thinking peanut butter and nutella, nom nom.
The Snicker doodle sounds nice, a bit of a change from standard hot choc. I'll give it a go!
Thanks for the link to onepanwonders.com I hadn't come across that one, added it to my favourites.
Regarding the American ingredients instant pudding has to be angel delight I think, minute rice is stuff like 'Bachelors Suparice' (or just quick cook rice maybe?). I saw concentrated lemon powder on another thread recently British Red posted a link to this ebay shop who stock it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Checked these out a couple of times in my local camping shop, they do look good. Thinking peanut butter and nutella, nom nom.
The Snicker doodle sounds nice, a bit of a change from standard hot choc. I'll give it a go!
Thanks for the link to onepanwonders.com I hadn't come across that one, added it to my favourites.
Regarding the American ingredients instant pudding has to be angel delight I think, minute rice is stuff like 'Bachelors Suparice' (or just quick cook rice maybe?). I saw concentrated lemon powder on another thread recently British Red posted a link to this ebay shop who stock it.

That's exactly my plan mate, Nutella and p nut butter, or the snickers spread in one and honey or similar in the other.

I will check out that link cheers

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If one on this forum was so far inclined , would there not be a possibility of a small business idea in producing these meals? or would Health and Safety have them tied up in knots and make it unfeasible ?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yeah you could do. But I'm guessing you would need a food hygiene certificate and a small insurance policy. It would be a similar set up to someone wanting to bake birthday cakes at home and sell them. It could be very good indeed if you had good recipes. My only concern would be what to price them out at, proper freeze dried meals, as opposed to dehydrated, the likes of mountain house or be well expedition foods, the main meals normally cost around a fiver, so to make this economical for the buyer moan meals would need to be sold ? around the £2.50-3 mark, reason being because anymore than that you may as well for the proper freeze dried stuff as it stores better and you can have cheese flavourings etc, stuff you just can't dehydrate.
May be worth a look though, especially if you can do a dried equivalent to the 24hr rat packs that seem very popular but heavy!!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If one on this forum was so far inclined , would there not be a possibility of a small business idea in producing these meals? or would Health and Safety have them tied up in knots and make it unfeasible ?

I presume that it is the same in the UK as it is here in the US, but when I installed a coffee service in my book store, I had to build a commercial standard kitchen. This included e.g. five (yes 5)sinks a monstrosity called a grease trap to prevent grease from getting into the public sewer system. Safe food handling certification of those working with food. Oh yes,it took six months to get planning permission with notification to abutting neighbors of public planning meetings ending in a full presentation to the town council. And before you ask, no, your mum's/wife's kitchen will not be good enough, no matter how house proud she is and however spotless it is. You have to have the 5 sinks.

It's a major investment in time and money

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE