Dehydrator recipes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Got a batch of mince beef stew just finishing off now, tried some tiny cubes of spuds and carrots in it just to see how they fair. I've got a slow cooker though and the stewing steak sounds a good plan!

Any thoughts on breakfast recipes? I normally just take 'Oats so simple' type porridge, but after seeing HHH's omlette recipe I'm keen to try that. I was also considering drying baked beans and low fat kabanosi sausage maybe...

sausage and beans is good, for bacon take/make jerky.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I go more for taking along individual ingredients and mixing what I fancy. You can make 'leathers' from gravy, curry, spag bol et al but they won't keep that long compared to dry ingredients, can stink the house out too. You can carry stuff like tomato, chicken, ox tail soup to use as the base of a sauce/stew/spagbol/curry and add some spices and or herbs as needed, trust me, you'll get very very nice meals if you go down this route..

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm not so sure you can dehydrate eggs mate or anything made out of egg like omelette etc.

Again sausages may be an issue too because of the fat content.

What about getting some breakfast items, like beans and mush rooms, maybe even hash browns, but grate the potato, fry it off then break it up small again (I'm thinking more rostie than hash brown)

For the sausage what about getting some really good sausage meat, cooking it off the pulsing it in a foo processor so it's really small, rinse it off with hot water and add it to the mixture above.

Eggs can be carried as they are and cooked on site.

Not tried the above but I am defo going to!!

I take oat so simple too normally and a porridge topper and dry milk.

You can do jerky in your new dehydrator too don't forget!!

Some beef jerky added to super noodles while they are cooking makes a good lunch that's lightweight!!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I don't fancy drying eggs but found this stuff. I like the sound of the rostie with beans, should work a treat.
I think (poultry) Kabanosi would be ok as it has a low fat content, HHH uses it in one of his vids. Not quite your classic fry up sausage but I reckon it would be alright.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I go more for taking along individual ingredients and mixing what I fancy. You can make 'leathers' from gravy, curry, spag bol et al but they won't keep that long compared to dry ingredients, can stink the house out too. You can carry stuff like tomato, chicken, ox tail soup to use as the base of a sauce/stew/spagbol/curry and add some spices and or herbs as needed, trust me, you'll get very very nice meals if you go down this route..

That would be ideal way of doing things (barring just cooking from fresh ingredients of course) but I'm looking for lightest possible meals without spending a fortune. I'm willing to sacrifice some flavour/texture to get this.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Ate the poultry sausages available over here?

The egg powder looks good mate!!

You would roughly get the equivalent to 33 eggs out of a kilo of that powder I think!!

That's mixing it basically 2 tablspoons of powder (30g) to 4 tablespoons of water which equals 1 egg.

Be interesting to no how it tastes!!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You can get turkey kabanosi in Lidl IIRC. Undecided about the egg powder, my gran says it was foul (fowl :D) stuff but that was 60 years ago.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
If you're going lightweight, stick with porridge for breakfast with added dried milk and sugar. Omelette is all very nice but doesn't provide the same calories g for g that a porridge mix makes. Blitz cheap oats in a blender before you go and you have instant oats instead of porridge.

I use the dried egg from myprotein and it's not bad at all. I tried to dehydrate eggs, it didn't work very well and the stink was unpleasant.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You can get turkey kabanosi in Lidl IIRC. Undecided about the egg powder, my gran says it was foul (fowl :D) stuff but that was 60 years ago.

I'm guessing stuff may have moved on in 60 years lol!!

I'm not so sure about turkey sausage either tbh, I don't really think it will Ne my cup of tea lol!!

Are they an actual sausage or is meat without a skin on?

I think I'm defo gonna have a go at the mix using some sausage meat, and try and blitz it down to a mince sort of size!!

It defo sounds interesting a dehydrated fry up!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
If you're going lightweight, stick with porridge for breakfast with added dried milk and sugar. Omelette is all very nice but doesn't provide the same calories g for g that a porridge mix makes. Blitz cheap oats in a blender before you go and you have instant oats instead of porridge.

I use the dried egg from myprotein and it's not bad at all. I tried to dehydrate eggs, it didn't work very well and the stink was unpleasant.

How did you mix the powder up widu?

How much did you use for an omelette or scrambled eggs?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'm guessing stuff may have moved on in 60 years lol!!

I'm not so sure about turkey sausage either tbh, I don't really think it will Ne my cup of tea lol!!

Are they an actual sausage or is meat without a skin on?

I think I'm defo gonna have a go at the mix using some sausage meat, and try and blitz it down to a mince sort of size!!

It defo sounds interesting a dehydrated fry up!!

This sort of thing...

chicken-cabanos.jpg

Think I'll take Widu's advice re breakfasts and stick with porridge and dried fruit.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Roughly a dessert spoon full is an egg. Mix with water until it is the same consistency as an egg and then cook as you would for egg. It's not perfect but it's perfectly palatable.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I see what you mean, but I would have thought you may need to cut the the meat up small so you can rinse any fat off of it.

Your right about the porridge mate, milk powder and porridge and sugar, boiling water and 10 mins in the cosy you made and you will have good porridge!!

Verity is the spice of life though isn't it? Lol

If you are getting bored of the same porridge, Tesco do things called porridge toppers, lots of different flavours, my favourite is the apple, raisins and cinnamon though!!

I think it's 4 bags for a quid!!

I put 2 bags of instant porridge, a small bag of powdered milk and a couple of sugar sachets and then either vac pack it of just seal it in a bag.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Roughly a dessert spoon full is an egg. Mix with water until it is the same consistency as an egg and then cook as you would for egg. It's not perfect but it's perfectly palatable.

That's good to no, cheers!!

Might see if someone Fancys buying 500g off me so that perhaps a couple of us can try it!!

Iv got some great little bags I could fill with egg, then fill the same bag up with water and it should be about right I'm guessing

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ill have to check it out in Tesco, the 'Oat so simple' stuff is expensive (well you need 2 for a decent breakfast)!
But yeah variety was my thought too, I'll maybe try breakfasts when I've done some lunch stuff.

Im going for spicy tuna pasta for lunches next, so far I've got 3 spag bol and 4 stews as main meals.

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
But yeah variety was my thought too, I'll try maybe breakfasts when I've done some lunch stuff.

Variety is a mindset only. Lightweight food is about calories. Look at the "professional" mountain marathon meals that you can purchase, they don't have a hot anything until the evening meal! Lots of lightweight walkers don't have a hot breakfast, preferring a cereal bar or similar or a trail mix of some description. Personally I find porridge sets me up.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I did porridge every day for a week in Estonia this year, for me after a few days I was sick of it!!

But tbh I think it may have been the cheapie powdered milk more than anything!!

The porridge toppers defo helped though, I think some nuts would go nice in it too!!

The other few days I had fried egg sarnies lol

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That would be ideal way of doing things (barring just cooking from fresh ingredients of course) but I'm looking for lightest possible meals without spending a fortune. I'm willing to sacrifice some flavour/texture to get this.

Can't see how its expensive, packet soup won't bread the bank:confused: Take your dried veg and meat and mix the meal in camp, its better than a whole dried meal.

Home dried egg is not good, look in your local wieght lifter shop and by dried egg in there but be warned none of it tastes great; good in the likes of bannock though.

If you cook pasta and rice you loose some energy value, then dry it and boil it again and loose more energy from the food, look at 'haybox' type cooking with a Thermos or cozy and use uncooked rice and pasta where you can.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Can't see how its expensive, packet soup won't bread the bank:confused: Take your dried veg and meat and mix the meal in camp, its better than a whole dried meal.

Home dried egg is not good, look in your local wieght lifter shop and by dried egg in there but be warned none of it tastes great; good in the likes of bannock though.

If you cook pasta and rice you loose some energy value, then dry it and boil it again and loose more energy from the food, look at 'haybox' type cooking with a Thermos or cozy and use uncooked rice and pasta where you can.

I meant compared to commercially sold dehydrated meals. I like the idea of whole dried meals, so I'm trying it out, doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Its worth noting the context of which I'm going to be using these; I'm planning to do an long distance path this year (the Dales way, I think) so having easy light meals is a must.
The cozy method is the one I'm using as detailed earlier in the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE