Dehydrator recipes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I really do like the look of the BBQ spaghetti that HHH makes!!

Although iv never seen pork mince in this country so would prob have to substitute it with beef or chicken.

Also the corn bread casserole looks excellent too, but I really can't find a substitute for corn bread lol!!

My first go at dehydrating, I made a trail sheppards pie,but instead of mash I cut small cubes of potato and blanched it then mixed it up with the normal sort of mince mix for sheppards pie, it dehydrated fine, but the potatoes refused to rehydrate at all, even cooking in the microwave didn't help, so I would give potato a miss mate!!

The rest tastes good!!

My vac pack machine has stopped vacuuming out the air from the bags now, so I need another one but on the whole I'm really happy with my dehydrator.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds tasty, I was thinking some sort of mince stew for next go. Good tip on the potatoes, could try smash maybe (have to keep it seperate I guess)?

You can get pork mince from most butchers, but I've seen it in Tesco too. But yeah I guess you'd have to make cornbread :).

Now a vaccuum sealer is very tempting.....

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Have a look on the bay mate, sealers are always for sale on there.

On the other hand Andrew James does brand new vacuum sealers for £40 delivered.

That's why I haven't got a new seal for mine as that would cost £15 and the guy wasn't even sure that would be the problem.

The only thing I worry about is the fat content in pork mince. As has been posted before you have to be really careful as the fat goes rancid.

Although sweet and sour pork dehydrated sounds amazing!!!

Steve

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'll see how it goes with Ziplock bags for now, seems the stuffs good for 6 months without sealing. But more gadgets never hurt anyone, ;).

Although sweet and sour pork dehydrated sounds amazing!!!

Now that's a tasty sounding option...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Pretty much anything goes, avoid dairy, rinse off fats and keep ingredients small.

Curries, chillis, stews, pasta, rice, sauces etc etc. I tend to do whole meals as though they're ready to eat and then dehydrate as one, I think if you keep the ingredients separate I think the results would be more appetising come rehydration time, mine usually end up as a mush but it all goes down the same hole as my mum used to say.
I use butchers lean minced beef or shredded chicken in 90% of my meals, I find they rehydrate better than actual cuts. Lamb works okay if you keep the chunks small. I prefer something bulky like a pasta or rice meal usually, chicken chasseur (sp) with rice, chilli and rice (I've had a hard time rehydrating kidney beans, they're like bullets even after 20mins in the cosy), beef with tomato based sauce, add chillies/peppers/onions to taste, penne/fettucine/spaghetti etc etc, add some bbq or Worcester sauce to liven it up a bit.
Diced or minced lamb, 1cm potato cubes, peas, carrots, spinach/cabbage, mint leaf, gravy powder, rehydrates into a baby food like mush but it one of my favourites, with a sachet of brown sauce sometimes. I've pulled out turkey curries from the freezer from two Christamas' a go, thawed them out and then dehydrated, went down very nicely with a fresh pitta bread.

A sachets of cup a soup make a nice addition to a lot of meals, cream of tomato in the pasta meals, oxtail in the gravy meals, chicken, mulligatawny, mushroom etc etc.

Cooked pasta and rice rehydrate quicker than cooking straight from the packet, saving you a bit of fuel.

Big chunks of mushroom take days to dry in a wet meal, avoid in stews or curries otherwise the rest almost turns to cinders before they're dried out.

I've eaten warm mush out of bags for years and the home stuff is on a par, I haven't really made anything much better but it works for me. It's when you try something like the Fuizion meals and realise there's a trick to it somewhere, their stuff is on another level but probably freeze dried in a fancy factory.

I'm lazy with my meals but there's a lot of scope for imagination, I'd like to try some Moroccan dishes with fruits and spices, better curries rather than just paste out of a jar, using a base tomato sauce and adding separate ingredients.

The Pour & Store bags work really well, they even wash out so they can be reused. £1 for 8 from Morrisons last time I looked.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Pretty much anything goes, avoid dairy, rinse off fats and keep ingredients small.

Curries, chillis, stews, pasta, rice, sauces etc etc. I tend to do whole meals as though they're ready to eat and then dehydrate as one, I think if you keep the ingredients separate I think the results would be more appetising come rehydration time, mine usually end up as a mush but it all goes down the same hole as my mum used to say.
I use butchers lean minced beef or shredded chicken in 90% of my meals, I find they rehydrate better than actual cuts. Lamb works okay if you keep the chunks small. I prefer something bulky like a pasta or rice meal usually, chicken chasseur (sp) with rice, chilli and rice (I've had a hard time rehydrating kidney beans, they're like bullets even after 20mins in the cosy), beef with tomato based sauce, add chillies/peppers/onions to taste, penne/fettucine/spaghetti etc etc, add some bbq or Worcester sauce to liven it up a bit.
Diced or minced lamb, 1cm potato cubes, peas, carrots, spinach/cabbage, mint leaf, gravy powder, rehydrates into a baby food like mush but it one of my favourites, with a sachet of brown sauce sometimes. I've pulled out turkey curries from the freezer from two Christamas' a go, thawed them out and then dehydrated, went down very nicely with a fresh pitta bread.

A sachets of cup a soup make a nice addition to a lot of meals, cream of tomato in the pasta meals, oxtail in the gravy meals, chicken, mulligatawny, mushroom etc etc.

Cooked pasta and rice rehydrate quicker than cooking straight from the packet, saving you a bit of fuel.

Big chunks of mushroom take days to dry in a wet meal, avoid in stews or curries otherwise the rest almost turns to cinders before they're dried out.

I've eaten warm mush out of bags for years and the home stuff is on a par, I haven't really made anything much better but it works for me. It's when you try something like the Fuizion meals and realise there's a trick to it somewhere, their stuff is on another level but probably freeze dried in a fancy factory.

I'm lazy with my meals but there's a lot of scope for imagination, I'd like to try some Moroccan dishes with fruits and spices, better curries rather than just paste out of a jar, using a base tomato sauce and adding separate ingredients.

The Pour & Store bags work really well, they even wash out so they can be reused. £1 for 8 from Morrisons last time I looked.

How do you store your food after you have made it Rich?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How do you store your food after you have made it Rich?

Just in the P&S bags, I find they'll keep at room temperature for a few weeks otherwise I stick them in the freezer, they'll last in there for 6 months or so. I try and make fresh batches before I go on a trip if I get chance.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm sure you could find something in your local pound shop? There are loads of materials with thermal insulating properties it doesn't have to be some space age stuff to keep your food hot, woolly tea-pot cozy's did us proud for decades:)

I used some of the foil covered thin foam sheets that are used behind radiators to reflect the heat. It worked very well along with some gaffa tape for a cozy for my Titan kettle!

Steve.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Any ideas where you can get smaller batches of thermawrap? £16~ to make 1 cosy seems a bit steep.

I've got loads, bung me a couple of quid for postage and ill send you enough for a cozy or two :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So my first batch of bolognaise came out great :).

Rehydrated a sample, and other than adding too much water (despite your warning Widu :rolleyes:) it tasted pretty good. So up next is going to be beef stew and I have a question.

In HHH's vid for beef stew he uses something called a 'fruit roll' tray, which is has no holes and the food is turned half way through drying. Now my dehydrator has only standard trays and I imagine my stew will leak through...

So can I use baking parchment to make a solid surface to dry my stew on, and flip half way through as per the 'fruit roll' tray?

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
...but as per my previous warning, some will leak/leech into the paper, meaning you will a. lose some gravy/sauce and/or b. gain some paper stuck to the gravy/sauce. I've just managed to get some cheap silicon sheet which I have cut to size which is ideal.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
...but as per my previous warning, some will leak/leech into the paper, meaning you will a. lose some gravy/sauce and/or b. gain some paper stuck to the gravy/sauce. I've just managed to get some cheap silicon sheet which I have cut to size which is ideal.

Silicon sheeting sounds like a good option, I'll be getting some. And thanks for the warning, which I'll heed this time :).

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Aha!! That is an inspired idea!!! That would save a hell of a lot of faff in about!!

Where can I find the silicone sheeting widu? And I'm assuming its good safe?

Cheers
Steve

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Aha!! That is an inspired idea!!! That would save a hell of a lot of faff in about!!

Where can I find the silicone sheeting widu? And I'm assuming its good safe?

Cheers
Steve

Have you got a 'The Range' store near you Steve? I got some for £1 a roll today (thanks to Widu's suggestion). Its food safe, designed for baking biscuits and stuff on.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I think I need to get my butt to pound land then lol!!

Are you going to use mince in your beef stew kit?

Like I said earlier I did a sheppards pie filling mix and then you could mix up some smash for the full pie!!

If your planning on using stewing steak, I would cook a full on stew in a slow cooker so the meat is literally falling apart, that way you could shred the meat before you dehydrate it!!

Edit : Damn that's a great idea,can't believe I didn't think of that earlier lol!! I'm gonna try that myself next time we have a stew lol

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Got a batch of mince beef stew just finishing off now, tried some tiny cubes of spuds and carrots in it just to see how they fair. I've got a slow cooker though and the stewing steak sounds a good plan!

Any thoughts on breakfast recipes? I normally just take 'Oats so simple' type porridge, but after seeing HHH's omlette recipe I'm keen to try that. I was also considering drying baked beans and low fat kabanosi sausage maybe...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE