Dehydrating meals question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wheelie1000

Aug 19, 2009
Cheltenham
I've been dehydrating various sauces and meals to add to rice, pasta and cous cous for a month long trip I'm doing in June.

I have just dehydrated a Thai cocounut milk, chicken and lentils meal and noticed that it is quite oily

all my meals are vacuum packed and will be stored unrefrigerated for about 2 months before being used

will oil from the cocunut milk in the green curry go rancid in that time do you think?

ive used only a splash of Olive oil in all my other meals which have dried really well

thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Dehydrations means getting rid of water, the oils and fats stay.
Coconut oil does not go rancid quickly, should be fine for many months, specially if vacuum packed.
Same applies to all vegetable oils.

We all store veg oils in a cupboard without them getting rancid.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I would suggest a box of Coconut "milk paste, as used in Thai curry is stored on a shelf for longer then 2 months. Vac packed by all means but not chilled at all.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In my cooking of local receipes I use coconut milk, cream and the dried milk that comes in sachets or blocks ( sachets dissolve easier).
Those products are basically finely ground copra ( dry coconut flesh) either dry or mixed with water. Also as much Coconut oil as Olive oil in general cooking.

The oils do not go rancid within 6 months of opening of the container. Maybe longer, but that is how long before we consume it. The olive oil metal canister (5liters) and coconut oil jar ( 1 US gallon) are standing in the kitchen. 79 degrees F.

I am lucky that we can buy locally produced coconut oil.

I would worry more about the animal content going bad.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fats, biochemicals which don't dissolve in water, have long chains of carbon atoms, 12 - 20, in them.
Animal fats have mostly straight chains. They pack together like your straightened fingers and so are usually solids at room temperature.

Plant fats usually have one or more double bonds between carbon atoms in the chains.
This puts kinks in the chains, they don't pack well, so vegetable oils are commonly liqiuds at room temperature.

Rancid: Over long times, plant fats exposed to the oxygen in air will slowly have the double bonds broken. The products are foul tasting.
Plant fats cannot decompose in sealed containers. They are not exposed to the air.
The same logic applies to the oven baked olive oil finish on kitchen utensils = the oil in the wood cannot go rancid.

I buy olive oil in 3 liter tins with no concern for chemical changes.
Same for the grape-seed, coconut, corn, peanut and canola oils in closed containers in my kitchen.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I would suggest a box of Coconut "milk paste, as used in Thai curry is stored on a shelf for longer then 2 months. Vac packed by all means but not chilled at all.

I think hamock man is right I just bought 1kg dehydrated coconut milk powder for adding to other dehydrated ingredients for camp cooking meals, like korma curry.

Breakfast in a ziplock bag:~ Jordens no sugar muesli, some more dried fruit, 1 teaspoon nestle Nido, 3 tea spoons coconut milk powder, 1 teaspoon fructose
Just add water this works well

34091096422_388d935e00_m.jpg

33439845503_9eb162c289_q.jpg

(DIY dehydrated rat packs), I do have a dehydrator but find buying dehydrated ingredients is more convenient & effective much less time consuming & seems to works really well

34248385595_3721e90261_z.jpg

14867903778_ab6d075d32_z.jpg

Back pack m-44 Garlic & mushroom Pasta in a KUK just add water & cook ( unfortunately they don't seem to do Heinz squeeze & stir any more ) but you get the idea.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE