Definition of hand made leather items

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Its not much of a secret that I've become a little obsessed with leather... I seem to spend the majority of my day either cutting it, sewing it or dying it recently, not to mention the hours and hours I've spent practising carving it... but I'm puzzled by something. What defines it being handmade?

What I mean is, I am stitching by hand, but I've ordered a heavy duty leather sewing machine to take some of the strain as I've got more ideas than I could possibly sew by hand and although I love saddle stitching (its very therapeutic) I don't particularly want to be hand-stitching if its a hidden stitch.

I've also seen a power mallet for when you're leather carving and you want to rest your arms from the constant hammering. Useless tool for detail work, but general bashing of leather (such as a large area of texture) is what the tool is for.

Does the use of either of these tools takeaway from the end product being hand made?

Purely academic question as I understand if I was doing it commercially, I could 'claim' handmade despite the use of these machines... but in reality, if I use a sewing machine and/or a power mallet, can I still view what I produce as being made by my own fair hands, or am I going to be tarred and feathered? :p

Could I add a caveat that I don't wish to offend professional leather workers/craftsman... I am just asking the question out of genuine interest and not trying to detract from the huge amount of work that goes into a lot of the leatherwork we see on the forums.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a similar debate in wood carving as to what constitutes "hand-carved." Some idiots claim that I should have cut the freakin' tree down with my teeth.
Most have settled down to the notion that the bulk, hard tasks can be done by machine. Then from that rough-out, all of the fine finesse work is done by hand.
Hand work includes bow saws, axes and adzes, right down to the finest of gouges and sanding.

To answer your question directly, No. Those tools don't take away from the finesse of concept, design and diligence in the finishing.
Yes. Your items are made by your own fair hands.
Advice: say nothing but learn to lie through your teeth.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I can sympathise with your desire for a sewing machine having hand stitched a number of rifle slings throughout their entire length to provide a contrasting leather backing. Even when tackling as 12" blocks the thread has to be amazingly long to do each panel without break!

Carving is not for me as I simply do not have the touch. If you're pants at freehand drawing it's usually a good indicator of your carving ability.

All the best

K

Last edited:

leon-1

Hand made is a funny old thing. You can use a sewing machine and it's still hand made, it's just machine stitched. If the whole process was automated that would be different.

Many things are sold as being handmade, but they have used machinery to make or create something, knives are a classic example, a handmade knife may involve the use of sanders, belt and disk sanders, linishers, metal cutting bandsaws, even laser cutters, Tormek's and pillar drills. They have still been controlled by hand, the item is still then handmade.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I always think about this when I see the "handmade burger Company" have they slaughtered the cow in the back and then minced it, mixed it and molded it into a burger?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks guys... hadn't thought about it from the angle of knife-making... takes a lot of skill with power tools as I discovered when I tried to recover the tip on one of my kitchen knives... its now a bit messy :( Didn't expect the belt sander to remove so much material so quickly!

Thoroughly enjoying the leather working... sewing machine will be a whole new challenge (arrives on Wednesday all being well) and very tempted to order the power mallet... don't get why I've got so many ideas. Not enough hours in the day.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Raise the cow, kill the cow, peel the cow, cut the cow peelings into manageable sheets. To tan, grow an oak tree, cut it down, do whatever it is you do to oak to make it into a tanning solution, tan it with your bare hands. To decorate, carve designs and pop sewing holes with your teeth, use thread woven from your own hair to sew.
Instead of a power mallet, I want to see a trip report of you walking 40 days and 40 nights in the desert with the leather tied to your feet mind no cheating Dewi!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ideas are like all the good things in life, dewi; you're much better off looking after them than you ever will be looking for them :)

I have a sketchbook full of ideas... as I say, just need more hours in the day. Although saying that, I've followed the advice given... I'm separating out tasks to different parts of the day and thats meant I've been a lot more productive.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Raise the cow, kill the cow, peel the cow, cut the cow peelings into manageable sheets. To tan, grow an oak tree, cut it down, do whatever it is you do to oak to make it into a tanning solution, tan it with your bare hands. To decorate, carve designs and pop sewing holes with your teeth, use thread woven from your own hair to sew.
Instead of a power mallet, I want to see a trip report of you walking 40 days and 40 nights in the desert with the leather tied to your feet mind no cheating Dewi!

Lol... much easier to buy things in a shop and spend my time turning it into items I like :D

Speaking of which, I think you'll like what I've been working on Mick... bit of work left before I photograph it and post it up, but if all goes to plan it'll be useful when we're up in those woods of yours! :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Lol... much easier to buy things in a shop and spend my time turning it into items I like :D

Speaking of which, I think you'll like what I've been working on Mick... bit of work left before I photograph it and post it up, but if all goes to plan it'll be useful when we're up in those woods of yours! :D
Well aye I mean that's option 2 I suppose!
Good stuff mate looking forward to seeing it

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Well aye I mean that's option 2 I suppose!
Good stuff mate looking forward to seeing it

You're going to have to teach me how to cook pigeon though Mick... many thanks again to your Dad... they were delicious, but I seriously struggled to cook them properly.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You're going to have to teach me how to cook pigeon though Mick... many thanks again to your Dad... they were delicious, but I seriously struggled to cook them properly.
Aye I'll show you the old family recipe ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE