Defiance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Anybody seen the movie Defiance?

Its all about WWII and the two brothers escaping to the Belarus forest and building a community there, as covered by Ray in his Extreme Survival series.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset

Its all about WWII and the two brothers escaping to the Belarus forest and building a community there, as covered by Ray in his Extreme Survival series.

Not seen it yet, but I have read that it has been Americanised and the portrayal of Tuvia Bielski isn't correct by any means.

He wasn't as much of the saint as they make out.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
watched it last night thought it was an ok film but as shewie says it could have been alot better. not sure if this is the same group as the ones RM covered in his program if it was the film had some different idea's of what went on than the ones on the RM program ?

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland

How did they build a community, or did their sister tag along too?

On a serious note though, the best bushcrafty film I've seen is Dersu Uzala http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071411/. There is an amazing scene where they become disorientated on a frozen moorland after the "captain" insists they press on through a "bad" area against the advice of Dersu. They then frantically try to built a shelter before nightfall as a storm builds. The whole film is full of amazing though provoking bushcrafty wisdom (albeit with a siberian slant) and is well worth looking for if you aren't into hollywood rubbish.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Oh ya defiance... I've been meaning to see that because I noticed it was about the same bunch that Ray talked about and I happen to like war movies but ya I didn't expect it to really show what it was all about but I might as well watch it anyway.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I liked it quite a lot.

I saw an interview of some of the members of the camp (apparently a couple of dozen of them wound up in Los Angeles) and they said they felt the movie was quite accurate.

I have no idea whcitytools.net/ether that's true or not, but it came from the survivors themselves..

If you want to see and astonishing (and *very* harrowing) movie about the war in Belorus, check out "Come and See" -- it's a Russian film. Amazing movie -- nothing particularly bushcrafty about it, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE