Defender 90?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
I miss my Landies - a 109 and two 110s over the years. All "Station Wagons" mind, so a little more refined. I learned a lot about working on vehicles thanks to them - - - and I note that my tools seldom get taken out and played with these days. Now, why is that I wonder?

If you can't work on them, stay well clear. On the other hand, once you've been bitten by the bug, there is, I'm afraid, no real cure. There is however a very big difference between an exMoD 90 (perhaps soft-top) and something like a 90 Station Wagon, preferably the pukka version not the home brew variety.

All of mine leaked, rattled and burnt / leaked oil at an alarming rate from places you've never heard of and can't find. I spent many happy hours keeping them looked after and each one was suffering some serious rust in places they shouldn't rust after a surprisingly few years. We towed big trailers loaded with masses of camping kit (I was in the Scout Movement at the time), with the vehicle full of people and the roof-rack also fully loaded. And the kids absolutely loved them. They also got off-roaded either just for fun, green laning and the occasional competition.

Which reminds me - add the ability to weld as another essential skill if you plan on running an old LR. Oh, and you really do need a driveway or similar - working on one in the road isn't nice.

None of mine were my daily drive - as I had a company car at the time. My then wife used them as daily drives, but of course whenever the Landy was off the road for whatever reason we had another means of transport. All this said, only one of them every actually "broke down" - and that was a perished water hose which really should have been changed anyway.

I still want another, although these days I can't justify one either for the fun of it or as a long distance vehicle, which is what I need these days.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
land%20rovers%20019.jpg
:You_Rock_ hi m8 land rover engine fitted with quick release clips lol. its had land rover 2.25na diesel & montego turbo diesel & ford transit 2.5di on series 3 box next 200tdi;)
and Range Rover wheels.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
land%20rovers%20019.jpg
:You_Rock_ hi m8 land rover engine fitted with quick release clips lol. its had land rover 2.25na diesel & montego turbo diesel & ford transit 2.5di on series 3 box next 200tdi;)

Don't know what its like in a Landrover but I absolutely love those engines, simple to work on, mechanical injection system (Bosch with mine) with no electronics involved.
Not fast but ultra reliable.

Just on the verge of scrapping my MK5 Transit, still got a great engine but can't be done with repairing all the bodywork anymore. If Ford had kept making them like that type I would still be buying them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE