deer deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've been away for a week in the Lakes, up in Martindale.

Stayed in an old shooting lodge, called 'The Bungalow'. No electricity. Gas mantle lights only. Tin bungalow with lovely inside lined with antlers. The candlesticks are the bottom third of a deer leg. Three double bedrooms with huge iron Victorian baths (there is a big gas water heater). The water supply is from a stream and not drinkable so you have to bring in water for drinking and cooking.

The valley has a few herds of red deer. I don't think there is much stalking done here anymore. It's managed by the Dalemain estate and in theory they still shoot. We visited Dalemain house, which is about 10miles away. They have a substantial herd of Fallow deer - over 130 were in one field.

It's a lovely spot. The road in is only just passable by ordinary car and the last 50 yards is quad bike or shank's pony only, up a very steep hill. There aren't any public footpaths in the valley so it is quiet, no walkers. The downside is that you can't just wander about on the hills and valley without getting permission from the (grumpy) farmer.

I'll try to sort some photos later.

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
Love the lakes. Or loved at least. My last visit a few weeks ago left me feeling really disappointed. Admittedly we did visit a fairly popular part of the lakes but nevertheless it was ridiculously busy. It got to a point where people were queuing to pass each other. I lost track of the number of people I saw in ridiculous clothing or footwear. Converse plimsolls........on a fell....?? I fear the lakes are now lost to commercialization and the berghaus masses.:sigh:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE