Deer antler dust and other musings.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
the gear was still out i decided to cut up some more bone and a couple of small antlers i was given a few years back for future projects. Since I had cleaned up once already the dust generated was pretty pure so i bagged it up after doing both types, cleaning up between the two jobs.

deerdust_zps65385f90.jpg

Ive since cleaned tthe lens!

Now I'm wondering if either material has any uses. What set me off saving it was the excellent natural glue kit British Red kindly sent me, the brick dust and ground up charcoal etc.

Since I had a spare 4mm yankee screw driver bit and some rather nice needle files I spent 10 mins knocking up a ring and dot auger to apply some decoration.

It worked rather well using a small yankee as a tempory handle but I then tried it extended, pumping it and it worked great! I dripped in some oak gall ink to bring the pattern out and that worked well as well.

ringdotmaker_zps0534bdb3.jpg

I'm thinking of adding some ring and dots to the bone scales on the roman ring knife I got the blade for from Nick

http://www.knivesbynick.co.uk/knife_kits.htm

Its up elsewhere but I'll stick em up here as well

RomanKnife01_zps20141b71.jpg

RomanKnife02_zpsb9bd29ef.jpg

If anyone knows uses for the dusts I'd be very interested in hearing them.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
By Gods I bet that stank :)

I can't see why it wouldn't work as a resin glue substrate. Saw dust is softer, brick dust is harder, so it should make a nice choice :)

If you made some antler resin, you could use it to flood a ring dot motif carved into wood (say on the seax etc.)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Even through a filter it stank! I nearly dug out a S10! No one else is in so it seamed a good time to do it I pity the fool who empties the hoover out!

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Baking powder :)

:yuck: but mix some with vinegar and if it froths then it's hartshorn and is used for baking biscuits.

atb,
M

Logical - its just calcium carbonate and acid in that mix so gives off CO2. Liking the idea of that.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is interesting Tom - stick with it to the "techniques" section

[video=youtube;slCMkvEfK_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slCMkvEfK_U[/video]

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks, I'm leery of eating the stuff as I don't know where it came from, and I still have packets of catering hartshorn from back when a Scandinavian member of this parish sourced me some. Not bad but the slight ammonia smell put the kids off the biscuits I made, despite me making th em real thin to let the gas escape.

The use as a filler ideas I really like, as I tend to have, er, little accidents, when making stuff. I save fine sawdust to mix with wood glue already.

Evidentially you can make glue from the ground bones

https://www.fine-tools.com/G10008.htm

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Had a bigger rusty Yankee bit in a job lot of tools so made a 8mm wide ring and dot.

imagejpg1_zpsc2a7c3de.jpg

All done with a needle file and a makita power file, which you can do surprisingly delicate stuff with.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally used the large ring and dot maker. I needed to make a couple of Anglo Saxon style crosses so flattened a piece of cow horn and a bit of buffalo horn by boiling and pressing (after I made it the cow horn slowly curled back a bit, way it goes)

Excuse the iPad "quality" pics

imagejpg1_zpse601e774.jpg

Herself plaited me a linen thread necklace for this which I rubbed through wax. Rings inked in with oak gall ink.

imagejpg2_zps47b955ef.jpg

From what I've read they think the five ring and dots are the five wounds of Christ. I didn't have any real red ochre so I used some Humbrol I use on my little wargames sailing ships to represent that sort of paint. If I'd thought I'd have dug out the wife's water colours and used one of the reds there and then varnished over the top..

atb

Tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I don't know, I think the slight curve adds a certain je ne sais quoi to it. It gives it a more organic feel as some pieces can look like resins as they're so (read too) sharply cut.

By the way the Roman Ring Knife is pretty special too, like that a lot.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

i shall be making a better sheath for the Roman knife when I finish doing a bit of research. They have dug up three Roman leather sheaths at Vindolanda and another at Ribchester . I'm waiting on more info from one place and a dig report from the other to get more information befor I start cutting leather. For once the local library has let me down getting a copy of the book with the Ribchester info so I will have to chase them up.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE