Deejo knives...what is it about them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I have a deejo knife, my wife bought it for me one Christmas.

At first I was not impressed, not much in the handle, weak lockup, thin blade, rubbish 420 steel that is very soft and does not hold an edge in anyway....and I have resharpened it in hope that harder steel was behind the original edge, but no luck.

e90bda2f2c6de3fa473757c44e95b2af.jpg
b2ca7434bb272c96be81e8faf0ffcc6e.jpg
e7df119cf58397806734ce99f5ffc723.jpg

So on paper there is not much going for it....but why do I like?

It has the fidget factor, it is light and for some reason it feels good in the hand, and a big part of me wants to see how it throws :)

For me, it is a gentlemans / gentle lady's knife for dining and possibly a dress up knife, if you can get passed that fact that it's a locking blade.

So has anyone else had experiences with the deejo knives, or others that on paper don't fit the bill, but for you are keepers.

For me, if they did this knife in S30v or another higher end steel, I would be all over it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its very elegant looking.
I remember lusting after a Featherstone & Durber pocket knife when I was about 20 for very similar reasons. Never bought one though.

Reactions: gra_farmer

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Im no knife expert but that looks like a `style over substance` device.

Has anyone contacted the makers about the practical shortcommings? They look as if a lot of effort has gone into them. Im sure they wouldcare about what a user might say?

Drop them a note and let them know. They might ask for assistance. Someone I know got a job from a company by letting them know about the failings of their product.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I had not thought about emailing them, just chalked up the soft steel to the fact that it is very end level steel.

@Stew I remember the CRKT Kiss, I liked that ages ago, but never tried one.

I am thinking this would be a great project knife, a thin bit of HSS milling steel for a new blade, and it would be perfect

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Email sent to Deejo, cheers everyone for the recommendation.

Let's see if mine was a production error and also more info about their heat treat and blade hardness.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They claim to be French made, but I’ve seen very similar on the Chinese sites which would fit the lousy steel, it’s probably Aus8 or 440. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find the manufacture was outsourced.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
They claim to be French made, but I’ve seen very similar on the Chinese sites which would fit the lousy steel, it’s probably Aus8 or 440. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find the manufacture was outsourced.
The steel is claimed to be 420, so even lower....this is butter knife steel, but mine acts more like 304 stainless

I have emailed them, let's see what they say?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The more I look at the site, the more I see mutton dressed as lamb. They seem to be pushing the ‘exclusive’ personalisation and not really giving a knife user any information about the actual product. It’s definitely not a knife for me. I’ve been drawn by several innovative CRKT knives over the years, like the Snap Lock. They’re fun enough, but in no way practical.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
The more I look at the site, the more I see mutton dressed as lamb. They seem to be pushing the ‘exclusive’ personalisation and not really giving a knife user any information about the actual product. It’s definitely not a knife for me. I’ve been drawn by several innovative CRKT knives over the years, like the Snap Lock. They’re fun enough, but in no way practical.

Agreed, there has been a few I've seen over the years.

I relation to Deejo, well let's hope they get back to us, and give some more details....

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had not thought about emailing them, just chalked up the soft steel to the fact that it is very end level steel.

@Stew I remember the CRKT Kiss, I liked that ages ago, but never tried one.

I am thinking this would be a great project knife, a thin bit of HSS milling steel for a new blade, and it would be perfect

I have a KISS as my caving knife - keep it to hand around my neck. Small, flat and lightweight

Survived many muddy crawls. Easy to clean.

Hard to beat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE