decorum hot cakes. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A few days ago I began to wonder if I could make a solid fuel type fire-lighter using odds and ends I'd got lying around.

This is what I came up with:
s2020002aws0.jpg

The container is a baking case and the fire lighter comprises wood shavings soaked in and bound together by melted candle stubs, topped with a cotton wool ball.

s2020003aht4.jpg

Because of the cotton wool the cake will light from a ferro-rod.

s2020005akt8.jpg

The hot cake fully alight.

s2020007ata6.jpg

It took 8 minutes to boil half a pint of water.

s2020008awg0.jpg

Although very blackened the kettle was easy to wipe clean.

s2020009axq9.jpg

Still going well at 15 minutes.

s2020011anz6.jpg

At 18 minutes the cake was still alight - mainly a hot coal now.

s2020012agy0.jpg

At 20 minutes the coal is just starting to become smokey.

The hot cake is also a very good fire-lighter for those occasions when you really need a quick sure-fire way of lighting a fire.

The one thing that I forgot to add? The piece of tin foil for the cake to sit on!
Without the foil some of the wax, instead of being used as fuel, dripped uselessly onto the floor.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers all - it's fun finding things to do with left overs :D
One of the daftest questions I've heard recently was 'What're you going to do with that then?' (Obviously refering to the hot cakes) I thought I'd make a funny and growled 'BURN IT ALL!' - I don't think he realised I was joking :) .
Next I'll see what I can do with sea grass :D

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
fire lighter comprises wood shavings soaked in and bound together by melted candle stubs

by soaked in candle stubs do you mean the wax ? (im kinda new to this) how excatly did you put it together.

looks like a great firelighter

thanks

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Ive done this kinda before made a monster of a candle, i put 3 standard candles in a bean tin and let them melt then with wood shaving i had from these planks of wood i mixed in until the tin was 3 quarters full and chucked a cotton wall ball on didnt burn for 15 minutes though lol maybe 7 at that

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi David,

Bowl in a partially water-filled sauce-pan - exactly the same method as melting chocolate. :D

Have a look at this site - for chocolate use wax and for rice crispys use wood shavings.
Please Note: This is only an example of how to do it and not how I did do it - most importantly my melting bowl had a smaller diameter and was much, much deeper than the casserole dish lid shown!.
http://www.makeschooleasy.com/cook/chocolatecakes.php

Hi cal,

For somethings smaller is better - the bigger and hotter the fire the quicker the fuel that you're using will be consumed :D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Very nifty I like them! As you mentioned sitting on foil would save some wax from dripping away so would it not be better to use a small foil 'cup' rather than the greaseproof cake cup? Or would that give too good an insulator and as said burn the fuel too quick?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
This is a version of what I forgot to add for the initial pics:
s2020002afz9.jpg

A combination drip-pan/wind-shield. Because the heat was more contained and directed it brought the burn time down to 13 minutes.

greenphotos

Aug 7, 2007
Hampshire
Just a quick question from a newbie... I thought the angle of the supports on the hex burner should be vertical - otherwise you risk them collapsing and spilling things... ?

Mark

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My hexi stand has two-position "dimples" and "pimples" so it is designed to hold vertical or angled......long time since I used it though!

A

Alex.W

cool idea! I might have to try this. Do you still have the baking case in the new version?

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I use something similar for starting a fire in poor weather but I would imagine the cake papers a bit too loose for easy transportation and being thin and loose they would burn pretty quick so. . .
Next time you're out and the kids are screaming for a burger at a certain fast food emporium grab a few of those nifty little waxed paper ketchup tubs and fill them with wood shavings candle wax and top em off with cotton wool for a neat little bundle that works well.

Just a thought : )
Kev

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
one cotton wool ball split into 4 each peace soaked in moltern candle wax Hey presto its all been done before I know - each peace will burn for 5 to 6 mins yes I know it wont boil a cupper but will with a carfully placed bundle of wood youve got it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE