Decisions...decisions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That's a classic...Worth keeping, just for proof that a Council actually admitted making a mistake...:laugh:

I’m not sure we still have it, I hope we do. All the yearly calculations laid out on paper, and an optional form to fill in if we didn’t agree with their decision. :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mate, we got a council tax refund of 7 pence a while ago, I think I kept the letter somewhere. It had us in stitches laughing, all the official calculations and admittance to an oversight on their part. :D
I presume that’s similar to the way we get income tax “refunds” here? We pay our estimated tax all year long and then once a year file for a “refund” of the excess paid. If it’s the same type situation then it’s technically incorrect to call it a refund (likewise it’s just as incorrect when we call ours a refund over here) Technically we’re just getting our change.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, council tax is a fixed rate per property worked out on a means basis. Throw in a period of no work due to medical problems and that creates a change of income if a financial government benefit is applied for, like income support or a disability payment. The benefit claim then causes a temporary reduction of council tax and lots of recalculations made. Basically, it throws a spanner in the works.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
No complaints here, I'm a happy, contented old geezer really, £1.27 just struck me as really funny. I never forget there are other wrinklies a lot worse off than me.
I've just got notification of my pension increase: sixpence ha'penny! It would have bought half a pint of mild ale when I first started paying in.

SWMBO were reminiscing about the night we met in1961 when I bought her a ginger beer and a pint for me at a cost of two shillings (10p). My pay at the time was about £6 a week or enough to buy 60 rounds. Last time we went in our local, a pint and a ginger beer cost £7.50, so to buy 60 similar rounds today would require a weekly income of £470 in comparison with the £150 my OAP gives me or enough to buy only 20 rounds of a pint and a ginger beer. No wonder pubs are closing down but it keeps me sober!

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just started drawing my Social Security benefits a few months ago (our version of your oap) I still wish I’d been allowed to just keep the money I was forced to pay into it over my career and invested it myself. I’d have a few million by now had I invested it instead of having it stolen by said government.

Fortunately I do have 3 real retirement checks from 2 careers and an investment plan so I Consider the Social Security check a supplement to them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm still paying my National Insurance.
Average life expectancy in my country is about 82, so on balance, we reckon we're winning.
Free bus pass, free prescriptions, free eye tests and discounts on specs, most dentistry work, free hearing tests and aids. I think we're doing okay.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The money you paid went to paying the pensions of your parents and grand parents, just as what I am paying is going towards your pension.

A decade ago I came to terms with the idea that there would be no state pension by the time I get to retirement age...probably at 75, 35 years from now! Mind you, if one believes the warnings of climate change over the next 30 years, I will probably be grateful if we haven't all starved or had society collapse on us!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
In just over 4 years I will have been retired for as long as I was in uniform, (25 years) for which, having been blown up and shot at, I get a pension...:D
Soon the letters from HM Government will start arriving..." How are you feeling?"...." Have you seen a Doctor lately?"...and then they will probably change in tone..." Look Matey, we've been shelling out service pension money to you for over a quarter of a Century...isn't it about time you snuffed it?"...:laugh: :laugh:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it might surprise you, Chris. I sincerely hope it does anyway.
If big business and banks can make money from folks paying small sums, why can't the Govt ?

Besides, I have every intention of still being here in thirty five years time !

My great, great granny was 102 when she peacefully went to sleep, and the life dates on the family lair stones are all of fairly impressive longevity, so we'll hope.

We do have 'private' pensions, etc., but I think I still like the reassurance of a Govt. one.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm still paying my National Insurance.
Average life expectancy in my country is about 82, so on balance, we reckon we're winning.
Free bus pass, free prescriptions, free eye tests and discounts on specs, most dentistry work, free hearing tests and aids. I think we're doing okay.

M
I get all that as part of my military retirement. That’s separate from the Social Security. Likewise my retirement from my civilian career afterwards pays my insurance premiums.

Average life expectancy here is 78.6 but half of my immediate ancestors (both parents and one grandparent) did in their early to mid 60s so my odds of ever getting back anywhere near what I paid in are slim at best.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The money you paid went to paying the pensions of your parents and grand parents, just as what I am paying is going towards your pension.

A decade ago I came to terms with the idea that there would be no state pension by the time I get to retirement age...probably at 75, 35 years from now! Mind you, if one believes the warnings of climate change over the next 30 years, I will probably be grateful if we haven't all starved or had society collapse on us!
That was supposed to be the way it worked. In reality my parents never lived long enough to draw it. They too would have done better had they been allowed to invest it instead.

I just started drawing it myself a few months ago when I turned 62 (the earliest,you,can draw reduced benefits) Half my immediate ancestors (both my parents and one grandparent) all died in their early to mid 60s so my odds of getting back anywhere near what I paid in (mules what it would have compounded to had I invested it) are slim at best as I answered Toddy above.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In just over 4 years I will have been retired for as long as I was in uniform, (25 years) for which, having been blown up and shot at, I get a pension...:D
Soon the letters from HM Government will start arriving..." How are you feeling?"...." Have you seen a Doctor lately?"...and then they will probably change in tone..." Look Matey, we've been shelling out service pension money to you for over a quarter of a Century...isn't it about time you snuffed it?"...:laugh: :laugh:
Some things are the same the world over. I drew my first retirement check from th Air Force 28 years ago. My first one from the State of Florida (cop retirement) in 2010. Neither are excited that I’m still alive.

Reactions: Robson Valley

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My sons were interested to learn how the Inuit and some First Nations elders behave when they become a burden on the younger generation. We were expecting a joint one- way ticket to Point Barrow and a reserved ice floe on which we would be cast adrift. However, global warming had put paid to their plans so we expect to continue to be a burden unless they come up with a new idea.

Somewhat concerned that grandchildren are looking at Richard Branson's and Elon Musk's plans for space excursions!

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE