Decent shoe for hot an humid weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Hi all

I'm off to hawaii in a few weeks and am planning on doing a few hikes. Terain is changeable to say the least. Rocky, steep, jungle, river crossing, grass or sandy. And that's just the first mile of the trail.

The weather will be hot and humid and there are usually a fair few showers and occasional 2 minute monsoons.

All I have currently is a big pair of berghaus boots which fit great but weigh a ton and will get a bit sweaty/full of water.

Anyone got experience of jungle suited shoes and socks ?

Mahalo

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/moab-ventilator/16219M.html

I've used these for hot and humid stuff, they've been durable and very comfortable and can be had for just a little over £60 delivered on amazon uk.

I don't mind damp feet for a while in conditions such as you describe and these dry very quickly - I wear them without socks; if I was bothered about it I'd team 'em up with some sealskinz socks to stay dry. They do a GTX version, but the water would come over the top whilst crossing rivers and they'd cook my feet......plus they're a fair bit dearer.

Last edited:

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Looks like they have them in sports direct so I might have a try on!

I agree that quick drying is more valuable than waterproof!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Sounds like your going to need a bit of ankle support on these walks. Try the old issue lowa desert boots on ebay, available new now for about £60-£70 which is a bargain really. They break in very nicely and dry quick enough.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Sounds like your going to need a bit of ankle support on these walks. Try the old issue lowa desert boots on ebay, available new now for about £60-£70 which is a bargain really. They break in very nicely and dry quick enough.
That was going to be my suggestion too. I've got a pair and they're nice boots. Not the lightest but they will give you plenty of ankle support, are great on rough terrain and obviously very breathable - you could do a lot worse.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Israeli Army boots.

Probably excellent kit and I'm sure that they would be fine for a trip to Hawaii but there are quite a few countries in North Africa, the Middle East and elsewhere (including a few where you may find yourself in transit) where the authorities can take a dim view of anyone who has an Israeli stamp in their passport or may have a connection with Israel. Wearing or carrying something associated with the IDF or just with a "Made in Israel" label could make life unnecessarily complicated.

More generally, it is also worth bearing in mind that unlike Europe and the US where military surplus stores are a standard source of clothing and kit for anyone working or playing in the outdoors and camouflage clothing is a fashion choice, in many countries military kit is only worn by the armed forces*/agents of repression* or terrorists*/narco-gangs*/freedom fighters*(*delete as applicable) and they haven't heard of Ray Mears. Some countries, particularly in the Caribbean have a complete ban on cammo and warry kit.

With surplus kit generally, bear in mind that the overseas expeditions our armed forces have been engaged in over the last couple of decades have not been universally popular around the world and it might better to avoid having to explain who Corporal Bloggs (the guy whose crossed out name is on the boots/kit you are wearing/carrying) might have been and what he might have trodden in or been carrying that caused the sniffer dog or machine to get excited.

I'm probably being over cautious (certainly in relation to a one off trip to Hawaii), but IME, its best to be aware of local sensitivities and to avoid attracting unnecessarily attention from over-zealous (and/or baksheesh seeking) authority figures. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Have you thought about the british army sandal, for a tenner a pair?

Not for everyone I know but I've walked in some quite arduous terrain over the years wearing all terrain sandals, my current pair are British Army issue.

I appreciate that some folks feel they need ankle support, probably with good reason, I've always tried to travel light and appreciate the flexibility of being able to move my feet around with each step, also not wearing boots and not having to carry and wash socks makes travel much easier.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE