decent jacket for winter camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
so after this weekend's camping trip i have decided that i need a decent thick jacket to wear when out camping in winter.
i don't want to wear a billion layers beneath it just base layer, shirt and wooly pully mainly as i think that the many collars and layers i wore last weekend resulted in my nasty headache

any suggestions folks?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's bloody hot when doing any activity even with all the flaps and zips open.

But around the camp i found my old Buffalo top was fantastic.
Good thing is you wear it next to the skin so you don't have to carry masses of layers.
Plus as it's basically 3 layers in one i found it lighter than carrying 3 layers.
It also keeps you warm even when wet.

As i say the only downside is even in the depths of a Scottish winter i still found i was getting to hot uphills.
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/Products_main.htm

Cheers
Mark

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Snugpak softie shirt for me. Had mine ....ten years I think ? As much gaffa tape as perfect now (blackthorn snags an barb wire) but still does the job. I prefer its lining than pile and better roo pocket in my mind.

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

Yorkshire

Nov 2, 2010
Newcastle
I have this, very warm only need a base layer or t shirt underneath, had to unzip it yesterday while walking. Temp was around 2 degrees puddles were still frozen. You can also take out the button in quilted liner

g_jackets_m65.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
For a very warm option, on a budget + lightweight and compressible, the issue version of the snugpak softie jacket is a good option. You can get matching trousers too which are a godsend in the evenings.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Have to go along with snozz and give a thumbs up for the Montane Extreme Smock,fantastic bit of kit,you could overheat if doing anything physical,but Montane has provided zips at the sides and chest for ventilation.Just dont get to close to fires.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
At this time of year, a down jacket always goes with me. I managed to score a few this year from the charity shops-all shower proof cotton or polycotton too, so they won't get many ember holes. £10 each is a bargain.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Although montane smocks are designed to work best against the skin i always wear my swanndri and then when i stop i chuck on my montane but instead of the smock i got the jacket as the smocks can be a pain if you want to take off and put on wenever you stop. They are warm though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE