Decent Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Rolling boil, three - four heaped spoonfuls of grounds thrown in when the pot is put to one side. After a few minutes give a good stir and settle the pot at a slight angle so the grounds gather on the base on the side of pour (minimises disturbance when pouring). When settled tip gently into your favourite mug and relax...

Picture035copy.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My favorite coffee is French press. As good or better than cowboy coffee imo. Usually cowboy coffee is overcooked for my taste. Probably 5 years or so ago I bought a couple single cup French press mugs from some guy over at British Blades. The cups are labeled smartcafe. This works a treat for good coffee on the trail. This is a double wall plastic cup. I think you can get cup sized French presses in stainless steel now. Might be the same weight or lighter. When I am car camping, I use the larger glass French presses. French presses are also much easier to clean in the woods than at home. Just rinse and pitch the grounds. No sink to mess up.

As for instant, Starbucks has a new instant they are test marketing called Via. I hate instant coffee with a passion but this Via is a whole different breed. Fill your cup with this and after awhile, you forget you are drinking instant. I hope they bring it to the full market soon. Schwert works at Starbucks and sent me some samples awhile back, and then I was in Chicago and bought some more. Turns out Chicago is one of their test markets. Stuff is kinda expensive but it sure is convenient and it's pretty darn good coffee.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I had a crack at cowboy coffee at the weekend ,
Made loads , Lavaza red in cold water bring to boil , simmer , lid on let it cool for a couple of mins , Never bothered with the spash of cold water ,
Then topped up with water as needed added a bit more coffee and rebrewed ....hmmm loverly
2006_0116wolf0013.jpg

Twodogs

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Does anyone know the best way of getting a decent coffee while out in the woods?

Hi,
Have one of the GSI expresso makers and very good at making a tensy demitrassé (spelling?) cup of coffee, be carefull though as the get very hot and fiddly on a decent stove. You also need to cool down or have gloves between cups. GSI also have a lexan cafittiere which'll do a normal cup size.

On the cowboy coffee rather than one use coffee filters get an old "tea" strainer, they come with metal or plastic mesh, last for ever and are handy if you have to strain something else. On the straining front I've seen a lot of folk loose their noodles / pasta as they use a lid to strain off the water, I have my pots in a fine-ish mesh bag and use that! no burnt fingers and a quick rinse in water and your pots go back in.

Cowboy coffee does rock in the morning though.

Goatboy.

Jun 13, 2009
London
I've just tried some Sainsburys Premium Brand coffee bags. They are a sort of cross between a coffe bag and a filter. they stand in your cup and you pour hot (not boiling) water through the top to fill the cup. leave to stand for a few minutes then remove. the bag is filter paper with a cardboard "throat" so the whole thing is biodegradeable. they are the most expensive coffe bags I've tried, but as a rule you get what you pay for.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hate you Red, just decided.

First the Nessmuk, and now this -Sumatra-Raja-Batak-Lingtong

Love Java coffee, and this seems to be the top end stuff. Oddly, I have found the cheaper I have paid the better the coffee tastes. The Whitard, and the starbucks Javas, both pale when compared to the Tesco's cheap brand, and my current, just purchased Aldi brand is the best so far.

One quick point, if you do not like strong coffee, avoid the shop Javas, they tend to be their strength five coffees.

For in the wild have a look at this thread, this seems to be like what some of us were trying to work out in the last coffee thread.

CapheVn Coffee Filter

The person on ebay selling, lead me to a google search and there are two different companies at least selling a similar idea, but might be worth a think and some diy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

I use a device called a "swiss gold filter" that wroks just like a CapheVn filter but has an amazingly fine mesh to trap all the grounds. A local shop was selling them off cheap so I bought a few. I use them at home now for a single cup too. Very, very good bit of kit

Red

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
:)

I use a device called a "swiss gold filter" that wroks just like a CapheVn filter but has an amazingly fine mesh to trap all the grounds. A local shop was selling them off cheap so I bought a few. I use them at home now for a single cup too. Very, very good bit of kit

Red

Those look very interesting, not just from a bushcraft point of view, but for my machine as well.

Got one of those Nylon filters at moment it is useless.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Its like a caftiere/mug; the press bit fits in a groove down the inside and comes out completely to put the ground coffee in then just use as a caftiere but when completely depressed it sits snug
Confession time I have one I picked up cheap but never actually take camping I just make my coffee in billy and drain out after settling

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
i use these smartcafe mugs every day - use them at work and at home as the missus does not drink tea or coffee. I know that some people have had mixed opinions on them but i have been using the same 2 (very regularly) for the last 2 years with no probs and one of the docs at work has been using them longer.

All in all still my favorite way for real coffee outside. (or inside when im busy as well).

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE