Debate: Big cats, wolves & Wild boar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
torjusg said:
The beaver too is very gainly for the landscape. It clears the forest and make artificial wetlands. Also, when the dams fill up with organic matter they become excellent soils.

True enough. What are (were?) the natural predators of the beaver? If they're all gone as well, reintroduction of the beaver stands a good chance of being disastrous and one might consider it in the same scope as introduction of an invasive species. The southern tip of South America got a whole bunch of Canadian beavers a number of years ago for a fur breeding program and without predators they've multiplied like rabbits, denuded the landscape of trees, dammed up every little stream in sight and created a wasteland. Mucking about with the ecosystem most often has unintended and unwanted consequences.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Voivode said:
True enough. What are (were?) the natural predators of the beaver? If they're all gone as well, reintroduction of the beaver stands a good chance of being disastrous and one might consider it in the same scope as introduction of an invasive species. The southern tip of South America got a whole bunch of Canadian beavers a number of years ago for a fur breeding program and without predators they've multiplied like rabbits, denuded the landscape of trees, dammed up every little stream in sight and created a wasteland. Mucking about with the ecosystem most often has unintended and unwanted consequences.

The wolf, lynx, wolvarine and bear all take beaver.

Terra del Fuego is very different from Britain in this regard. Beavers are natural in Britain. The trees in Europe are able to cope with "predation" from beavers.

Also, the American beaver breeds faster than the European one. It is also more industrious.

There is little doubt, that placed in an area let's say in Wales or Scotland with lots of wood and little people beavers would be a big success. I am certain of it. In Telemark there is virtually no conflict between human interests and the beavers. Occationally, when there is a conflict, you can kill those individuals and tear downt their dams.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
torjusg said:
I am certain of it. In Telemark there is virtually no conflict between human interests and the beavers. Occationally, when there is a conflict, you can kill those individuals and tear downt their dams.

The problem with the beaver project in Scotland, as far as a remember, was fishermen complaining that the beavers would eat all there fish weather this is a real problem i don't know. Im also not shore weather they did go ahead with it or not, I hope they did.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
WhichDoctor said:
The problem with the beaver project in Scotland, as far as a remember, was fishermen complaining that the beavers would eat all there fish weather this is a real problem i don't know.

I can debunk that right away. The beaver does not eat fish. NEVER ;)

In fact it may have a rather positive effect on the fishery. Some of the bigger dams can become excellent habitat for trout. Have tested that myself.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
torjusg said:
I can debunk that right away. The beaver does not eat fish. NEVER ;)

In fact it may have a rather positive effect on the fishery. Some of the bigger dams can become excellent habitat for trout. Have tested that myself.

Yeah, I can vouch for the non-carnivorous nature of the beaver as well as the habitat building.

The only reason I asked about the predators is that it seems like there is a lack of big predators in Britain anymore (thus the thread) and that would preclude them keeping beaver populations in balance. :)

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Britain is the least wooded and most highly populated of all the european countries so any reintroductions may have consequences for all . There are fears tho that the wolf may be reintroduced in some misplaced scheme . The wild cats that may be around will possibly be to sparsly populated to breed

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
This is a misconception; Britain is far from the least wooded country in Europe, many have far less forest and woodland cover across them.

With regards to rare animals just because something is hardly seen does not prove it is rare just. Many people including experts claim some species are rare so therefore endangered because of low sighting numbers which had lead to several so called extinct species world wide reappearing

E

Enok

laurens ch said:
I like the idea but in practice I don’t think it would work, people in the uk are too used to a countryside where there are no wild animals that could potentially harm them. I just can’t see people respecting the animals and keeping their distance. Maybe I’m being overly cynical but I think there would be cases where people try to stroke wolves or start feeding them etc

So they die and we get rid of the idiots!!!

whats the problem lol :twak:

But seriously i think that although it would be brilliant to have all these animals back, it could never work with our population

Jackdaw

There's a project in or around Aviemore that wants to release Wolves back into the high ranges as there are too many Red Deer, which have too few food sources, that are now trying to eat the Heather, which is damaging the moorland (we have some of the best moorland in the world).

Pretty much all the scientific bodies think this is a great idea in that it will give them an opportunity to study the species close up. Even local farmers are okay about the idea (compensation).

The people objecting against the project are the Ramblers Association who have argued that they might like to wander freely in the area under the Right to Roam act. This being despite the fact that the proposed site has no established pathways and that at best estimates around 100 people a year access the area.

Problem is, the Ramblers Association have a very loud voice and don't like anyone else to enjoy their land.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'd love to see native species reintroduced. Whether it would work or not is a different matter, but if we don't try, we'll never know. Even if we do reintroduce wolves to the high remote places and they fail to thrive, there will be lessons to learn from that. If they do thrive, then a little more balance of nature will have been put right. The problems with red deer need to be addressed anyway, and reintroducing wolves will provide a natural culling that will root out the weak and old and save them from a long lingering death.

Wild boar are already around certain parts and thrive happily where they have spread into. Care needs to be taken I admit around these creatures habitats but with a bit of planning and forethought we can lessen the personal risks of coming face to face with a big tusker.

I don't think wild cats will pose a problem. We have them now, but so few have actually been seen that it's unlikely that they'll become predatory towards humans.

A possible advantage might be that the idiot day trippers who currently polute our lovely countryside with their rubbish, beer cans, condoms and syringes might be too scared to visit the countryside and stay in the big cities, thereby leaving the wild places to people who understand and appreciate it for what it is. The scare mongering that the press will no doubt subscribe to will help to ensure these people fear far more than they really need to. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be happier giving a respectful wide birth to any wolf I was lucky enough to spot, even if I had to go some miles out of my way, than carrying out bags full of someone elses empty beer cans.

Eric

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
here here eric!
p.s. what the hell are that ramblers association talking about. How would the wolves affect the right to roam?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
jerv said:
here here eric!
p.s. what the hell are that ramblers association talking about. How would the wolves affect the right to roam?

Can I just have a guess? Either they are prohibited to roam because of the possibility of scaring wolves away from their prey. Or they are afraid of them. :rolleyes:

PS! By the way Jerv, are you Scandinavian? The reason why I am asking is because of your nickname.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Enok said:
So they die and we get rid of the idiots!!!

whats the problem lol :twak:
Yes they die :sulkoff: , then there family get upset :soapbox: sues the government :deal: , the government kill all the wolves :AR15firin , then no more wolves again :sadwavey: :(.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
torjusg I am a Scot. Half my family are from Norway though. I grew big sideburns once and a friend said I look like a Norweigan version of the marvel character wolverine. Hence Jerv or Jarv with an umlaut over the "a". Love scandinavia though, absolute heaven. Think I was born in the wrong country!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE