Deathfall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Is that a deadfall or deathfall?

Never heard of a deathfall, if someone could explain that to me as well. :confused:

A deadfall is a trap that can be used to trap/kill any sized prey.

A baited trigger sets off a large heavy lump (usually a tree branch/log) that will crush the prey. Obviously the biiger the animal you are going for the heavier the "deadfall" neads to be!

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Michiel,

If you are talking about "Deadfall" a trap for animals, basically it is a heavy weight a log or large rock that is rigged to fall when a trip is activated by an animal.

There are a few reference in this forum, Stuart has documented someof this traps.

Moduser

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
have a look at these and see if they answer your questions there are other types but these should get you started

Paiute deadfall

figure four deadfall

just a word of caution in the uk these traps are ileagal and should not be used practice by all means making these triggers is fun but dismantle your traps before you leave

oops just noticed M your in belgium i dont know there leagal status over there can anyone help?

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah theres a certain one where you suspend a large weight, for example a log or rock over a tree limb with a rope and theres a release system below, thats baited. Animal takes the bait, crack. I think theres a combo one with spiked logs too. Lofty Wiseman's book is full of good ones.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
he he:lmao: dave that book you linked to looks like fiction to me mate and not a study of trapping at all:D
amazon review:

the story begins in 1971 when plans for an American rapprochement with China are under way. The success of the mission demands a covert operation in Tibet teaming CIA operative Jeffrey Thorne and British agents Elena Maltby, an Anglo-Indian widow, and Brady, an ex-sergeant in the Irish army. Carrying a small nuclear bomb, the three climb to a mountain site to seek "Deadfall," an annihilating weapon invented and hidden by Maltby's father before Chinese soldiers killed him and his wife

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
here's an example of a "figure 4" deadfall that stuart demo'd at last years moot. it's perched in the base of a tree to get squirrels and would typically be baited with fungi.

fig_4.jpg

if you want to practise making trap triggers in a humane way, i highly recommend the use of kittens and laundry baskets! :D

which is to say, use the basket upside down like a cribbet trap to catch live kittens, use turkey slices as bait :rolleyes:

attempting to whittle kittens is both messy and exceedingly uncomfortable.

cheers, and.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
michiel said:
Yeah that's what i meant. A deadfall. Can someone post pics of it and how to build it?

Michiel
Who has been annoying you then ? :)

It like this :twak: but a bigger stick

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
sargey said:
There is a better use for cats.

Clamp one under your left arm so it is facing backwards. Put the end of the tail gently between your teeth and hold a back leg in each hand with your fingers on the underside of its feet.

At the appointed moment bite on the tail and wiggle your fingers.

Anybody watching and hearing the noise of the cat will be convinced that you are playing the bag pipes. :joke:

T

Tribaljamin

Zodiak said:
There is a better use for cats.

Clamp one under your left arm so it is facing backwards. Put the end of the tail gently between your teeth and hold a back leg in each hand with your fingers on the underside of its feet.

At the appointed moment bite on the tail and wiggle your fingers.

Anybody watching and hearing the noise of the cat will be convinced that you are playing the bag pipes. :joke:

Hilarious!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
sargey said:
here's an example of a "figure 4" deadfall that stuart demo'd at last years moot. it's perched in the base of a tree to get squirrels and would typically be baited with fungi.

fig_4.jpg

if you want to practise making trap triggers in a humane way, i highly recommend the use of kittens and laundry baskets! :D

which is to say, use the basket upside down like a cribbet trap to catch live kittens, use turkey slices as bait :rolleyes:

cheers, and.

thats my trigger that stuart used :D i cut my finger when i made it :eek:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
jdlenton said:
have a look at these and see if they answer your questions there are other types but these should get you started

Paiute deadfall

figure four deadfall

just a word of caution in the uk these traps are illegal and should not be used practice by all means making these triggers is fun but dismantle your traps before you leave

oops just noticed M your in belgium i dont know there legal status over there can anyone help?

They would be illegal in Belgium & the Netherlands aswell, though practising how to make them in your backgarden (or even in your local woods) wouldn't be really a problem, as long as you never ever leave them out of sight (an animal won't be caught whilst a humanbeing is within 2 metres of it - figure of speech).

Don't cut your finger like James did :nana: ;)

EDIT to add: making traps requires you to carry a knife ... check your local laws regarding knives, etc. And when practising making such a trap, don't do it where 'innocent' bypassers can see you, otherwise you scare the living daylights out of them :D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Mousetraps are illegal in Holland so I'd expect these to be.

I lived there for a couple of years and 'smuggled' some breakback traps in.

The last straw was when the the critters started cr*pping in my cornflakes...

...and I only noticed when I'd finished eating them (the cornflakes, not the mice).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE