Death of my old Ranger 15T :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Well having had my love of the outdoors re-kindled well and truly by you good people on here I visited my parents again to bring back some more pieces of my old kit (or antiques as someone refered to it in another post :p ) & I found something rather sad.

My old Silva Ranger 15T has died, it looks like the clinometer needle has rusted away completely and the paint on the main needle has also peeled back & curled up and down against the top and bottom, stopping it rotating at all.

RANGER15TFRONT27102011257.jpg

I know it's just a piece of kit, but this was my first compass & was a present from my dad. :puppy_dog

In it's time it's got both of us down off the fells & through the Highlands & islands on both land and water in visibility where you could barely see your feet or the bow for mist, cloud, rain or snow as well as the odd sunny day too of couse :) & been a constant companion whenever hiking or orienteering since I was back in single figures.

For any of the "youngsters" :p on here, this model harks back to the 60's when these were made with an aluminium bezel, proudly etched with the various worldwide patents all around the bottom, something not found on the later models.

RANGER15TBACK27102011258.jpg

Anyway enough sentimentality, :nono: I guess they'll replace it under its lifetime waranty, probably with a modern all plastic equivalent a Ranger 15TDCL complete with, what looks from the website to be a whole five year guarantee. :dunno:
Does Silva still offer lifetime guarentees? :sadwavey: old friend.

When they do, I'll probably keep that in it's packet and continue to use my spare one from the seventies :) (note the plain under bezel ring, even though the same model, cutbacks even then I guess)

RANGER15TGOODONE29102011259.jpg

There's what looks like slight signs of rust on the edge of the needle but I'll see how it goes.

I know exactly how lannyman felt when he dropped his old faithfull stove in the river.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Maybe an internet search will find someone who can service it, rather than replace it? You should hang on to it anyway, a bit of a family heirloom there. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE