Death (hibernation) of ground dwelling bugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Hey folks,
So the weather and temperatures are on the change right now as we head into autumn. I'm starting to wonder how cold does it need to be before one can have a slug & spider- free nights sleep on the ground?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I just use a natural insect repellent (such as the Life Systems Natural or a myrtle based one) and that keeps the slugs and spiders off all year.

Unfortunately, with these warm wet winters we've been getting, you can get slugs out any night as long as there's not a frost in my experience.

Reactions: Paul_Davies

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty much agree with what Broch has said. It needs to be hard cold to stop the slugs and snails, and if you disturb the leaf litter, and warm it in any way, you'll disturb everything from woodlice to spiders.

Joys of a temperate climate :)

Reactions: Paul_Davies

Paul_Davies

Oct 2, 2021
South Wales
Will give the suggestions a go. I imagine in theory a large mossy net attached to the ridgeline above could keep them pesky slugs at bay too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE