Extra long sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JroW84

Oct 11, 2016
Kent
Hi guys,

New to the forum and had a brief look but couldn't find anything on this. Apologies though if its been done to death already!

I am on the taller side of 6'5" (as in I'm 6'5.5", every little helps) and I have really struggled to find sleeping bags to fit me - always seems that I get cold shoulders as the buff is to low or cold feet where i cram myself in and compress the bottom. The summer hasn't been too bad as I normally hammock sleep with a foam mat under me (instead of an under-quilt) and just use the sleeping bag unzipped laying over me like a blanket so it doesn't matter that its short. The weather is slowly starting to change however and I am thinking of moving from hammock to bivvy bag, so my current "make do" approach with a sleeping bag wont work. I have had a really good look online and my options seem to be Alpkit (probably the Skyehigh 700 long) or one of the many Snugpak bags. I am a little hesitant to spend up to £150 on a sleeping bag though! Alpkit seems expensive but good quality and Snugpak have some really mixed reviews.

Anyone have any experience with the above or any other brands? Id be looking for a decent rating on a 3 season to get me through the winter and not overly fussed on down vs synthetic though weight is more of an issue.

Cheers for reading,

J

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
winter bags are "4 season", i prefer layering them up in winter, ie 2 bags, layers are better than one thick bag

You def dont want a cheap bag if you want to sleep in winter, unless you have a hot tent (stove heated for eg)

JroW84

Oct 11, 2016
Kent
In the past I have always gone with the comfort temperature as opposed to seasons, should have said that really (sorry!). For me a 4 season bag takes you down to a comfortable nights sleep at -10 to -15. With a liner and sleeping kit on that is way to hot for me for most winter camp outs in England, though I have only winter slept in tents previously and not with a tarp/bivvy so can't really comment on how that would change things. I am working on the idea that it would be broadly the same as in the hammock (probably a big mistake!) but with less heat loss from underneath?

J

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Depends how you set things up, i use foam sleeping mat in a hammock, but there are other factors, wind chill, moisture, etc, no 2 nights are the same really, tarp isnt my first choice in winter, even in the UK (occasionally used them while after pike, but thats not the same as sleeping the night thru)

JroW84

Oct 11, 2016
Kent
I think for me its about trying something new, never slept in a bivvy bag before and I may be well off in my estimations of it vs my capabilities! if needs be I can always layer with my current bag (cheapo mountain warehouse), I had never thought of that and it is a really good idea. Its more about the length though, i dont mind if my mountain warehouse is short if its nestled in something thats designed for a person my height.

J

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Agree with scarfell - you dont want a cheap bag in winter, and 3 season really isn't a winter (or arguably even early spring/late autumn) bag.

Alpkit seems expensive but good quality

Alpkit is a relatively cheap but good quality bag. Check out the cost of a decent 4 season down bag from Rab, Mountain Equipment, etc, your starting around £200 http://www.trekitt.co.uk/6900/products/rab-ascent-700-sleeping-bag-extra-long.aspx . You might get a very good deal on Tundra bags at the moment https://www.tundrasleepingbags.com/barn-sale , but even so, you'll get little change from £150, even for a Mountain Hardware synthetic bag.

£150 is cheap, hence the reason why Alpkit tends to sell out quick. Frankly, I'd go for the Skyehigh 900 - at £170 thats good value - you'd pay about £50 more for a Rab 700, and very slightly less for a Rab 900.
PhD do a great guide http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/the-truth-about-sleeping-bags, as does Alpkit, but I'd go to a decent shop, ask questions, and make sure (as far as you can) that the bag fits you. If you looking at weight, then it really has to be down. Good brands would be Rab, ME, MH, Tundra/Cumulus/Alpkit (all online only), and you'll find the first three in most shops. If you know the market and what your looking for, you can get a good deal - deals do come up via the heads up on this site plus the Outdoor Magic bargain thread. And if you know the sort of spec in terms of material/fill power/temp rating, you can get lucky. My ME bag was 50% off in a closing down sale - I wasn't looking for that bag, or even that temp rating, but I grabbed it when I saw it.

Spend as much as you can on your bag - its worth it, and adding an extra layer is seldom cost effective.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Hi guys,

New to the forum and had a brief look but couldn't find anything on this. Apologies though if its been done to death already!

I am on the taller side of 6'5" (as in I'm 6'5.5", every little helps) and I have really struggled to find sleeping bags to fit me - always seems that I get cold shoulders as the buff is to low or cold feet where i cram myself in and compress the bottom. The summer hasn't been too bad as I normally hammock sleep with a foam mat under me (instead of an under-quilt) and just use the sleeping bag unzipped laying over me like a blanket so it doesn't matter that its short. The weather is slowly starting to change however and I am thinking of moving from hammock to bivvy bag, so my current "make do" approach with a sleeping bag wont work. I have had a really good look online and my options seem to be Alpkit (probably the Skyehigh 700 long) or one of the many Snugpak bags. I am a little hesitant to spend up to £150 on a sleeping bag though! Alpkit seems expensive but good quality and Snugpak have some really mixed reviews.

Anyone have any experience with the above or any other brands? Id be looking for a decent rating on a 3 season to get me through the winter and not overly fussed on down vs synthetic though weight is more of an issue.

Cheers for reading,

J

Watch out for Snugpak, their temp ratings are a bit "optimistic" to say the least, they're also tight at the shoulder unless you buy an extra panel to zip into the bag.

The old issue 90 pat bag has kept me warm every winter I've used it, pared with a bivvy and good mat. The only snugpak I've owned is the softie 10, which is good enough temp wise but still tight at the shoulders, durable though and lighter than the issue bomb.

All the alpkit stuff i've got has been excellent quality for the price, their hukka bivvy and dirtbag mat are excellent and very comfy. The Filo down jacket they do is also great value.

Tonyuk

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
At 6'6" I found myself in a similar situation to OP when I wanted to upgrade my sleeping bag. I put a search in the sleeping bags section of eBay for 'down XL'. After a few months I was rewarded with an 'as new' Macpac Escapade 500 for £43. It's a 2/3 season bag but, with a Snugpak Thermalon liner, works fine for me through the Winter, ground dwelling in an army bivybag on a Vango Trek mat. In the interim, whilst waiting for the downy to turn up, I made myself what is effectively a DIY Buffalo bag. That is very snug and warm but is absolutely huge, taking up most of the PLCE longback I was using at the time. I just couldn't entertain it with the LK35 I now use.

JroW84

Oct 11, 2016
Kent
Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I will have another look at Alpkit at the skyehigh 900 and keep an eye on ebay too. I'm honestly not opposed to paying out for a decent bit of kit but with no recommendations and information relatively thin on the ground I find paying out £150 on a bag a bit much.

Tonyuk - I had come up with much the same conclusion from reviews I had read on the snugpaks but thanks for confirming this.

And I looked at Rab stuff this morning - ouch! I don't think I could stand a night in one of their bags, they look like coffins! Way to close for my liking.

Thanks again for the expierience and advice guys, taken on board and hopefully something will come up in a few weeks/month.

J

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
And I looked at Rab stuff this morning - ouch! I don't think I could stand a night in one of their bags, they look like coffins! Way to close for my liking.

Don't look, try! The Rab 900 is to be found at pretty much every Cotswolds and Go Outdoors, so you can actually see if it does fit. MH bag are to be found in Cotswolds as well. As for Alpkit, there are loads of good reviews online (but if you dont like it, they have excellent customer service), start with Outdoor magic,and this thread is about XL sleeping bags http://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/sho...ng-bags?highlight=skyhigh#157TrGRgP15ixLur.97

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I am 6'5'' and have struggled for years to get sleeping bags that fitted, not just length but across the shoulder. 3 years ago I got a Carinthia Defence 4 200 and Tropen 200, and have never looked back. Brilliant bags, cover all temps with single and combined use, and a great fit.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Def a personal choice, so its hard to make specific recommendations, everyone has different comfort levels regarding temp, and everyones a different shape, trying a few bags out first is a good idea

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Be advised that the temperature ratings on most military systems have nothing to do with "comfortable night's sleep" but rather they mean it's possible to sleep for a minimum of 4 hours without freezing. I suspect most civilian recreational bags are rated optimistically by their manufacturers as well.

Th US military's USGI Sleep System used to have a long version for taller troops; I would imagine it's still available but don't really know.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Be advised that the temperature ratings on most military systems have nothing to do with "comfortable night's sleep" but rather they mean it's possible to sleep for a minimum of 4 hours without freezing. I suspect most civilian recreational bags are rated optimistically by their manufacturers as well.

Th US military's USGI Sleep System used to have a long version for taller troops; I would imagine it's still available but don't really know.

That's why you look for those tested by the EN 13537 standard. It's not perfect, but once you know how hot or cold you sleep compared to the rated temperature, you know the offset for the rating for you. (So you are cold on a 5C night in a 5c rated comfort bag => you know that you need an 0-3C bag. Then if you want a bag to use in -10C, you know to go for a -15C bag etc.) For me it generally works out fine to the rating and a bit lower. I sleep warm.

Only problem i have had sofar, is with manufacturers who give their own ratings, those are almost never tested and seem to have no basis in reality :p.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There is a theory that decent makes like Rab, MH, ME, etc tend to under state their warmth, which makes sense - their bags have to perform, and if your cold, your never going to buy another one. The EN rating isn't perfect, but as you say, at least its a start. And certain brands have such a reputation that they really dont need the EN - PHD or Mountain Mounatineering, for instance

On cheap bags, its a different story. I remember some years ago looking at a Highlander bag on Endicotts website. Endie's rating (which was based on them actually trying it out) was at least 6 degree's difference to what the blurb said about it on Highlanders website and everywhere else that sold it. Anyone who bought that bag expecting the supposed rating was probably in for a cold night. The ones I hate who not too carefully mention the survival rating, perhaps assuming that some people which think it will be OK at that temp.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Eve the EN13537 doesnt take into account the temp range that people find comfortable, or the temp of an individual when they sleep (we all have different temps when we sleep, and we all react differently to the same temps) which is probably more important

We can get a rough idea, but should always be ready to change (eg adding other components) our sleeping system, rather than rely on just a bags rating

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Eve the EN13537 doesnt take into account the temp range that people find comfortable, or the temp of an individual when they sleep (we all have different temps when we sleep, and we all react differently to the same temps) which is probably more important

We can get a rough idea, but should always be ready to change (eg adding other components) our sleeping system, rather than rely on just a bags rating

Supposedly we all have the same body temperature: 98.6f or 37c as an average plus or minus less than 1 degree for a healthy person. However we all vary at least slightly and we definitely have different circulation (which regulates that temperature) But as you said, we can only begin with a standard system and adapt it to our own needs. The EN system sounds like a reasonable starting point.

JroW84

Oct 11, 2016
Kent
Ive read a few articles and blogs about EN rating and a good piece that scarfell linked me to and agree that it is a good starting point but as has been mentioned we are all different. I think my plan for the moment is going to be to head down to my local Cotswolds on Monday and have a play around in their bags and speak to the guys in the shop. I'm not a small lad, 6'5" and 17+ stone and have always run hot. I'm that muppet that still wears shorts in November. At least that way I can benefit from their experience, try out lengths for myself and if I end up with a bag that I half freeze in it can be used as a spring/summer bag.

If all that fails I'm going for Brambles suggestion and getting the Carinthia bags - the defence 4 looks brilliant AND it has a centeral zip - perfect for me as i move around a lot and like sleeping and sleep on my side.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I think a good tip is to remember to try the bags with your arms in different positions - width becomes very important and the taller you are, generally speaking , the broader the shoulder/chest. I have had longer bags in the past which failed miserably across the shoulder and chest, meaning that your arms had nowhere to go and you either forced them into a position across the chest all night, which is really uncomfortable, or stretched and compressed all the insulation in the torso. The Carinthia 200 length bags are 87cm wide and the most comfortable I've had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE