Dear Agony Aunt...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Nice thread - all jest starts in truth :) My girlfriend doesn't mind me buying knives and camping gear, she laughs at me like I am a hopeless child but we do not have a joint account. Maybe if we did it would be a different story! However, I do find that I buy all this stuff and do not really get much of a chance to use it properly. Ho hum

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
Get your parcels delivered elsewhere
Always deny that anything could be even remotely considered as new
"what do you mean Ive had that for years"
Get sellers to make up false receipts
Burn hide all packaging & receipts ASAP

Women have been doing this to blokes for years & it works

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nah, I just traded her in for a better one - delighted with the new model - looks great (without having to plaster her self in pseudo science nonsense), is happiest in jeans and boots working in the garden, earns more than I do and her attitude to money is "its yours, you earned it, spend it on whatever you want".

I'm a very happy man. Just wish I traded up sooner ;)

I have one of those too, great isn't it!?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
When "er indoors" gives me earache for this I take her out for a meal and buy her an animal skin coat..............................

To date she has had 15 fish suppers and worn out 4 donkey jackets and on to her 5th as we speak. :p :togo:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well...you don't get much realer than me :p and I still have to subtly introduce the idea that I might have a new knife/rucksac/random-bit-of-kit coming :sigh:
Usually it only raises the, "Where are you going to keep it?" comment, but sometimes there's this stunned, "I don't believe it!", look on their faces. When that's combined with the rolled eyes, and the male, "Aye", I know it's time to maybe clear out some stuff.....and make sure that the next 'chute goes to Trisha's house and not mine ;)

M

Great thread.

Does anyone else get like an excited kid when they have a new piece of kit and try showing it to your partner and all you get back is a quizical look or the "yes dear, well done" look?

My girlfriend doesn't mind the fact that I have my kit spread out across the house, sleeping bags, UB etc in one room, tarp in another, axe here, knife there.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great thread.

Does anyone else get like an excited kid when they have a new piece of kit and try showing it to your partner and all you get back is a quizical look or the "yes dear, well done" look?

So know that lok too. Like you're four years old and showing your mum your latest finger painting, though the look from the wife/partner is less sincere, more patronising.

Can't help but wonder if Einstien had the same problems.

"Hey Helga, I heff joost split ze atom."

"Very nice dear, hope you didn't make a mess"

Looks at mushroom cloud outside "Ummm no dear. Where's the dustpan and brush again?"

Lucky I have a basement, big enough to park 2 cars in as well as a workshop and winestore off of it too, so plenty of room for kit to be stashed away. So stashed that any new stuff that gets bought I then tell SWMBO "I've had that ages, I bought it at a boot fair for 20p. I'm sure I told you. Oh well."

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
As the weather is getting warmer I'd leave sleeping bag and take the duvet off the matrimonial bed, I'm sure your wife will understand that your needs are more important.
Also, do take the Bourbons from the cookie jar with you, the may come in handy.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Mr Barnowl I,ve got to sympathise with poor wee Mrs Barnowl. Nice wee woman deserves better, works hard all day. I,ve heard about men like you who retire early and just leave their gear all round the house and live the life of Riley.
Terrible, things have to change. As for your kit room with your beer fridge next to the computer and lazy boy chair, dear dear.
My wife however is very understanding particularily when she tells me I can go forth and breed in the woods and there is no need to hurry back. She never goes on about my spending, untidyness or anything.
I get browny points all the time by doing all the housework, ironing and making sure my gear is always put by.
Must be true bliss.

I think you should take a good sleeping bag 4-5, your not so young now

phil

ps maybe I should have started, with once upon a time

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Mr Barnowl I,ve got to sympathise with poor wee Mrs Barnowl. Nice wee woman deserves better, works hard all day. I,ve heard about men like you who retire early and just leave their gear all round the house and live the life of Riley.
Terrible, things have to change. As for your kit room with your beer fridge next to the computer and lazy boy chair, dear dear.
My wife however is very understanding particularily when she tells me I can go forth and breed in the woods and there is no need to hurry back. She never goes on about my spending, untidyness or anything.
I get browny points all the time by doing all the housework, ironing and making sure my gear is always put by.
Must be true bliss.

phil

Or finished with then i woke up and had my corn flakes !!!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Must be true bliss.

phil

Comin' oot tae play Dad?....:lmao:

Only iron you ken is the poker for the fire.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Aye young Tam I,m coming oot to play pal on friday (18th march, ahmm), after I do all my chores of course. I will have to go to my local craigie stores spar to buy some flowers and chocs for my wife first and talk to the nice staff about how nice it is to be romantic and understanding.
phil:p

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Aye young Tam I,m coming oot to play pal on friday (18th march, ahmm), after I do all my chores of course. I will have to go to my local craigie stores spar to buy some flowers and chocs for my wife first and talk to the nice staff about how nice it is to be romantic and understanding.
phil:p

Ya dirty wee........:35:

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
After receiving another sleeping bag, rucsac and knife in the post today my wife has seemed a pit peeved.

I noticed this as she screamed at me as she went back and forth to my kit room and threw almost everything out of the front door.

I was taken aback by this and her accusations of wasting money,never buying her flowers or taking her out to dinner.

Well I had to disagree and informed her that Dandelions are indeed wild flowers and if a pot noodle in the woods wasn't the best, then i don't know what is.

She has told me in no uncertain terms to go camp in the woods and die.

This has upset me extremely and I find myself unable to think coherently,what on earth do I do now?

I desperately need your advice about the aforementioned.

Do you think I should take a 4-5 season bag or will I be ok in a 3?

Ta much.

You say she threw "almost everything " from your kit room out the front door.....
Learn from this
See what items she left in there
These are the items she secretly covets
You can buy more of these... you could even buy some for her.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE