Dealing with cows!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
if they won't pack up give them a smack on the underneath of the gob they don't feel it on top of their head

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Have you seen Crocodile Dundee.... What you want to do is to make aboriginal drone like noises while doing a slow figure of eight motion with your hand. If that does not work then be prepared to run... Best tried out with a barbed wire fence between you and the animal, to start with...

Best advice, as said above is to walk down the side of the filed trying to keep away from them where you can; it saves treading in fresh cow pats for one thing. I have had some bullocks get a bit rowdy & start running towards me before; it's one of those hold your ground or run situations.

Young Bullocks can be every lively and boisterous, also very excitable.. I have never known them to actively attack anyone, however I have seen people bowled over by the them.

Generally as a result of the bullock running down a very steep slope and losing control... crashing into the victim, this is made worse when the other 20 in the field are charging around too.

This will frequently happen if the bullocks are new to the field, they need to be given a week or so to settle down, but they are air heads, make no mistake.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My dog Treacle has got to know the locals cows on Dundas estate.

No, not those kind, and not that kind of estate.

He often walks along the dry stone wall and they come over for a nuzzle, they are used to him mooching around them and have taken to licking him but he and I move sharpish as they are a bit big and overbearing at times - although friendly.

Recently however, he took off to see the herd (despite cries of heel etc.) and disappeared over a rise to where the cows were.

At the time, I didn't know they they had calves amongst them, had I he would have been on the leash. The next thing I know, his nibs is streaking back over the rise, ears flat, like a hairy missile, followed by a herd of thundering moo-cows.

Man's best friend? Aye, right! Not even a yelp of warning.

I haven't ran that fast for years and I swear he was laughing as I scrambled over the wall.

If you're walking with a dog near cows on a lead and they take exception to him, let him off the lead and worry about your own skin. The dog will look after himself as he can out run you all.

Sheep are nasty, not just big and clumsy like cows, but nasty.

Anyone remember the TV advert in the 70's - dogs worrying sheep will be shot by the farmer?

I'd like to see the dog that could worry sheep, the number of sheepdogs I've seen beaten up by a flock of sheep you wouldn't beleive.

Gumbob

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2005
Ayrshire
Just walk at them, they're only cows. They'll come right up close and stop just before they get within arms reach.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that one. About two years ago I was trampled while going through the field behind my house. 3 broken ribs and a fractured skull was the outcome. The thing is, I have or should say 'had' no fear of them as I had worked on and around farms for years. And it was cows not bulls or bullocks.

They seemed to attack for no reason whatsoever.

Be very wary and even more so if they have calves.

Ian

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have. Heart rending :(

Aye, me too, unfortunately.

My remark was a generalisation - and in hindsight - I should never have posted it.

I've seen that kind of damage a few times, but have seen the "wooly clouds" stomp and headbutt mutts so hard, the mutts have headed for the horizon.

It was crass of me to treat the subject so flippantly, being online is no excuse, sorry Red. :(

Liam

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No harm miyagi, I rather suspected you might have done too.

I'll never really get past the site of a field of ewes in lamb after some irresponsible ****s dog had been through it.

I'd have made the owners clean up by hand - including ending the suffering where necessary. Then pay. I have rarely been so angry.

Red

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
No harm miyagi, I rather suspected you might have done too.

I'll never really get past the site of a field of ewes in lamb after some irresponsible ****s dog had been through it.

I'd have made the owners clean up by hand - including ending the suffering where necessary. Then pay. I have rarely been so angry.

Red

Aye Red, exactly the same scenario.

A dog with the blood lust, any other day the dog would have been sent packing, lambs don't stand a chance and their mothers are as weak as kittens.

I'm still embarassed about my generalisation - I know better.

Yours,

Liam

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Stand your ground, wave your arms and they'll probably naff off. Or trample you. One or the other :)

Now that was funny!

The cattle you're describing sound like stirks (mixed) or stots (castrated bullocks) which are extremely curious without the spark of intellect you'd normally expect to come along with it.

When excited they'll charge around the field boundary and will appear to dummy charge at you. If you get trampled by them it's probably because you ran from them. If you survive you can console yourself with the thought that they didn't mean it!

If you stop and turn round they'll back off. When you turn your back they'll come closer. A dog will send them into a frenzy, so don't take a dog into a field with young cattle in. The farmer won't be too pleased with you for upsetting his cattle, but he well knows the danger of the consequences of someones ill advised reaction and fear.
A farmer friend told me to spit in the bravest ones face. It sometimes works!

It's already been said not to go into a field with cows and calves.

I once woke up in my sleeping bag to discover a Highland Bull licking my face. My reaction scared the scheisse out of him and his response was, well... entertaining. My mate was a great help and was last seen crawling into the undergrowth.

My most fearful experience with livestock was when descending from a Scottish hill and I encountered a black-faced tup (ram) who made it quite clear that the one stepping off the track wasn't going to be him. He stood on his tip-toes and eye-balled me with contempt as I kept a respectable distance, clearly just gagging for it!

To put this into perspective, a month earlier my father-in-law's elderly neighbour was found battered to death with his prize tup still charging and butting him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE