Dead Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Now that most trees are back in leaf have you noticed the number of dead trees that sucombed to last summer . Worth reporting them to the coucil pointing out they may prove dangerous but also need replacing .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Three dead hornbeams next to the fence :( One will need to come down; it's already loosing it's bark from the branches. The rowan tree isn't looking very happy either. The rest seem to be okay though the sycamores appear to be a bit slow in opening up.

Toddy

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
but dead trees have a value in themselves... they rot get attacked by insects, attract birds etc etc.

unless there is a non-movable target beneath them leave well alone

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Don Redondo said:
but dead trees have a value in themselves... they rot get attacked by insects, attract birds etc etc.

unless there is a non-movable target beneath them leave well alone
Yep, I agree.....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
bambodoggy said:
Things have only started happening (leaf wise) in the last week here....there's still plent of trees that like me don't do early starts and are still having a doze :p :D :D
You just got up Bam...?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Unless they are a real danger (Not very often then) then I don't see the point and leave well alone.
They provide a usefull habitat for insects which in turn provides food for birds and also somewhere for fungus to grow on.
They also provide cover for lots of wildlife.

Of course you could hack it to bits and burn it in a "bushcraft" fire but most of the time I reckon you need it a lot less than the insects and woodpeckers :)

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
yes i agree unless they are a real danger then leave them be, but if you report them and they are going to be felled i'd offer to help/watch you may gain some nice pieces of wood and get an education at the same time, i know i did when i was doing conservation work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE