Dead fox - skull retrieval!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In the hedgerow next to where I park my car at work there is a dead young fox. I will need to remove the fox due to the sensibilities of others but I thought it is a shame for it to go to waste.

Taking the pelt would be great (my Dad has one we tanned) but I don't have the time to deal with it. I may try save the tail but what I would like to save is the skull.

So, which method do you prefer for defleshing - cold water maceration or burying? Pros and cons of either? I won't be boiling it as it's not practical for me to do.

Any tips? :)

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Bury it works best, just keep checking on it and make sure animals won't dig it up! I had a rat take everything but the spine from a fully intact grouse skeleton I found once. Not cool!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Dermestid beetles are the best, but I've had good results by putting dead birds in wire mesh containers on the ground, it lets the carpet beetles in but keeps the rats out.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Little Bump for this.

Found a Deer skull ( well , head actually ) that I'd like to preserve as its Antlers are small and I'd like to move this way and maybe set building up a collection of Native species for educational purposes.

Currently the head is in a large Plastic sealed lid with aload of Soil thrown over it.

I ummed-&-ahhed about:-

Boiling it :- No outside room or facilities or reason to get anyone that excited in the neighbourhood.

Burying It in the woods for later retrieval:- I was worried it may go too far 'gone' and the actual skull deteriorate or Animals unearth it.

Leave it in stagnant/sealed water:- Same as above , didn't want it going to far.

So currently my plan is keep it in the big box with some soil and throw aload of maggots and worms on top.

Does that sound a decent way forward????

Anyone do anything ( bleach? ) to the actual skulls to help preserve or 'seal' the material afterwards?? this is all new ground for me.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Compost heap, especially at this time of year. Mine's full of brandling worms, they devour anything and leave clean bones and brilliant soil :D

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers Toddy but currently no home or compost heap to speak of.

Instead I've opted for a half soil filled B&Q Lidded bin and purchase a couple hundred worms from the local angling supplies. I've punched a few small holes in the lid to let insects get in and out and hopefully that should see it good.

I'll return in a month or two and see what the deal is.

Wahboasti

Feb 6, 2012
Caister-on-sea, Norfolk
I have a few small skulls I have prepared, I put them on the compost heap for a week or so, then transfer them to a sealed tub of water with soda crystals dissolved in it.
Change the water once a week and eventually you get a nice clean white skull. you have to go over it with a toothpick to get the last few little bits off, then just dry it thoroughly and mount it.
Boiling isn't really a great idea as it is very easy to damage the bone if its in too long, likewise bleach is a big no no for the same reason.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a few small skulls I have prepared, I put them on the compost heap for a week or so, then transfer them to a sealed tub of water with soda crystals dissolved in it.
Change the water once a week and eventually you get a nice clean white skull. you have to go over it with a toothpick to get the last few little bits off, then just dry it thoroughly and mount it.
Boiling isn't really a great idea as it is very easy to damage the bone if its in too long, likewise bleach is a big no no for the same reason.

Thanks for that - how long do you suggest to clean a skull from a worms point of view?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I ised to vlean animal skuls by first cutting off as much soft tisdue as posdible, then removing the hrain from the hole for the spinal cord. Then soak in water with plenty of biological wasking powder.
Burying in an ant hill for a few weeks is another efficient method.
Bones whiten nicely if soaked in hydrogen peroxide.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I have an old foreign finch (budgie type) cage, I put the skull in that and cover it with leaf mould......beauty of the cage is it helps stop unwanted visitors getting at the skull but allows everything else in, plus the plastic bowl/bottom means loose teeth etc. are easy to find if they happen to drop out.

D.B.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have an old foreign finch (budgie type) cage, I put the skull in that and cover it with leaf mould......beauty of the cage is it helps stop unwanted visitors getting at the skull but allows everything else in, plus the plastic bowl/bottom means loose teeth etc. are easy to find if they happen to drop out.

D.B.

Good idea - I like that , I'll have to look at the recycling centres.

Wahboasti

Feb 6, 2012
Caister-on-sea, Norfolk
Hard to say, i have only done a few and they have only been birds that I have found. A fortnight at this time of year seems to give them a good start, I really have no Idea how long something the size of a fox head would take. However, if you want the opinion of an expert, google Jakes bones. He's a young lad of about fifteen with an amazing website, its where i learned not to use bleach ;)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I might be misremembering somewhat but I'm sure an ex of mine once used Biological washing powder to clean flesh from bone...
Not sure if she only tried that but I do remember the skull...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I might be misremembering somewhat but I'm sure an ex of mine once used Biological washing powder to clean flesh from bone...
Not sure if she only tried that but I do remember the skull...

That will work on the flesh on a decomposing skull very well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE