De-Rusting with Molasses...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Has anyone tried soaking your rusty bits in coke? Not fast but it works. Tomato ketchup/brown sauce cleans up brass.

It does work, the coke used acid, think it citric acid but not cant remeber, and ketchup/Brown Scource uses Vinigar base so an acid again :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its always made me laugh when people use things like ketchup to de-rust. All the "condiment" based recipes clean up rust through acetic acid. So cheap vinegar would be faster and more effective. Coke contains phosphoric acid in very weak concentrations so uses the same acid based chemical reaction. Why people don't just make up an acid bath to the desired concentration escapes me - it would be cheaper and cleaner.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It does work, the coke used acid, think it citric acid but not cant remeber, and ketchup/Brown Scource uses Vinigar base so an acid again :)

I used to use a citric acid bath for stoves but you need to be very careful with it (and neat vinegar) or its easy to leach zinc from brass. Ketchup and the like is very good in my personal experience for little bits and bobs and more forgiving with the metal.

If your serious about cleaning off rust then Electrolysis is very effective. Lots of videos on youtube for those who've not come across the method

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not had the need (ie on something delicate) to use the past its sell by jug of blackstrap molasses that's in the shed fridge but I did use a copious amount of citric acid powder ( now I can get it cheap ) to derust a great big sledge hammer that the middle son dug up in the garden.

image_zps66225ab2.jpg

I'd knocked the big flakes off the outside and had a pick at the eye. Overnight (the water was boiling at first) it soaked for a good twelve hours and was actually shiny when first rinsed off. So be warned the citric acid method is quite aggressive! It now weighs 13 lb. I was thinking of sawing a fresh surface on it and using it as a anvil but by the way there's a big dimple in the face of the square section it's no doubt too soft to be worth it. No idea what sort of iron it's made from or how old.

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh the copious amounts of citric acid is why it was vigorous Tom (as you know) - you can make it a higher pH (less acid) for a gentler action. Its interesting to note that even normal household vinegar is heavily diluted when sold - its nearer 10% when made

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh aye, normally a teaspoon in a quart does the job on mild rust but by the big lumps of rust I knocked off that things been underground since Adam was a lad!

Our favourite chip shop ( gets us packs of haggis sausage from their wholesaler) lets us have the I undiluted stuff they get to water down them selves when we ask for it, now that stuff puts hair on your chest! And would probably remove it if you spilt it down your front!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a drum of 98% acetic acid around - it is really dodgy stuff (don't know if thats what your mate in the chippy gave you - probably nearer 10%). The stuff chip shops still use instead of real malt vinegar is known as NBC (non brewed condiment) - its basically 5% acetic acid and some caramel for colour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE