De-Rusting with Molasses...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
De- Rusting with Molasses... yes I know... but it works...!!!!

DSC_1024.jpg

I have been looking at the different ways of de rusting old tools, having used the off the shelf Rust converters, and also the normal house hold Acids – Lemon, Vinegar, Electrolysis has also come into the frame, I came across the method of using Molasses..... while speaking to a friend that restores Old tools, but he himself had not used it, so spent some time in research of the method, it turns out that is an “ olden day’s “ way...
This is not the quick fix method it takes a while... weeks even, it’s a very “soft option”, and has none of the harsh effects of Buffing, Blasting, Sanding, or Acids, as it only attacks the Rust and not the solid parent metal.

Fill the bucket up with the normal amount of water and add Molasses to the Ratio of 10:1, its not an exact science, I have just used Tate and Lyle Black Treacle this time, don’t worry about the quantities to much, if you can remove all the wood parts as all this does is masks the areas, but will come to no harm apart form be dyed nye on Black, from what I have found out about the process. Make sure that all parts are well de-greased as this will act as a mask as well.

DSC_1018.jpg

Drop the parts in and leave, you should see the fermentation process start, the first time I did it the fermentation did not start for nearly a week, this is normal, best not to taste it though, leave until, when this process finishes take it out and check, at this point it means that the sugars have just been used up by the fermentation , the liquid will still continue to work after this.

DSC_1022.jpg

After a week take out the item and wash the Black Gunk off (it’s just Sugar water), dry and wipe the surfaces off with oil to prevent the re-formation of rust. If it still needs some more time just plop it back in and wait....... then revisit and wash, I use a Green Scourer as this helps remove any gunk that is left....

This solution can be stored and saved, then to liven it up, when you reuse it, whisk it up to get some air into the solution, if that does not work add some more Molasses.

DSC_1023.jpg
As you can see the Rust is slowly disappearing....

The solution only attacks the Rust and does not affect the Steel/iron, so you can drop the parts in and forget for a few weeks.... it does not affect Paint unless the rust goes under the paint, then it will eat away the rust and the Paint will lift. The same is with any plating method as well..

On researching the Process that is used is called Chelating pronounced “Kelaiting”, it’s a food preservative action that bonds with the Metal Ions, (normally Copper or Iron) in certain foods to prevent oxidation, the name comes from the Greek word for crabs claw, due to the Chelating agent have two groups of atoms that encircle the Metal Ion like the claws of a crab, the agents are also known as sequestrates,

This process only works if there is a very small amount of acid about to kick the process, of once it is going then it will carry on working until all the rust is removed, one thing that can be done is add a a couple of teaspoons of an acid such as vinegar to speed up the effect. Once the acid is used up it will no longer affect the bare Iron/Steel...

I used an old Eagle 310 Axe head, for an attempt that was quite rusty, this image does not do it justice, and left it for a week, too it out and found that the major rust had disappeared and the patina was left with a few bits of rust in the makers mark.

I have now put it back in and will leave it for another week....... and update the thread... :)

Last edited:

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
Mmmmmm interesting, so, if you mask some of the rust as a pattern you could do some intresting 'etching' on the blade, may have to have a go at this.

Rev G

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Mmmmmm interesting, so, if you mask some of the rust as a pattern you could do some intresting 'etching' on the blade, may have to have a go at this.

Rev G

The process will not eat way the solid parent metal only the rust... so if you masked off the rust that you wanted left then yes... in a way, but it will eat under a layer of paint if the rust is there, I dont know how far under the paint it will go..... so in a way no... lol give it a go

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good write up mate but I can't help but think that's not what I'd consider a rusty tool....

Few minutes on a wire wheel would clean that up no?
Or does it get right in to the pits etc?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Good write up mate but I can't help but think that's not what I'd consider a rusty tool....

Few minutes on a wire wheel would clean that up no?
Or does it get right in to the pits etc?

Na I would not really call that one really rusty, its the worst one I have left not refurbed, lol, but hey whats the interest in a wire wheel, all about learning and passing on new stuff/ideas for me......

it does get right in to the pits, and the good thing is it does not harm the good metal underneath the rust, where as a wire wheel does...... you can also control how much of the patina you remove..... its how destructive do you want to be.. I like to leave abit of the chariter that the tool have gained in its life then ripping it to bits, into a life less shiny tool...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just a Quick update of the Axe head in the Molasses, just removed it put it under the tap, and a quick rub with one of those sponge scoruers, and this is what I have after..

I would say a very easy method of removing rust and making the head look good, without the savage use of acid or metal removing methods, its even started to clean up the Makers mark... :). That took just 9 days of easy work.. well none apart from mixing water up with the Molasses, and washing it off all taking about 15 mins max in all :),

I know what way I'll be using from now on :).

DSC_1030.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think this was one of my best discoveries of 2013.............There's just no excuse not to do it, it's so easy and clean, and best of all non - toxic and non - damaging to the article you're working on. I've used this on a few things that are now refurbished which would still be languishing on the "future project pile".

Thanks, Big Stu!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have a heap of axe heads, various grass/brush hooks a cleaver all needing de rusting. I may well give this a go.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thats fantastic, I'd vague;y heard about it..brilliant write up there, looks really effective and nicer for the metal..cheers :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Found a cleaver last year thats more rust than metal, I have to take pics of it and start this off tomorrow, then turn a handle for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE