DD vs. Hennessy Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Hi,

I have never used a hammock and have been thinking of getting one for some time, probably since I signed up with this forum! I have seen there are loads of brands, but two that come up all the time seem to be DD and Hennessy Hammocks so I thought I'd ask some questions about them and ask for peoples views on both.

I can see that the Hennessy has a slight advantage as it comes with a tarp (hence the higher asking price, I assume) and has the novel entrance slit with integral mosi net. But then in a lot of videos people say it's quite a heavy hammock...The DD seems to be a simple hammock that can be used as a bivy as well (with the Travel hammock).

Is there anyone that has tried the two different brands that can shed some light on the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry not to answer your question directly, but I'd never used a hammock either so didn't want to fork out for an expensive one in case I didn't like it. I bought a Tenth Wonder hammock off eBay for £17 (new!). It's basic but lets me practice rigging a hammock setup. As it turns out, I quite enjoyed sleeping in it so might upgrade to a better one with a built in net etc.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I have a DD Frontline hammock and I really like it but the only thing I will say about it compared to the Hennessy is that the midge net is a proper pain, you have to find sticks or carr tent poles when putting it up and I just find that as a hassle whereas I believe the Hennessy one just works in a ridgeline kind of setup so for speed and ease of setup the Hennessy wins. The only thing I thought was weird was the bottom entry of the Hennessy but this could actually be good when you got used to it. Hope this helps a bit but for budget go DD, for speed, ease etc go fot the Hennessy.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a DD camping hammock with separate mozzi net. Love it to bits but could be a little bigger.
Thinking about a Warbonnet Blackbird or trying to make my own.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Just spent a week in my Hennessey in Sweden. The sleeping position isn't the same as a DD - the asym shape means you sleep across the line of hang. Be aware you can get the Hennessey with a conventional side zip, which I much prefer.

For my money it's the Hennessey every time, but you may feel differently if you have the chance to try both. I love the speed to hang (the clip-in tarp means I was rigged in a few minutes every time whilst others were still faffing with their setup after 30 mins or more), and the flexibility (you can still use a big tarp). I've added a loop to help pull myself towards the head end if I slip down, and a foot bag for storage.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've used a HH Expedition Asym for about 5 years now and loved it to bits...

But I've just spent 10 nights in a UkHammocks custom jobbie and will never use the HH again! (At least my kids will get an upgrade as they currently use DD's).

My advice would be to give Matt (a member here) a shout and see what he comes up with...

HTH,

Simon

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have a Hennessy Expedition with side zip entry.
The good thing about the Hennessy hammocks is the integrated nature of the whole system. The hammock and bug net hang as one, with the bug net strung across the hammock ridge line. You can hang your tarp (if you are using the smaller, asym tarp) on the same suspension as the hammock, which makes things easier. The whole system can be stored in a "snakeskin" for very fast erection and removal. If you take the optional, larger, hexagonal tarp, you more or less have to tie it to the trees separate from the hammock.
The Hennessy is significantly longer than the DD and that allows a really comfortable,flat, diagonal lie.
AS stated elsewhere, UK Hammocks can make you a hammock which is very like the Hennessy in layout, and I've seen a review on this forum for one which is very like the Warbonnet, which is also a very good design. Good to support a local industry?

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Thanks for all of the replies people, I'll check out the other brands that were mentioned here and try to a camping shop near me to see if they have any to look at. I'm not holding my breath on that because I live in Dorset! So is the new Asym Hennessy's an advantage over the old non-Asym ones?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
So is the new Asym Hennessy's an advantage over the old non-Asym ones?

Both are Asym, ie in plan view they look like squashed diamonds so that when you lie in it one sides pullout is around shoulder and the other side around knee rather than opposite each other.

They come in several sizes and load bearing abilities (and therefore weight). Amongst the commonest they go Scout (simplest not all features and shortest), Expedition and then Explorer with a massive Safari. There are other options including a GSA version that satisfies US military purchasing regs.

Recently a variant was introduced of the side zip opening as an alternative to the bottom velcro opening.

I would recommend that you trawl back through the forum a bit as there is lots of threads on not only the merits of different manufacturers and models but also the best way to buy them as several are US or Canadian made. Hammock Forums is also a good place to browse and find links of hammock camping, but they do get a bit carried away over there at times :)

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
where in dorset are you? I'm in Bournemouth and your welcome to come look at mine (henessey explorer deluxe with side zip) pm me if you do, doubt you will find anywhere that stock them so you can go see one. we could even pop to the woods so you can have a hang.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've used a HH Expedition Asym for about 5 years now and loved it to bits...
Simon

I always thought you were using the bigger Explorer mate, I tried the Exped for a few months but found it really cramped, I went back to the group buy one after that.

forestwalker

I've spent just about every night since early June in a HH exped asym zip. It is a reallty good place to sleep, and in deep spruce forests there has been no problems with rain getting in under the tarp (but I still intend to get a one size bigger roof for it, with a bit of wind it would take in some rain).

Quick and easy to use, no little buzzing annoyances. The zip option allows me to "make my bed" standing next to the hammock -- rolling out the foam pad and the sleeping bag with the zip opened -- and then get in. So far only 5 or 6 mosquitos (total!) have gotten in with me all summer, so I can't see how the bottom entry would be much better in mosquito country.

I added a cord loop to the inside zip pull, so now I can open and close the zip using my toes. And bungie loops for the tarp cords.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
So far only 5 or 6 mosquitos (total!) have gotten in with me all summer, so I can't see how the bottom entry would be much better in mosquito country.

I'll second that - a week in Jamtland in my HH zip and the only bite I received was on my elbow when I rolled over and slept with it pressed against the mozzy net.

BUT, having fitted mine with a set of Mat's quilts from UKhammocks, I loved them so much that I'd be very interested indeed to see his custom hammock. If it's as well put together as the quilts then it has to be good.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
All of this information is useful! I'm thinking I'm going to try to see a Hennessy Explorer (maybe Deluxe) and have a look. I didn't realise you could sleep on your side in them and I also didn't realise people were using them for months at a time! I think the side zip option is going to be best for me by the sounds of it. PeterH, thanks for pointing me to the hammocks forum, I'll have a look at that now!

Cheers everyone!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE