DD Travel or Frontline Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Can anyone recommend either the travel or the frontline hammock from DD. I'm going to order one through he group buy but can't decide which one.

Is the Travel hammock a bit hot and sweaty in use because it has a waterproof base, or doesnt this make any difference? Am I better of going for the frontline and investing in a goretex bivi from Endicotts?

There are more frontline orders than travel orders on the GB so far, but I dont know if that is any indication of which one is best.

Thanks in advance.

RR

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I'm keeping an eye on this thread as im in the same boat as you RR. I've used the camping hammock for a few years and am looking to upgrade, but can't decide which to go for!

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I would and possible will go for the travel hammock as it does double as a Bivi so if wildcamping was your thing atleast it gives you more posibilites when it comes to finding a site

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I'v got the Travel and have never experienced being hot and sweaty. There are more sleeping options as well, as you can ground dwell in it.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I didn't like the waterproof one as it condensed my breath into a pool of water.

Same on a very rainy night when the rain leeched down the straps and into the hammock.
I didn't have drip strips though just the strapsas they come.

I use a nomads xl now and prefer it,don't slide just as much in it either.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
No experience of them myself or hammocking at all but I have been looking into it. With the non waterproof one you would just need a plastic sheet as a footprint if needed and then you would have the breathability when wanted as well.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I'm still not sure what I want, having read seemingly dozens of threads on the differences!

Think I will chance going with the more versatile Travel.

James

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
I think the travel would be better for this country just because of the waterproof base thats the only real difference between them.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
By the looks, its just weather you require insualtion, or waterproofing. I never have, or plan to use my hammock on the ground so its personal choice really.

Mine's (tenth wonder) waterproof dual layer apparently, not had any problems here with clammy night's.

hth, al.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I sleep hot. The travel in winter is a problem as I cause condensation. If I were buying again it would be frontline.

I bought the travel and then subsequently read about the condensation problems - I cut a small facecloth section of travel towel and put that at the head end to pre-empt any issue. Suffice to say I didn't encounter condensation problems - dunno if this was due to the towel or not. It was a cold night in February, I had an under blanket on which may also help prevent condensation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE