dd tarp, long term use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutupthepunx

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2013
outer cosmos
hey,

Ive had my 3x3 dd tarp for a few years, getting usually a few days use a month. i was wondering what is people experience of having it out and up for a few months? in the summer sun in the forest. will extended sunlight exposure mess with the waterproofing or is it fine? thinking of hangin it in the forest to extend my living area.

ta

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive got 6 army bashas set up on the kids den in the garden been there since last year they are starting to perish some have torn in places and have lost their lustre.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
ive got 6 army bashas set up on the kids den in the garden been there since last year they are starting to perish some have torn in places and have lost their lustre.

I am pretty sure if you left anything up long enough it would start to delaminate, which is generally what has happened to old tents I have had. I have left a US Army pup tent up for months on my allotment, the canvasl holds up well enough but it is not the same shade of green as it used to be, sunlight has seen to that.

NGM6456

Mar 24, 2014
United Kingdom
Perhaps if you are going to reproof it after having it up for a longish spell it should be okay, but if you don't it will deteriorate due to sunlight and the weather in general. Unless you are willing to buy another one, or are willing to carry out maintenance work on the tarp, then maybe you should just use it as you have been doing for short spells.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE