DD tarp and hammock problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That does seem incredibly heavy for a tarp and hammock!
Not to show off, but my homemade hammock which has a pocket stuffed with 6oz of down only weighs 500 grams and my silnylon tarp 400 grams...
What is the tarp and hammock made of to bump the weight that high? canvas?

Silnylon is definitely an easy way to drop 1.5kg off your packweight. Campmor makes 8'x10' tarps out of a slightly heavier grade of sil than other companies. They still only weigh about 400 grams.
Or even the Hennessy Hammock hex fly with PU nylon only weighs 700 or so.

Is the hammock double layer? And is a waterproof hammock necessary if you have a big tarp?

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I would like to say thanks to everyone who took there time to reply to this thread.

I will not personally ever buy another dd product ever again as i like sellers that are honest about there products and there specifications.

Today i have ordered a fox ripstop nylon tarp thats says it comes in at 700 grams so ill be putting it through its paces very soon.

Yes i know the new dd tarp weighs less by there description than the tarp ive bought but i cant trust what they say any longer

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
That's a bit harsh fella going by what's on the bag and what they weighed out at;

Old 3x3 tarp with stuff sack - weighed in at 1046g, (46g over the 1000g on bag, looks like wrong bag though??)
New 3x3 tarp with stuff sack - weighed in at 466g (650g on bag)

Old hammock 2006? (coarser netting) short tapes still attached and stuff sack - weighed in at 862g (900g on bag)
New hammock 2008? (denser netting) (nonwaterproof floor) short tapes still attached and stuff sack - weighed in at 952g (1100g on bag)

:dunno:

Entirely your call though, let us know how you get on with the fox,

Cheers,

Alan

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i've been in touch with Nick. he should have able to have his say. ..
he's read the thread but is abroad at the moment so will reply on monday...Still Waters nick said you could get in touch with him !

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
It depends on how weight conscious you are with packweight. An extra 46g is enough to make an ultralighter break into a cold sweat, though I can't feel the difference when it's on my back. But the little bits add up.

Unfortunately almost all manufacturers tell tales when it comes to product weight. I can understand a slight discrepancy depending on the individual bit of gear, but not when some of the weights are 250g above the stated weight.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Hi guys

my weights came in as follows

My dd travel hamock states it weighs 900g when it really weighs 1.4kg

My dd tarp two states it weighs 1.6kg when it really weighs 2.3 kg

An extra 500 grams on the hammock and an extra 700 grams on the tarp thats an extra 1.2 kg of weight

an extra 1.2kg over stated weight seems excessive to me

I will say the quality of the hammock and tarp has been fine and never let me down its just the extra weight above what i thought they were thats annoyed me.

Sep 18, 2008
Scotland
Hi all,

Nick from DD Hammocks here. I’d like to say a little regarding the weight issue mentioned above.

The tarp that Still Waters has is one of our old tarps (DD Tarp 2), which we stopped selling around 10 months ago. These were alot heavier than our current tarp which weighs 650g as advertised (not including pegs). Our previous 3m x 3m DD Tarp 2 did weigh significantly more at approx 1,600g, although we did discover some discrepancies between batches – some were lighter, some heavier. On one particular batch at the time, we were aware that the weight was more than the advertised 1,600g; we updated the weight on our website to read 1,900g. If bought direct from our website, Still Waters would have received a ‘tips’ sheet in his package which included the following statement: “Please note that the information on the stuff sack may be slightly incorrect”. The advertised weight did not include the weight of the cord supplied which was as much as 15m at one point.

Regarding the weight of the hammock, again the advertised weight did not include the weight of the webbing although I’m aware that the webbing alone does not weigh 500g. I’m surprised to hear of such a discrepancy.

I’m also slightly surprised to see this issue being brought up a year after the products were bought as I would have imagined that anyone unhappy in such respect would have contacted us before now. However if Still Waters would like to discuss this further with us, we are more than happy to talk to him - please email us at sales@ddhammocks.com

In the next few days I’ll make sure that all weights on our website state whether they include webbing/ pegs etc. I’ll also make sure this is carried on in the future with our new products. I’ve now listed the DD Travel Hammock weight without the webbing and the webbing weight separately below – the reason for this is those who want to save weight don’t need to take all 10m of webbing with them, the hammock can still be used in a good number of places with 5 or 6m of webbing.

As I have mentioned there were slight variations previously with the weight between different tarps. We have ensured that all of our products are now of a consistent weight.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i've been watching this thread closely, i own quite a bit of lightweight outdoor gear that weighs considerably more than advertised. most manufacturers seem to give the lowest weight they can, esp with tents and sleeping bags by omitting to give the gross weight of the item as it would be carried by the customer. I suppose if your competitors are doing it you have to as well.

good thread.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Hi Nick of DD hammocks

I did wonder who you where when people were telling me to contact nick lol

Its of great pleasure to me that you are going to be a retailer that breaks down the exact weight of the kit on offer for all to see

Ive never had any problems with the qualitys of your eqp its just i was very shocked at the weight differance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE