DD solo tarp question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Does anyone out there have one of these? I'm thinking of getting one to replace my army issue basha but can't find many details about them online.

I know they are roughly the same dimensions (2.8 x 1.8) but I can find anything with my Google fu skills to find out what size it packs down to, the basha takes up a reasonable bit of space and from the 3x3m DD tarps I've seen I'm guessing it will pack down reasonably small but can't confirm. Would anyone who has one be kind enough to let me know the packed size?

Also any other suggestions for a smallish tarp that packs down to a small size I the sub £50 range?

Atb, Hamster

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I have the 3 x 3 DD Tarp. Packed size ( unopened ) measures 11'' x 8'' . If you place the pegs at bottom ( width wise ) you can fold and probs and secure it and thus half the 11'' length.

Could also ( I imagine but not tried ) roll it up as well.

HTH

Pete

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
"Rubbish" is harsh. The DD tarps are a quality product. They're in regular (PU coated?) nylon rather than the fancier silnylon. Sil is good and lightweight , and compact too, but has it's disadvantages. It's noisier and harder to repair.I have the 3x3 and 4x4 tarps, and they're both excellent in my opinion. No, not the lightest option out there, but that's not always the most important factor. I haven't tried the S (2.8x1.5 according to DD). I think it's too small to use with a hammock for example, if that's what you have in mind. Should be fine as a lean-to. It's definitely smaller than most out there - 3x2 or something close is more usual, I think this size would be limiting.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
"Rubbish" is harsh. The DD tarps are a quality product. They're in regular (PU coated?) nylon rather than the fancier silnylon. Sil is good and lightweight , and compact too, but has it's disadvantages. It's noisier and harder to repair.I have the 3x3 and 4x4 tarps, and they're both excellent in my opinion. No, not the lightest option out there, but that's not always the most important factor. I haven't tried the S (2.8x1.5 according to DD). I think it's too small to use with a hammock for example, if that's what you have in mind. Should be fine as a lean-to. It's definitely smaller than most out there - 3x2 or something close is more usual, I think this size would be limiting.

I don't think its harsh.....infact I know its not harsh.
I've had 3 DD tarps (still use two), have 2 different DD hammocks, and snakeskins plus the lousy t shirt.
If the quality was as good as the customer service ......they wouldn't need the quality of customer service that they have :)thumbup:to their customer service)
They rely on the fact that most hammockers an bivvi folk are lucky if they actually use their gear more than once a month...an most that do use it are fair weather swingers or tramps (ground huggers) .

I've spent enough money and time on their hammocks or under their tarps, aswell as my missus and youngest child to say so. IMO (not humble) for similar money, there are better alternatives.

Ger-r-dun

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
PS.....sil nylon is less likely to need a repair. I've repaired DD, not had to repair my warbonnet. And silnylon certainly ain't noisier than pu cheap nylon.
For a start.....sil loves to be taut .....an you can get it tauter than pu. It doesn't crack or crinkle like pu does. I've yet to see a sil de laminate. The stitching and cheap bottom sealing tape (seen better on regatta bargain pac a pant) on DD is far from the quality that you find from a company that does silnylon.
Aye
Rubbish

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC0RBJdxKY
I speak in polish but you can see the size.
Good stuff but only for one person and a bit of kit. Also you can only use it as a lean to or over a ridge line (rectangular and too small for a tipi etc). After adding guy lines and pegs and bits it's only marginally lighter than 3x3.
For very compact shelter it's a good bit of kit, but if you can spare an exta 200g in your pack go with 3x3 for versatility.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks for the replies so far guys, just to give a bit more info on my intended use I am basically after a lightweight tarp that will pack up small to go along with my bivi. I am wanting it to cover me during inclement weather and give me a small admin/kit area out of the rain but as i have the bivi it doesnt need to be all encompassing like it would if i was hammocking.
I want to cut down on my pack size/weight so the silnylon route may be the way forward but would be happy enough with a DD Solo if i could find out the size it will pack down to.

Cheers, Hamster

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Watch my video, size is perfect for a solo night. When rolled it's about a size of a 1L bottle but take cords/water in to account.

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
Thanks for the replies so far guys, just to give a bit more info on my intended use I am basically after a lightweight tarp that will pack up small to go along with my bivi. I am wanting it to cover me during inclement weather and give me a small admin/kit area out of the rain but as i have the bivi it doesnt need to be all encompassing like it would if i was hammocking.
I want to cut down on my pack size/weight so the silnylon route may be the way forward but would be happy enough with a DD Solo if i could find out the size it will pack down to.

Cheers, Hamster

I've been looking for a tarp for exactly this purpose myself and I've settled on this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BE-X-SilNyl...id=1381908312&sr=8-1&keywords=be-x+wilderness

For me it has a good ratio between size, weight and waterproofness. Haven't gotten it yet, other priorities at the moment, but soon...

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hi HH

Have you looked at these from BPL? Not quite sub-£50, but not far off!

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE101.html

Looks to be similar dimensions to the DD.

I don't have experience of this particular model, but I do have a lot of experience with the next size up:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE103.html

which I rate very highly indeed. It packs very small - it can fit into the pocket of my SASS windproof smock, if that's any guide; bag of sugar size or thereabouts, and about half the weight.

Hope that helps

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I've had a gander at Dave's tarp. It packs to around half that of an Army job and is light as well despite being much bigger.
My Army basha is like having someone's leg in yer Bergen.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi HH

Have you looked at these from BPL? Not quite sub-£50, but not far off!

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE101.html

Looks to be similar dimensions to the DD.

I don't have experience of this particular model, but I do have a lot of experience with the next size up:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps-and-bivy-bags/WE103.html

which I rate very highly indeed. It packs very small - it can fit into the pocket of my SASS windproof smock, if that's any guide; bag of sugar size or thereabouts, and about half the weight.

Hope that helps

Dammit!!!! Now ive seen one i want one!!!!! :)

I have dropped DD an email to confirm exact packed size and will do the same with BPL for their solo tarp. I will be honest the weight doesnt bother me as much as the pack size but is there is a huge difference and not much in it with the size i may go with BPL.

Thanks for all the replies, im gutted i passed on a micro tarp i got from evilbay as the the seller doesnt seem to be around anymore as it would have been ideal.

Cheers, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Mate I have a feeling the solo BPL might be a bit tight for your set up. It's only 1.5m wide.

I think the DD is the same but to be honest when im under it im generally sitting on the bivi as a seat so should be well under it, i tend to have it pitched very low when im sleeping so should cover my kit but if not i have a bergan cover so not the end of the world.

Its really something to keep the rain off and give me a bit of an admin area if its pishing down, the extra 25cm tha the army basha provides is useful but like you said want to move away from an extra lags work of space taking up my pack.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well thanks to Dave the raves post I've ummed and erred and eventually caved in and went for the BPL solo.
I got responses from both BPL and DD (both were very helpful) and for those who are interested the sizes were as follows -

DD solo tarp - 28cm x 20cm x 4cm (though this was factory packed and I expect could be squished a bit smaller)
BPL solo tarp - 15cm x 13cm x 2cm

There was about a £25 difference in cost (BPL was the more expensive) and weight and packed dimensions of the BPL were what pipped it for me I'm the end.

Will do a bit of a review when it arrives and I get a chance to play with it!

All the best, Hamster

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
imho if your a small guy a small tarp is great but for the average sized guy 3mtrs x whatever will keep you dry and as for dd tarps I've used them for years and there a great bit of kit regards dave

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
imho if your a small guy a small tarp is great but for the average sized guy 3mtrs x whatever will keep you dry and as for dd tarps I've used them for years and there a great bit of kit regards dave

Dave, I totally agree and if I was using just an open bivi bag I probably would have gone with a bigger size but my bivi is the snugpak stratosphere so I'm fully enclosed when inside.
The main reason I want a tarp is to give a bit of admin space and storage in bad weather as the stratosphere (as comfy as it is) has buggered all space to do anything in once zipped up.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the the pack size was the defining factor (though you pay for that smaller packet) as it's only to provide additional shelter and not my primary way of staying dry.

That said I have a dd hammock and 3x3 tarp for when I'm hanging and the kit is great and wouldn't knock them.

Hamster

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You should be well chuffed with the BPL solo. The BPL tarps are serious quality and the attachment points are very well spaced. I have the duo tarp and that is my first choice for ground dwelling on my own. Of all my tarps its about the best made second only to my Warbonnet. The DD tarps are ok and functional but a bit lacking in guypoints in my opinion especially on the larger ones like the 4x4 and 4.5x3.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE