DD hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I'd go for the DD frontline Hammock. I love mine 2 zips, great mozzy net, really comffy and pockets for you odds and ends that you might need in the night ....love it , But i would say that as i do the GB's for them :) ;)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd go for the DD frontline Hammock. I love mine 2 zips, great mozzy net, really comffy and pockets for you odds and ends that you might need in the night ....love it , But i would say that as i do the GB's for them :) ;)

Missed out on the GB, kind of need it before mid-June to make any sense, and the discussions of tarp failures worry me. Still tempted.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The cheapest is the scout model.

I've got one for my daysac,it has the opening where you can put a mat or yourself come to that.
I think the rest are over engineered,i've had a travel and frontline previously.

I usually use a nomads but i like the scout, so intend using it along with a seperate midge net.

The net on my other DD ripped very easily and the waterproof one held my breath condensation as a puddle.

The scout is great in the daysac as you can put it up for a seat or lie down in seconds if on a wander in the woods.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive got a Travel one from DD, fairly comfortable, but imo it could do with being a bit wider, about 2 or 3 ft wider in all honesty as i like to lay at an angle in my hammock and the DD's are not quite wide enough to make it really comfortable for laying at an angle, i found the DD when tied up tight as they recommend to be way to tippy for my liking, so i set it up a bit slack, ive not used mine with the net yet in anger though, not had any need so far, all i did was turn it over so the net was underneath, although now it's warming up the net will no doubt come into play fairly soon

It's a handy bit of kit as with the travel and a tarp you can tree or ground dwell, so combined with my Alpkit wee airic getting home for the night is always possible.

The two boys have camping hammocks and love em as well, good bits of kit all round

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I got my DD Travel hammock and Tarp this week and must say I'm impressed by the kit. I see some of the guys have had problems with the tarp ripping, but I see from the thread this is being addressed so I'm confident if I do have a problem they will sort it. So far so good.
I did though ditch the supplied webbing for a 3m length of 4mm climbing chord at each end. I use a 10mm piece of climbing webbing with a carabiner as a tree strap and two marlin spike hitches to hang the hammock. Brilliant set up I got off the Hammock forum here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4829
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4 (the method I use is shown arpound 7min 55' in this video)
Only slept one night so far but the summer is not here yet and I'm looking forward to it.
cheers
Gareth

Last edited:

l3wis2000

Jun 2, 2011
Inverclyde
Just joined this forum as i was looking for a heads up on dd hammocks. Great information guys the condensation thing has made up my mind between the two, i liked the idea of the bivi feature in the travel hammock but i am essentially buying this as a hammock so the breathable frontline it is for me.

Great forum, been camping for years with the kids, now they are a bit older looking for more of the bushman side of things and this is the place to be.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I love my frontline, and have used it for two outings now. I'm itching to get out with it again but finding the time is the problem at the moment!

Mrdrewski

Jun 10, 2011
Bristol uk
Hello all,

I've just come in from my first night from using the DD travel Hammock and Tarp as my bed in the local woods for the rest of the summer. I slept in a sleeping bag with the mosinet side up with it closed. when I was packing up this monring I too had condensation under and along in patches of the sleeping bag.. From what I've read online you are supposed to slip in a insulator in the pocket provided on the base of the hammock. Which I had not done.. I'm going to use a foam gym mat that i'll borrow from work.. I'll tell you how it goes.. tomorrow.. Oh the The DD pack also comes with a 100% slik liner which you can put inside your sleeping bag, not sure yet if that will help against the condensation build up. I will try that on my third night.
ps had a Deer grazing next to me in the middle of the night,, A little errie, especially as your cocooned in a hammock with the mosinet closed with no were to run.. :s but good times :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I too suffer from condensation/sweat issues in my Travel. I was an early adopter and the frontline wasn't about then. If I had the choice again it would be front line.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I considered the two versions and opted for the Travel Hammock, simply in case I ever want to use as a ground bivvy. I've always been very dubious about the so called breathability of camping gear, tents, coats etc... I've never found they work...
Also surely if you use a thermarest in the space, and sleep in a nylon sleeping bag you lose all the breathbility. I've slept in mine now for 8 or 9 nights, both warml and cooler, and have not had any condensation except near my mouth on the hammock...(which is to be expected.)
cheers
Gareth

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I too had condensation under and along in patches of the sleeping bag...

This might be solvable without allowing the mosquitoes in for a meal. Condensation forms on my sleeping bag unless I also have the bag in my MVP bivi bag. The condensation doesn't seem to form on the outside of the bivi bag in the same way. It's a bit of a puzzle to me at the moment and when I've some time to devote I'll investigate, but for now I put it down to the material (possibly the surface area) of the outer part of the bivi bag.

... had a Deer grazing next to me in the middle of the night,, A little errie, especially as your cocooned in a hammock with the mosinet closed with no were to run.. :s but good times :)

You're much more of a threat to the deer than it is to you. :)

May 2, 2011
UK
I recently purchased a Travel hammock from DD hammocks and the customer service I received from Penny was second to none, I used it a our recent cub camp the first night without a bivi bag and found a small amount of condensation formed. On the second night I used a bivi and no condensation, it rained both nights and the temperatures were about the same any idea why the bivi makes a difference?

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I have the travel hammock and I'm prety satisfied with it. Seems well made, and robust. There's a good review on this youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/user/RVOps
A lot has been made about condensation, but so far even in very hot weather here in France I've not had any in the travel hammock. I may be wrong but I have never found breathable fabrics to be very breathable... I've had quite expensive goretex jackets that have failed to breathe when it is really wet and humid. I've had breathable tents that once they are saturated with rain or covered in frost no longer breathe, so you get condensation.
I would imagine also that with a thermarest of foam mat in the Travel hammock it's breathbility will be severely reduced.
I'd say though all in all a good quality entry level hammock at a very good price.

cheers
Gareth

May 2, 2011
UK
I recently purchased a Travel hammock from DD hammocks and the customer service I received from Penny was second to none, I used it a our recent cub camp the first night without a bivi bag and found a small amount of condensation formed. On the second night I used a bivi and no condensation, it rained both nights and the temperatures were about the same any idea why the bivi makes a difference?[/QUOTE

I thought I better point out that this was not a criticism only a question as the hammock is excellent and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. The straps supplied are easy to tie for the inexperienced and I had no issues in getting comfortable. In fact I cannot wait to get another chance to use it, much better than a tent.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I just received my DD travel hammock and am awaiting the delivery of my DD tarp. Can't wait to try it out!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Apparently 'Go Camping' I have been unreliably informed (by scouts) are now stocking DD hammocks. Not sure what the range is, but camping hammocks are apparently £12.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE