DD hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

selfbow

Jan 24, 2011
shropshire
Well in need somthing better and smaller then my tent and have been told you can use the frontline one as a bivi as well as just a hammock ? which sounds good and £50 is my buget

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Not yet met anyone who dislikes the DD hammock.

However when all is packed, it does take up more room in your rucksack than a 3 man tent. (unless you live in a hot climate).

I have the travel hammock which doubles up as a bivi, but I haven't used it as a bivi yet. I quite enjoy it and would recommend it. :)

Not yet met anyone who dislikes the DD hammock.

My friend doesn't like it, he has the problem with waking up with a damp hammock due to sweat and condensation. Which is more an issue with the travel hammock as it isn't as breathable as the frontline one. However I have not had this issue as of yet.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
the problem with waking up with a damp hammock due to sweat and condensation. Which is more an issue with the travel hammock as it isn't as breathable as the frontline one.

I had the same problem. It wasn't until i undid the mozi net alittle to allow some air to flow that i got over this problem, but then you don't have a complete seal from the blood suckers!
I still love this hammock, perfect for my height and weight - 6 foot 13-14 stone depending on the season ;) If you need to go a little lighter, you can play around with the rope setup to drop some weight

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
We use the camping hammock which you can sleep inside and the scout ones. Both are used by the scouts to great affect.

All three leaders who are used to using them now use Hennesseys, but they're not as good for a bivy. They're neater solutions and are more comfy.

Then again the scouts have no complaints and we don't let tem in the Hennesseys!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been looking into a hammock for the summer. My needs will be daily nights out (5-6 nights a week) in Jämtland, so a good mozzie net is a clear benefit. The two candidates I'm looking at is the DD Fronline (+ tarp combo, I need a new one anyway) and the Hennessay exped asym (zip?). As I read the specs and comments my thoughts are:

* some of the comments say Hennesay is better built than the DD
* some comments indicate that the HH is more comfortable
* I like the idea of a double space in the DD for the foam pad
* two side zips on the DD == more flexibility or one more zip that can die?
* the DD tarp is a more general utility tarp (but is the HH better quality?)

The price for the HH or the DD combo is about the same, so that is not an issue. What are peoples comments?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have the HH exped asym zip with hex fly. I am making an asym silnylon fly for back acking as the hex PU is on the heavy side. Good for car camping though, as gives more coverage. I also have a 5'x10' (1.6x3 metres approx.) for USD 10 from Walmart. This is my bedside mat or ground cloth if forced to the ground. The HH is about a foot (30 cm) longer than the DD which probably makes it more comfortable. I cannot really comment as I haven't slept in a DD
There is a UK hammock maker makes one that looks on paper to be as good as a HH or Warbonnet, forgot the name but it was discussed on this forum last week. You might want to look at that as well.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
DD Hammocks all the way

I've had a trevel hammock which I had the condensation issue with, but DD swapped it for a frontline for me and now no probs.

Good customer service has got to count for a lot.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
I was out a couple of months back with my DD travels+Hoocie, stuck in the middle of some woods I found my roll mat to be missing (t'was on the kitchen table), with the sun going down I was grateful for that zipped compartment with which I could stuff some insulation as it was a cold night.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I have the DD camping hammock which I think is the most basic one. Packs down really small, is light, very comfortable and only £25. You could get a seperate bivi if you needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE