dd hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I had a look at this the other day could attack the hammock to the larger ring, and rope to the other via a carabiner

Looks interesting..

Just thinking about carabiners generally - do you lose some of the stability you get from having 2 points of contact with the tree, albeit very close together points?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Any recommendation for shape/type of carabiners? I assume I need to slot it through the end of the hammock where the tape currently loops through? What's the best way to attach the tape to the carabiner?

Tie it with a bowline knot get some caribiners from some where like Decathlon, they dont have to be 3 way locking , screw gates will do.

Simon.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Not sure about knots, I haven't set mine up yet to try it, but I reckon a 2 foot length would give you enough to form a small loop and a figure of eight knot should be robust enough, I find they don't tend to slip once bedded down.

The other side of the karabiner I'm guessing you don't tie a knot, simply thread it through so that it can move and slip freely, otherwise you'll be forever adjusting the tapes.

There's a link there to Pablo's video on setting up the DD, it shows the karabiner, perhaps PM him to politely ask which knots he uses?

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Do you mean which knot to tie to the carabiner or to the tree?

Simon.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Looks interesting..

Just thinking about carabiners generally - do you lose some of the stability you get from having 2 points of contact with the tree, albeit very close together points?

Not that I've ever noticed, and the peace of mind you get knowing that you're not going to wake up soaked is worth it. Plus, you can unclip your hammock and instantly increase the amount of dry working space you have under your tarp if need be.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
You asked about knots and stability of the hammock.

I tied my supplied hammock cord into a small loop on the hammock with a double figure 8 and a loop on the tape (I use climbing tape as I have an ammount spare). clip the carabiner through the loop on the hammock and through the loop on the tape so the biner' flat edge is at the top and the gate is at the bottom so the water drips off fine.

The tape I fasten to the tree using a simple timber hitch, dead easy to adjust and tie allows you to slide it up or down if you need to after setting up and tightens as tight as hell when you get in but unfastens so easily.

With regards stability I have had no problems at all using this method, it has held my weight (17stn) no problems at all.

On my older 2007 DD, the rope / string that came with it did fail after a few usages, thats what pointed me to the climbing tape. Being a bit large I wanted something that could hold my weight in any weather without me worrying I was going to end up on the floor at some point.

B&Q do some stuff like climbing tape at about 50p per meter in red, yellow, black or blue. (no links to store etc) that I have used on my Pyramid jungle hammock for a few years now without a problem. It did strech a bit to start with, but it is fine now. As I only us this one in the summer with lighter kit and clothes I have no problems.

I have used a few types of cord, rope etc and I have to say that the climbing tape is the mutts bits as far as I am concerned. It gives you total confidence that it will not break and for size & weight it is great. It is just keeping youe eye open for some at a good price.

I will be looking to buy some more at the Outdoors Show next month it will be cheap there, caribiners too, you will be able to get a good deal and haggle on the price if you buy a fair bit.;) Could be a group but oportunity?:cool:

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thanks for all the above advice :)

Found a nice animated knot website, from a link on the resources section...

I guess this is the knot you're referring to Mick?
http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8join/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Also looking promising is the double/triple fishermans:
http://www.animatedknots.com/double...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Going to try and get into town tomorrow between meetings, so I'll pick up some lengths of rope to try out - I'm starting to think 3 feet lengths might be better in terms of plenty of slack to tie the knots...

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
3ft is definitely the length to go for with the fig 8 knot, the fisherman's needs longer...
Will post some photos of the set-up after the weekend..

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Karibiners are nice, but a costly luxury IMO, personally I've plumped for these:

Maillon Rapide 6mm Standard

From Cave & Crag...£1.50 each rather than £6-8.00 a pop! Higher rating weight wise, and you can undo them if you need to.

Or maybe I'm just a tight bum?

Thanks for the tip. I picked up 8mm standards for £1.15 in a local surplus/hardware shop. Thanks. The 8mm are a little thicker and about 4/5mm shorter so I hope this is alright and not too snug for the rope.

Ta

LBL

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
1. beer monster........travel......... .............................. ...........................received
2. ahjno...................travel......... .............................. ...........................received
3. andy e.................travel and 3x3 tarp.......................... ....................received
4. littebiglane............campin g............................. .............................. .received
5. dimond dave.........travel x 2............................. .............................. .received
6. lodian...................travel............................. .............................. .received
7. chainsaw..............travel.. .............................. .............................. ....received
8. geuf......................trav el....................................................................received
9. leon-1...................travel.... .............................. .............................. ..received
10. woodstock............travel... .............................. .............................. .received
11. in wood.................travel... .............................. .............................. .received
12. dark horse dave.....3x3 tarp.......................... .............................. ......received
13. nickg....................trave l....................................................................received
14. richie o.................travel...... .............................. ............................received
15. sandbag47............camping x 2 and 3x3 tarp and travel....................received
16. Huon....................travel and 3x3 tarp and webbing...........................received
17. basha...................travel .............................. .............................. .....received
18. mirius...................trave l............................. .............................. .......received
19. bobfromholland......2 x travel and 2 - 3x3 tarps.......................................received
20. cliffc.....................tra vel and 3x3 tarp.......................... ...................received
21. mr rimps...............travel and 3x3 tarp.......................... ...................received
22. myheadsashed......travel...... .............................. ...........................rec eived
23. eskimotwenty........travel and 3x3 tarp.......................... ..................received
24. nightwalker............travel and 3x3 tarp.......................... ...................received
25. soggy boots..........travel and 3x3 tarp .............................. ..............received
26.mick miller.............travel and3x3tarp.................... ............................received
27.celt_ginger.............tra vel........................... .............................. .........received
28.jimmyhighton..........trave l and3x3tarp.................... .............................received
29.ukhaiku..................tr avel and3x3tarp.................... ...........................received
30.Chester`C...............tra vel..................................................................received
31.Stiks...................... .travel....................... .............................. .............received
32.prophecy.................3x 3 tarp...............................................................received

hi all...everybody has their hammocks and tarps now...so i would like to say thank you to all of you for being part of this group buy...and it went so well i think i'll do another one later in the year( i must be nuts) :)
so thanks all:):):)

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thanks for doing this Steve - very much appreciated by all I'm certain :)

Just so you know, I lost my 'hammock-cherry' last night, and while I had some issues with the cold, the comfort of sleeping in the hammock vs on the ground was amazing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE