DD hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
I bought one a while ago, have only strung it up under the carport so far, the length is fine, stitching is good, tarp is far to heavy, 1.7kilos. I bought a KT replacement, bigger and weights under 600 grams. TMKTK suggested cargo straps and tensioning buckles, I have yet to look into that, but may be a viable option, if your not into knots :)

Stephen

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
matt-w said:
One grip is that the ropes aren't long enough. As you can see I wasn't able to set the hammock under the tarp when using the diagonal fix as the ropes no where near reached the same fixing points (I will look into replacing these - any suggestions?).

You could try pulling the rope through the hammock till there's about 2ft spare, tie that in a loop ( bowline should work ) then pull cord up to the hammock and thread the long end through that. Virtually doubles the length of rope avaliable for tieing to supports.

Alternatively thread carabinas through the hammock ends and tie to those, gives a good quick release system with easy adjustment.

Thanks for the info guys,
especially Matt at about six and a half feet and a wee bit heavier than you are your write up has answered most of my questions, and it looks like the DD might be a tight squeeze.
Ogri thanks for the link which led me through to an American site
That said though Tom at Mosquito Hammocks is being really helpful and so long as the dollar is worth about fifty pence it looks like there are some serious bargins to be had (specially if your taller or broader than the national average)
still in negotiation at the moment but looks promising. If all goes to plan I'll post pics and a brief write up in a couple of weeks.
Cheers Tim :)

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
matt-w said:
Hi Tim,

I have just bought a DD hammock, mossie net and tarp combo and am expecting it to arrive soon (hopefully today). I have heard that there have been improvements made so I will let you know what I think although to be honest this is the first hammock I have ever owned so have nothing to compare it to.

The lot bought as a combo costs £49.99 (separately it's £65.98) so I decided to go for it. I'm about 5'11" so should be ok.

Like I said, I'll report back with initial findings.

Where abouts did you get it from

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Gailainne said:
I bought one a while ago, have only strung it up under the carport so far, the length is fine, stitching is good, tarp is far to heavy, 1.7kilos. I bought a KT replacement, bigger and weights under 600 grams. TMKTK suggested cargo straps and tensioning buckles, I have yet to look into that, but may be a viable option, if your not into knots :)

Stephen
I would recommend them cargo straps too, the self tightening ones you can get from builders merchants.....Very easy to use and they don't cut into trees....

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
You could also buy them direct from http://www.ddhammocks.com/ :rolleyes:

I got mine a few days ago and can confirm that it's well made as is the tarp. If you're new to hammocks, then check out the tips on the homepage - very helpful (you can also see pictures of how the netting can be kept even further away from the face through the use of sticks).

The tarp is excellent (though it seems a little on the heavy side as far as tarps go) - mind you, it is 3m by 3m.

Yup, there isn't sufficient rope but then again, you get so many differing opinions regarding the use of rope, tape, snakeskins sleeves, etc that I guess DDHammocks are leaving it up to the owner to choose what setup they prefer. Me? I'm using some rope I found in the woods. Cheap and cheerful.

I've tested mine with a Slim Airic self inflating camping mat (from www.alpkit.com)which fits superbly. Comfort is great without it but even better with. I'm only 5'8" (13 stone of solid muscle :) ) and I fit fine.

Hey, MattW, I'm 36 (the hammock was a recent birthday present - hurrah) and I don't feel the cold. I itend to sleep NAKED in the hammock. If it's cold, I'll just fill it with hot water from the stove. I am of course joking. The water would just run out of the hammock.....

Shame there's no loop inside/outside the netting for hanging a torch from / attaching the netting to a central guy. There's a risk that you'll rip the netting off the hammock if you're not careful so I guess that's why it's not used.

Mind you, being a heterosexual male, I'm sure to get some strange looks when I tell people that I've been sleeping in my hammock with Eric (the "Airic" camping mat).

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Yeah but i dont think they come with insect netting on ebay and I cant find anything about netting on their site. I wandered where the netting came from as Leon said he didnt get any with his?

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Dont worry I got it there are 2 types

Normal and then Travel Hammock I though the travel hammock was the same just had the bit for roof supports but on ebay you can just see through the netting I thought it was just the nylon hammock material my bad.

Thanks

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I used mine last night on Inchcailloch, Loch Lomond, no wind but some rain. I had the head end slightly higher than the ft end,mistake. The thermarest slots in perfectly. The guys needed moved out after a bit of rain. The mozy net is easily held out the way by attaching it to tarp ridge line.

We were canoe camping but solo I would want another 1m aded to the tarp. So my dry bags etc were under it. It's quicker than a tent. Used branches and rocks for guys.

It's amazing to wake up at dawn gazing out of your sleeping bag across a glassy foggy loch, from the comfort of the hammock. :)

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Has anyone added a few sections of velcro to the edge, bottom on the mozzynet one, of the hammock so you can fix in a thermarest and still sleep in between the layers,cocoon like ?

Also, has anyone done this sort of thing ?

TarptentClosedYoungblood.jpg

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Youngblood uses a 10 by 10 foot tarp for that setup. I believe he only uses it in foul weather, as the condensation would be overpowering unless there was a strong wind.
JRB are bringing out something similar soon I believe.
Still, you couldn't get much mre protected from sideways rain than that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE