DD hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello Folks
I'm after a wee bit of advice, has anyone got any experiance of the aforementioned Hammocks?.
If so, how do you rate them?, they seem fairly well priced and it would seem you get alot for your money (tight fisted Yorkshireman that I am). Then again theres a bit of me that insists you only get what you pay for.
Any info, thoughts, experiance would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks Tim

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I don't have one but I've heard they can be a bit short.
The company has apparently listened to customer comments and is now making them slightly bigger - again I have no first hand experience.
You could do a lot worse than join the list for Magikelly's 8th or 9th group buy hammocks - fanbloomintastic.
Or make your own http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm like this.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi Tim,

I have just bought a DD hammock, mossie net and tarp combo and am expecting it to arrive soon (hopefully today). I have heard that there have been improvements made so I will let you know what I think although to be honest this is the first hammock I have ever owned so have nothing to compare it to.

The lot bought as a combo costs £49.99 (separately it's £65.98) so I decided to go for it. I'm about 5'11" so should be ok.

Like I said, I'll report back with initial findings.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Too short and certainly not wide enough to be comfortable. My children like it, however. For them, the dimensions match up. :)

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I used a DD hammock for the first time over the easter weekend and found it really comfortable. I'm just over 6' and the length was fine and my sleeping mat kept the width out.

The only problem I had was the amount of stretch in the tie off line but it was slow enough for me not to wake up on the floor.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have one that I use for my little lad when I take him out with me - he loves it!. One of the things I do like about the DD is the double skin that allows you to put a roll mat or self inflater underneath avoiding the inevitable hammock wrestle when taken inside along with you. I have a HH A-sym and have just bought an underblanket from the group buy so I hopefully will not have that problem again either. I would say the competition beats the DD but then the competition is twice the price and hammock camping is not for everyone so better to find that out before shelling out too much money :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Silverback said:
hammock camping is not for everyone so better to find that out before shelling out too much money :)

That was my thought also; better find out if I can cope in a hammock first and if not then the kids will enjoy it.

Is it advisable to use some kind of roll mat year round as part of a hammock set-up or is it just when temperatures are low?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
matt-w said:
That was my thought also; better find out if I can cope in a hammock first and if not then the kids will enjoy it.

Is it advisable to use some kind of roll mat year round as part of a hammock set-up or is it just when temperatures are low?
when its hot i just sleep in the hammock with no sleeping bag or mat
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol, its a very hot day today and im trying to set up my DD hammock in the garden, problem is i only have a tree to secure one end as the fences are nearly falling down lol, but i have thought up a plan, attach the other end to a step ladder and fasten the ladder down with pegs, guidropes anything i can get my hands on lol
leon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
leon-b said:
lol, its a very hot day today and im trying to set up my DD hammock in the garden, problem is i only have a tree to secure one end as the fences are nearly falling down lol, but i have thought up a plan, attach the other end to a step ladder and fasten the ladder down with pegs, guidropes anything i can get my hands on lol
leon

Be careful Leon. I've got visions of you landing on your @rse with the step ladders on top of you :eek: :lmao:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol thats probably whats going to happen, i better ring the paramedics and get them to watch over me as this daring stunt could go wrong, haha
leon

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I ordered one from them, & it wasnt sewn together completely. So, unfortunately, I never got a chance to actually use it. I can say, however, that their customer service was excellent. I offered to send it back, they simply told me to keep it, & refunded my money. I had it re-sewn for $10. So, I got the DD for almost nothing. My nephew will be trying it out soon, as it will most likely fit him very well (he's scrawny).

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im sleeping in my garden in my DD tonight, its better than not getting out at all
leon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
The tarp,

It seems to be a decent quality; quite substantial yet not too heavy. There are decent fixings on each corner with both loops and eyelets. It came supplied with a good 6 meter ridgeline rope but I think that a longer length might be handy (as you can see from the pictures I set it diagonal and there wasn't a great deal to play with). For the money I'd say it's a pretty good tarp (I'm comparing this with my other cheapo one that cost me about a tenner).

The hammock,

Again decent quality (well I've not ripped throught it yet and I'm packing about 17 st) and good that it is double layered. Regards length, I'm 5'11" and found it to be just about ok but I wouldn't advise anyone over 6' to get one.

One grip is that the ropes aren't long enough. As you can see I wasn't able to set the hammock under the tarp when using the diagonal fix as the ropes no where near reached the same fixing points (I will look into replacing these - any suggestions?).

It was though, quite a buzz to be lying and chilling in the hammock listening to the birds singing and calling. I have hung a lantern from the ridgeline so the kids (honest :eek: ) can sit out under the tarp later on.

Anyway - here you go Leon ;) :

hamtarp1.jpg

hamtarp3.jpg

hamtarp2.jpg

hamtarp4.jpg

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
whats that extra piece of string coming off the hammock ? is it to keep the top up so it doesnt cover your face ? did you put hat there or was it already there as i dont think mine has one
leon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
leon-b said:
whats that extra piece of string coming off the hammock ? is it to keep the top up so it doesnt cover your face ? did you put hat there or was it already there as i dont think mine has one
leon

It came with 2 lengths of cord Leon. They were coiled up and attached one either end on the loops on the mossie net. I assumed they were for tis reason; i.e. a workaround to lift the netting away from your face and feet to keep the little sods from munching you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE