DD Hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have one and they seem ok, I like the extra width of them, so you can pull it over you as a cover. They are nowhere near as good as the ones that Magikelly did on here as a group buy though...............Jon

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Thanks for the inf - not as good tho, in what way? The owner says they'll soon be offering bashas and netting at a decent price, which looked nice...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
The ones that Magikelly got are lighter, stronger and longer and have a pocket which it all stuffs into...............Jon

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
My DD is great. I've no experience of any others though. As Jon says, they are wide enough to cover the body even though you're on the hammock. They are also double layered, therefore you can put insulation between the layers or sleep on the bottom layer and pull the top layer over as a rain cover (like a bivvi).

The straps are strong and thick. It's all rigged for you and for £22 one can't complain, although as I say, I've not experienced any other hammock.

I was put off my Magikelly's because i had to buy the straps and rings extra (I'm idle and short of cash :rolleyes: ) It would have put the price up to £35 ish.

Hennesy's look the biz but are expensive at @£85. But you've gotta consider this includes the tarp and netting.

Clarkes are the Hilton of Hammocks, but are pretty extortionate price wise.

Pablo

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The DD is a good hammock.

I now also have the Magikelly hammock and I agree it is a nicer hammock the DD has a feature that the Magikelly does not.

The DD is a Thai hammock design, it is constructed by folding the fabric in half. Therefore you have a hammock size pocket that is excellent for sliding your mat into so it doesn't slip around under you. Also if it's a bit windy but dry you can sleep in the pocket out of the wind and not bother with a tarp.

Good value for money, I liked mine enough to buy my son one and he's very happy with it.

Hope that helps

Moduser

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
You've all been very helpful - thanks for your time and advice.

As funds are short, I've decided to opt for the DD - I like the double layer aspect and the fact that it has everything that you need (no need for extras - as limited as they may be). Nick, the owner of DD has informed me that they'll be including netting and tarps very soon, so I'll wait for them (perhaps) and send a review in when I get one.

I'm always careful when buying kit (sourcing the best value for money equipment - IMHO - and rarely impulse buying). Hopefully I'm making the right choice. Anyways, I mod so much of my gear that I doubt it'll survive without some adjustment :) Hell, you should see my rucksack, knife holster, dog trailer, et al.

PS I am not affiliated with Nick or DD hammocks - I'm just picky with my gear.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've not got any experience of any of the other hammocks but I do have a DD and it's great. I've shortened the supplied tape to just a loop at each end and use some climbing tape and carabiners to hold it up. The carabiners also act as a barrier and stop rain water soaking along the tape. This proved very much needed on a very wet weekend in march, the climbing tape was saturated but the water stopped at the crabs.

In January I used it like a cocoon, climbing in between the layers for a bit more insulation, this worked a treat down to -6 or less.

I got the DD hammock 'cos I wasn't sure if I'd like using one, but I have to say I'm a convert and love it. Some of the best nights sleep ever!

Simon.

leon-1

I have a DD hammock, the design is almost identical to my original thai hammock and to be honest they are cheap and cheerfull. What I would say is that I have been using a thai hammock for over 10 years now and I have not seen any innovation in hammock design that has me clammering to buy anything else.

The cost of the like of hennesys do not inspire me to buy one and the difference between them doesn't really justify the cost IMO.

For the cost you can't go too far wrong, so if you want one, go for it :)

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Pablo said:
Slimey,

Love to see a pic of your DD hamock mod if you've got one.

Pablo

I wouldn't really call it a mod. The only photo's I've got of the setup are on film so I'll scan them in if I get time.

When they arrive the DD hammocks have a length of webbing at each end for attatching it to trees. All I have done is to reduce this webbing to a small loop at each end of the hammock. I have two 5M lengths of climbing tape that each have a small loop at one end. The climbing tape is tied round the trees and then I use the crabs to connect the hammock to the tape. Job done!

This means I can keep the tape seperate from the hammock, handy when it is saturated with rainwater. The tape cost me about 12 quid and the crabs were 1.99 each so it adds to the cost but I think it improves the setup.

Simon.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, that''s exactly what I did with my DD hammock too - except my tapes don't have a loop in the end. Seemed like a sensible thing to do, for exactly the reasons you mention. It rains a lot in Scotland... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE