DD Hammocks cord Vs actual paracord.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I am considering getting some paracord from bushcraftstore ort 5 Star cord. At the moment I have some very stretchy cord from DD Hammocks that came with my tarp.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are? Is DD Hammocks one just a cheap knock of? Are there benefits of having "proper" cord?

Thanks,

James

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
For the application the cordage supplied is perfectly good.

The stretch allows for heavy wind which can prevent the tarp from unnecessary stretch, meaning stretchy cord reduces the chance of your tarp ripping but still allows it to be tensioned. Similar to using bungees.

Paracord still has the stretch but is a lot stronger though there is a small weight increase.

The DD tarp comes with four guy lines which if used on four corners still leaves you needing a guy line.

For a full lengh guy line where taughtness of the line is wanted, though slight stretch is needed to accommodate for tree movement.

In summery the supplied cordage is perfect for the corners but paracord would be better for a ridgeline.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Please don't use paracord. It's not fixed forces on a hammock suspension (I forget the fancy term) which means paracord at ~500lb breaking really isn't sufficient! The lightest I would go is aborists' dyneema line. If you're thinking upgrading bits and bobs why not just go all out and get whoopie slings, or if you want to stick with webbing IIRC polyproplene (sp?) webbing is non stretch.

The DD webbing will eventually settle out and altho it'll still stretch a little nothing like it does the first few times.

/e: Rereading thread, not sure if this is about hammock suspension or using the cord as ridge/guy lines. Nvm LOL

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I am looking for paracord (potentially) to replace the tarp cord that the DD Hammocks TARP came with. I would not use it to suspend my hammock :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The best line by far for tarp ridgelines is polyester covered dyneema or arborists dyneema braided throw line. These lines have zero stretch, which means you tarp will feel much more secure and quieter in the wind.

These lines also don't soak up water so your kit stays drier and lighter. Its also much less prone to tangling than standard poly or nylon cords. Well worth the investement if you plan to hang your tarp regularly.

Google either Kingfisher dyneema rope, Marlow racing dyneema, English braids dyneema for my favourite lines at the best price. These types tangle less than any other. 3-4mm dia is what you want.

If you want really light, go for a spool of New England ropes dynaglide, Stein 1.8mm throwline or samson Zing-it.

If you want highly visible/reflective lines at night, go for Expeds line or another reflective guyline-I don't like them though, they are too bright at night for me.

For cheapness, my favourite paracord is the cheaper polypropylene stuff-its much lighter and soaks up much less water than kernmantle paracord.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I use paracord from the bushcraft store, http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/550-gsa-compliant-paracord-85-c.asp

It does the job absolutely fine, never had a problem with it. I stick up a ridge line first, which has two loops loops of garden sisal tied on using prussiks. The loops at the nd of my tarp have some small carabiners attached, as does the loop in the middle of my tarp. All I do then is clip the middle direct to the ridgline, and the ends to the prissik loops and then tension it by sliding the prussiks up the line. I then peg out the corners, and hey presto. It's a quick, easy way of getting your tarp up, and the paracord has never failed me yet.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
My ridgeline is made from 4mm climbing accessory cord at 20 odd p per meter from go outdoors, does the job perfectly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Reading this (and it may just be me) it isn't clear if the query and responses are about the cord used at the four corners (say) or the tape used between two trees

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Reading this (and it may just be me) it isn't clear if the query and responses are about the cord used at the four corners (say) or the tape used between two trees

My ridgeline is 3mm poly coated kingfisher Dyneema and the guy-outs are 1.5mm dyneema.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE