DD Hammock Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Being a Stingy Git I decided not to puchase the new DD Frontline Hammock or Sleeve but Modify my old one and make a sleeve for myself, This is the result:

DD Travel Hammock and new zip - 2.3 Metres in length - internal zip opening only

001ddhammockandzip.jpg

MOD Insertion Sack Large

002modinsertionsack.jpg

Cut Mossie Net as close to base as possible

003cutmossienet.jpg

Pin in as close as possible

004pininnewzip.jpg

Get Mummy to sew in

005sewin.jpg

Cut Insertion Sack

006cutinsertionsackopen.jpg

Cut Insertion Sack into four 10 cms wide

007cutinsertionsackinto.jpg

Sew four lengths together

008sew4lengthstogether.jpg

Get Mummy to fold in half and sew lengthways to make tube

009foldinhalfandsew.jpg

Finished Hammock

010finishedresult.jpg

Finished Skin

011skin.jpg

Half on

012skin.jpg

Full on

013skin.jpg

Ties at either end

014tiesatends.jpg

Total cost £3 for zip and £1 on cotton - Result :red: :red:

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats excellent Martin , wish I new someone who was a dab hand with a sewing machine.
I am currently making some leather bags and i am finding leather work and sewing is not one of my strong points.

Thanks for posting that its food for thought!

Andy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for your comments,

Matthew - for £4 definitely not.

Shewie - No Charge as the song goes.

Scrogger - I just had to Mod it. lol

Swampy - good job my mum doesn't drink.

Asa - thanks

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Nice work Martin - looking really good. I don't have a Mummy that's handy with a sewing machine so was a bit scared at the prospect of doing it myself. The photo 'finished' hammock looks exactly like the Frontline one on the DD website so I think Mummy's done a top job - nice one!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice work Martin - looking really good. I don't have a Mummy that's handy with a sewing machine so was a bit scared at the prospect of doing it myself. The photo 'finished' hammock looks exactly like the Frontline one on the DD website so I think Mummy's done a top job - nice one!

Thanks for your comments, the design was based on the Frontline, although mine has two single zips for inside opening only as I couldn't get any with double sided zips.

Feb 13, 2008
Finland
Wow, nice mod! Me thinks me needs to sew one of those sleeves. That looks well handy. I always did find it a bit clumsy to fold up the hammock while trying to keep it off the forest floor.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Wow, nice mod! Me thinks me needs to sew one of those sleeves. That looks well handy. I always did find it a bit clumsy to fold up the hammock while trying to keep it off the forest floor.

Thanks. Even with the sleeve on it still fits into the issued stuff sack as well :D

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Yep the sleeve really helps out when showing the hammock into the stock stuff sack - whether purchased or home-made like Martin's. I think the best bit is what Napakettu points out - it's a bit of a pain stowing the hammock especially if it's wet. This has to be my #1 mod!! Though very closely followed by Martin's DIY frontline - I may well have a bash at this one. Slightly off topic I'm extremely excited at the prospect of spending next week in my DD at a Bushcraft Expeditions Fundamental course - 1st course for me and I cannot wait to get down there!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE