DD Frontline or TW Green Hornet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I understand there may be a new kid on the block soon in terms of enclosed hammocks (with integral mossie nets) but at the minute these 2 are on my watch list in terms of specs, features and price.

DD Hammocks Frontline and Tenth Wonder Green Hornet.

I haven't seen either in the flesh yet. I'd be going for the standard sized ones as I'm 5' 8" and of slim(ish) build. Whichever I end up buying I'll probably go with their 3x3 tarp as well.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Cheers

Andy

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Love my TW Hornet - I have three TW hammocks and have been very pleased with them all. Made in the UK too, so good to support that! I recommend going for the bigger ones like the XL - you end up with a much more comfortable lay. Quality is excellent and I don't know how he can make them so good for so little money. Highly recommended!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The Hornet looks far more versatile than the Frontline from the pictures I've just seen... particularly like the ground layout of it.

I have the Frontline... its a good hammock, but other than my day hammock (which is essentially a net with O rings at either end) it is the only hammock I've had experience of... its comfortable, easy to set up and well made, but again, not tried others to compare it with.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
I had a hornet xl, very well made bit of kit. Hammocking wasn't for me though so reverted to ground dwelling. Not because of the hammock but more bulk issue for backpacking in winter, pack size was smaller with lightweight tent and good mat than it was with hammock tarp and underblanket.

Steve

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I had a hornet xl, very well made bit of kit. Hammocking wasn't for me though so reverted to ground dwelling. Not because of the hammock but more bulk issue for backpacking in winter, pack size was smaller with lightweight tent and good mat than it was with hammock tarp and underblanket.

Steve

Yeah I hear you. Winter hammocking (from my research thus far) involves carrying a lot of extra insulation whereas a lightweight back packing tent provides a more more robust and warmer/drier option.

Scotty Von Porkchop

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2013
Lake district
www.ebay.co.uk
Winter hammocking without decent lightweight down quilts, top and bottom, will weigh more but it's pretty easy to get lightweight while hammocking in the UK and still has the benefit of getting you out of the sludge and melt as it's rarely very cold here for long.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
So my cheque has arrived and I can use it early next week. I was going to go with a 3x3m tarp but I'm seeing post from folks that say 3x3 isn't enough for a 'decent sized' hammock. Ye gads I use to get by with the issue poncho back when I was a lad, and later the Survival Aids DPM Basha. I'd guess these 2 hammocks would be classed as decent sized as they both come in at 2.8 m.

The problem as I see it with a 4m tarp would be finding suitable trees 5m apart. Or am I over thinking it?

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have no issues with a 3 x 3 tarp - used as a diamond it is about 4.4m wide, huge! It covers long hammocks with no problem so don't be put off, it's a great piece of kit.

Finding trees 5m apart doesn't take too much work - remember that you don't need the ground under your hammock to be flat/dry/weed free like if you were going to sleep on the ground!
Hope this helps
Phil

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I have no issues with a 3 x 3 tarp - used as a diamond it is about 4.4m wide, huge! It covers long hammocks with no problem so don't be put off, it's a great piece of kit.

Finding trees 5m apart doesn't take too much work - remember that you don't need the ground under your hammock to be flat/dry/weed free like if you were going to sleep on the ground!
Hope this helps
Phil

Thanks Philster. Been a long time since I was under a basha/tarp. It's hard to visualise in my head sometimes, and then you see folks with different opinions etc. Think I've made my mind up now.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Well the deed is done. I've gone for the Green Hornet with double zips, a Cornelius (why do I think of Milla Jojovich whenever I read that word) 3 x 3 tarp and a compact hammock for gear/day lounging. Also got some polyester tree huggers with multiple loops for carabiners (coarse adjustment) and a set of whoopie slings for final tweaks on the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE