DD Frontline or TW Green Hornet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
So my cheque has arrived and I can use it early next week. I was going to go with a 3x3m tarp but I'm seeing post from folks that say 3x3 isn't enough for a 'decent sized' hammock. Ye gads I use to get by with the issue poncho back when I was a lad, and later the Survival Aids DPM Basha. I'd guess these 2 hammocks would be classed as decent sized as they both come in at 2.8 m.

The problem as I see it with a 4m tarp would be finding suitable trees 5m apart. Or am I over thinking it?

I've just seen this post. I have used 3m long tarps and find them just too short for heavy rain, pitching a 3x3 in a diamond leaves the quarters exposed to horizontal driven rain, I've not been too keen on getting a 4x4m as I don't think you need all that much on the sides. However I recently bought a "Sargasso" tarp from TW 3.9m long 2.5m wide, this I feel is a good proportion for a single hammock [no connection with TW - just bought some of their stuff and happy]. Plenty long enough and wide enough yet not too much material so still quite light and manageable. Admittedly I haven't used it in the wild or under harsh conditions yet but from trial pitching's in the garden I have been pretty pleased.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Yeah I can see me getting one of those soon. Here some stills from the test hang last night in some nearby woods, and some close ups taken this morning when I repacked the gear. I have a video that I'll upload later this evening.

20160712_201936_zpsriyhozyn.jpg

20160712_201925_zpsaledvj89.jpg

20160712_201905_zpsy7i5bhag.jpg

20160713_104215_zpsh6k8yfyz.jpg

20160713_103415_zpsolhc8fxn.jpg

20160713_100403_zpsoabtui36.jpg

20160712_203343_zpsfjs8ghns.jpg

Cheers

Andy

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Never tried a DD frontline but have been out a few times in my Hornet and found every part of TW hammocks to be great. Spent last night sharing my hornet with 2 spaniels and was still comfy. Didn't sleep much but that was because one of the dogs was a dick and decided to guard camp all night but I was awake and comfortable. Use the sargasso tarp with it and found it to be the nuts also. Rate this company mucho
imagejpeg

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Field tested the Hornet last weekend with my new Snugpak Jungle Sleeping bag and US Poncho liner. Didn't need the whoopie slings as the multi-loop straps were long enough on their own. Very comfortable night's sleep spoiled only by the mat shifting/not following me when I rolled diagonal, so my feet got a little cold. Now got a Snugpak under blanket so I don't see this happening again. Still need to try out the Compact hammock but I'll wait until it gets cold and the bugs stop flying before I do that.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Well I'm for DD.
But I would be wouldn't I :)
All I can say is I haven't seen a TW group buy on here.
And I've never had a bad DD group buy yet :)

Last edited:

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I don't think TW does stuff like that (bulk buy discounts), as their stuff is already cheap as chips for what you get. I may be wrong, I certainly have no complaints. The Cornelius tarp is a great bit of gear with some very good features.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE