DD Camping Hammock Cocoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone who uses the DD Camping Hammock had used it sleeping between the two hammocks, rather than on top. If so, is it comfortable and practical to do so, in terms of breathability/condensation/temperature etc.? I'm looking to use it in midge and mozzie country, so wondered if sleeping in the middle would offer protection from bugs, or if I should go for the Travel version instead?

Any insight much appreciated!

Cheers.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve got both the travel and the fronter hammocks from dd, some say the travel has condensation problems, myslef I have had no problems, from what i read its the waterproof base of the travel that causes the condensation, I have used my travel, in all weathers and not had a problem as I said before, I must admit I find the frontier a better sleep for me, it just feels better....

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've never owned a DD, but have used my Hornet regularly since 09, and never had a problem with it. In my opinion It's pretty bombproof and I would certainly buy
another. Funny thing is though, I use a DD 3x3 tarp.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've owned the DD Travel and the TW Green Hornet. Build quality is pretty good on both, but you do get a couple more features in the TW (utility line inside the mossie net and a pocket for your odds n sods). The TW is also a little wider which makes it a lot easier to achieve a comfortable sleeping position;
TW green hornet is 1.5m and the DD travel 1.4m. I have the 1.8m version of the Green Hornet, it awesome :D.

May 18, 2013
United Kingdom
I've owned the DD Travel and the TW Green Hornet. Build quality is pretty good on both, but you do get a couple more features in the TW (utility line inside the mossie net and a pocket for your odds n sods). The TW is also a little wider which makes it a lot easier to achieve a comfortable sleeping position;
TW green hornet is 1.5m and the DD travel 1.4m. I have the 1.8m version of the Green Hornet, it awesome :D.

From what I've heard, I think the latest DD Travel has a utility line and a small pocket too, possibly following the TW. Sounds like the TW's are pretty well regarded. Impressive given the pricing, gonna give those a serious look. The only downside I can see to the hornet is the lack of a waterproof base, which makes it tricky for ground use. On the other hand, it's more comfortable. Sounds like the ideal would be if DD kept the lower of the two layers on the Travel waterproof, made it detachable, and had the upper level breathable.
Thanks for the input!

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Used the DD Travel Hammock in November in Scotland, and Slept in the Base with the zip just opened a little bit ffor air and was so Cosy that I did not waken till 9.00am. I had a foam carrymat under me and found that this was OK. I am normally a warm sleeper anyway. Hope that this is of help.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
From what I've heard, I think the latest DD Travel has a utility line and a small pocket too, possibly following the TW. Sounds like the TW's are pretty well regarded. Impressive given the pricing, gonna give those a serious look. The only downside I can see to the hornet is the lack of a waterproof base, which makes it tricky for ground use. On the other hand, it's more comfortable. Sounds like the ideal would be if DD kept the lower of the two layers on the Travel waterproof, made it detachable, and had the upper level breathable.
Thanks for the input!

TW do make a waterproof based Green Hornet, my friend has one and he regrets not getting the standard one. Causes condensation on the inside of the hammock. Might be worth getting the standard one and taking a ground sheet of some sort for if you ever need to go to ground (just my 2p's anyway :)).

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've got the dd camping hammock and sleep inside the layers. Its very breathable, I've never had condensation at all and its comfortable. Only problem can be the top layer falling on your face if you dont lay quite right.

May 18, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got the dd camping hammock and sleep inside the layers. Its very breathable, I've never had condensation at all and its comfortable. Only problem can be the top layer falling on your face if you dont lay quite right.

Great! This is sort of what I was hoping to hear. Inside the layers spare you the midges, which is what I was a bit concerned about. I'm used to cheap bivying, so the fabric over my face shouldn't bother me too much.

May 18, 2013
United Kingdom
TW do make a waterproof based Green Hornet, my friend has one and he regrets not getting the standard one. Causes condensation on the inside of the hammock. Might be worth getting the standard one and taking a ground sheet of some sort for if you ever need to go to ground (just my 2p's anyway :)).

I was a little worried about condensation. I hear mixed things, some people have no problem with it and some find it affects them. Maybe it could be alleviated by sleeping directly on a mat, avoiding the hammock fabric?

May 18, 2013
United Kingdom

Also, just a thought. It says on the website that the waterproof layer is detachable, so if you were using it as a hammock you could just pop the waterproof bit of, maybe use it as a tarp for your pack or something, and then that might solve the condensation issues?

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Great! This is sort of what I was hoping to hear. Inside the layers spare you the midges, which is what I was a bit concerned about. I'm used to cheap bivying, so the fabric over my face shouldn't bother me too much.

If you lay on the diagonal you should be fine. Insulation is a must though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE