DD Bergen 45 L - Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Gotta say that I agree with your review, which I thought was very fair. I'm not a long distance walker nor even very experienced in walking with packs, but for £42 it is a good piece of kit. I have mostly kept the 'fanny pack' / bumbag part of the bergen on so far, but have used it separately as a small tool / sharps / FAK / lunch carrying pack without the main bag. I too have added elastic straps but to the two loops on the rear panel so I could strap my sleeping mat on. It gets my vote.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I have just bought one from DD, I am looking forward to getting out and using it as part of a lightweight set up I am putting together, its not ultra lightweight but much lighter than what I am used to, this pack will enable me to use it as a day pack, a weekender and hopefully give me enough room for a week away, thats the plan, kaizer

I posted this comment on your blog as well: Thanks for the review, looks like a good pack. Very similar to the British military bergen, which has side pouches attached by heavy zippers and straps. Those webbing straps on your pack look like a variation of MOLLE or PALS webbing. Pouches are mounted in a similar manner, but there is another row of webbing loops and the attachment straps are woven through these rows and then secured usually by a snap or some other means. The velcro straps on your pack do look weak. You can take a look at the MOLLE system and see if there's a modification you can make using different attachment straps etc.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I used mine in anger for the first time this weekend and the actual bergen and side pockets worked well, they took everything i could throw at them, an Alpkit Brukit fits in one of the side pouches with a 250ml gas canister on top, well happy, the only let down for me was the bumbag, tons of room and a great concept, the bumbag convinced me to buy the bergen in the first place, however the buckles and cliplock of the belt won't stay cinched up, it comes loose, if DD had spent a couple of pence more on theadjustable one way buckles that come on all other backpacks/bergens, it would be a fantastic pack, sadly let down by penny pinching, am I happy overall with the pack, yes I am, but I now have to buy another adjustable cliplock for the bumbag, I know they are cheap, but principally I find it hard to believe

These DO look good actually, especially for the price. The only thing i'd criticise (though don't own one... yet (I'm currently looking for a decent 45ltr bergen and its a contender)) is the velcro attchment for the side things, the bumbag being "wobbly" and the hip straps not being padded. Those aside though I'm really tempted. Would you say it's big enough for a 3 day wild camp trip (sleeping bag, hammock/tarp, lightweight cooking setup, water bottles (2x1ltr) and food?

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
A tarp fits in snug in one of the side pouches, the sleeping bag and hammock can go in the main compartiment. A zebra billy (12 cm) fits in the other side pouch. You'd still have plenty of room for water, food and some extra bits and bobs without a problem normally. I don't use the bumbag on the outside of the backpack, I use it as an organizer for all my smaller items, which goes in the main compartiment. The bumbag sure can fit a zebra billy can, stove, eating utensils and so on.
(I gave away the bumbag at first but got it back after a while, which made me think of giving it a second chance, glad I did :p )

To give you an idea of how you can still get use out of it, please follow the link below:

https://belgianbirkebeiner.wordpress.com/quest-for-kit/dd-action-pack-organiser/

Last edited:

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
after using my DD Bergen I have discovered that You can also fit an Alpkit Brukit and a 250ml gas cannister into a side pocket, its a bit tight but it will fit, The main compartment is roughly the same volume as a side pocket

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I originally bought the bergen in February and it has had a few outings now, I have previously commented on its shortfalls, I can get the DD underblanket, overblanket, Frontline Hammock, 3x3 DDtarp, a ground sheet 1.8 x 2.2m , some longjohns and a top in the bag, I have modded it with the wrap aound bungee cord to stop everything bouncing about and I have purchased the 4 extra side pouches to give me more space, with the bum bag around my waist seperately, and to be honest it is working out just fine for a weekend or the odd overnighter, I can just about manage a weekend, someone questioned the velcro attachments and to be fair I don't think these will last long and are starting to fray already, but they are still holding their own, for the price these bergens are good value for money

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE