DC4 Group buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Got mine today, cheers for doing this Spoony. Now a noob question for you all: I want to sharpen my frosts mora but im not sure whether to sharpen the full width of the grind or just the very edge of it?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Dear Spoony,

I'm very sorry but I had completely forgotten about this Group Buy. I think I must have had a few pints when I put my name down.

I've got a postal order now though, and will be posting it out today.

sorry for the delay, thanks for doing this group buy!

Dommy

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
dommyracer said:
Dear Spoony,

I'm very sorry but I had completely forgotten about this Group Buy. I think I must have had a few pints when I put my name down.

I've got a postal order now though, and will be posting it out today.

sorry for the delay, thanks for doing this group buy!

Dommy

no worries will be after xmas now though before you get it,

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just wondering what peoples sharpening techiniques are with the DC4?

I have tried using the technique on the box, where by I keep the blade on the the DC4 (diamond side) at a flat angle and then move the blade around in circular motion. Finishing off by doing the same lightly on the ceramic side.

I have also tried sharpening blades by sweeping the blade accross the diamond side from top to bottom and then repeating the process until i'm happy, and then doing the same for the ceramic side.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Spoony,

Thanks mate, got mine yesterday from the Post Office, top bit of kit. Thanks again for all your hard work organising the buy. :D

Cheers mate,

Bri

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Zammo said:
I have also tried sharpening blades by sweeping the blade accross the diamond side from top to bottom and then repeating the process until i'm happy, and then doing the same for the ceramic side.
That good 'ol boy Ray Mears shows this on one of his DVD "extras". He starts with the diamond side and does the "slicing" away on one side of the knife 10 times then back the opposite way 10 times then 10 alternate. He then turns it over puts it back between the nails and repeate it on the other side. Then he strops 50 times.

I have tried this on my Mara and it does give a really good edge but not hair triming like he gets. I need to work on my technique more :)

I wonder how he gets the nails out again? :confused:

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Zodiak said:
That good 'ol boy Ray Mears shows this on one of his DVD "extras". He starts with the diamond side and does the "slicing" away on one side of the knife 10 times then back the opposite way 10 times then 10 alternate. He then turns it over puts it back between the nails and repeate it on the other side. Then he strops 50 times.

I have tried this on my Mara and it does give a really good edge but not hair triming like he gets. I need to work on my technique more :)

I wonder how he gets the nails out again? :confused:

Thanks Zodiak, which DVD is that on?

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Zammo said:
Thanks Zodiak, which DVD is that on?
I borrowed it from the library and am 99% sure it was "Ray Mears Bushcraft Survival Series 1 DVD"

According to teh RM site it includes "Additional footage has been filmed especially for the Bushcraft enthusiast. Ray has included sharpening a knife in the field, sharpening a knife at camp, how to handle a knife, cutting with a knife, making cordage from nettles and an interview about the cheetah-kill filmed in Tanzania."

and series 2 included "Additional footage has been filmed especially for the Bushcraft enthusiast. Ray has included sharpening an axe at camp, looking after your axe, choosing and using an axe,splittingwood with a saw, how to light a fire, safe water, the birch bark canoe, making a container from birch bark, making a matchbox from birch bark, making a container from cedar, making a container from ash bark and snakes of the lowland heaths of Britian."

Hope that helps

One day Amazon will have the chep and then I will actually buy them but right now he is going to be on Cable channles on heck of a lot during January so I will try to catch some then

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There are a few different ways of sharpening a knife on a whetstone, and to be honest I don't think there's much to choose between them - it's just a question of finding which one you're most comfortable with and practice to get good results. The most important thing is being able to set and maintain a consistent sharpening angle.

Personally, I'd say that it's easiest to get that consistent angle by the "slicing" technique, but you can do the job much quicker with a "circular" technique. Of course, that means you can stuff it up quicker too... ;)

Finishing off with a strop is the key to true sharpness - but only if you've got a good edge to start with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE