day walking bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Took a bimble out in Northumberland today. rather splendid walk with a couple of chaps form the site.

anyway got to thinking about kit and bag for a days walk as I have a 45litre karrimor hot earth which is slowly dying the death with each passing hike.

kit carried today...

trangia 2 pots and kettle version
1/2 litre sigg meths bottle
waterproof trousers
waterproof jacket
hat
gloves
first aid kit
x2 58 issue 1litre water bottles
58 issue cup
leather man
helle knife
coffee sachets
map compass and GPS
couple choccy bars
pipe and tobacco
matches and a lighter

bag wasn't over heavy but I can't imagine walking with a smaller pack, anyone able to offer some advice for a new pack that'd carry the sort of kit listed above. Was tempted by the sabre or the predator but hear that they arent really designed for walking all day with.

cheers fellas :)

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If your looking for a good pack with hydration built in I recommend a Camelbak Motherlode. About £90 but a lot of bang for your buck !!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
If your looking for a good pack with hydration built in I recommend a Camelbak Motherlode. About £90 but a lot of bang for your buck !!

you wont do better than that, it will last a lifetime doing the day to day things your up to, i have the same and its done some hard hard work mate, tours in afghan are very hard on kit...:)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Took a bimble out in Northumberland today. rather splendid walk with a couple of chaps form the site.

anyway got to thinking about kit and bag for a days walk as I have a 45litre karrimor hot earth which is slowly dying the death with each passing hike.

kit carried today...

trangia 2 pots and kettle version
1/2 litre sigg meths bottle
waterproof trousers
waterproof jacket
hat
gloves
first aid kit
x2 58 issue 1litre water bottles
58 issue cup
leather man
helle knife
coffee sachets
map compass and GPS
couple choccy bars
pipe and tobacco
matches and a lighter

bag wasn't over heavy but I can't imagine walking with a smaller pack, anyone able to offer some advice for a new pack that'd carry the sort of kit listed above. Was tempted by the sabre or the predator but hear that they arent really designed for walking all day with.

cheers fellas :)

my kit list is pretty much the same as yours, minus the tobaco and pipe, and i use a crusader cooking system instead, I carry it all in a highlander proforce 25lt, you cant feel it on your back and walking poles can attach to the outside of it, perfect little daypack and cost arround £30,

ps there is still room for more kit if i want to ad more ;)

greensurfingbear

Thanks for the reply guys. I don't like going into shops to look at kit as all looks so shiney and good. Its much better to ask folk that are actually using the kit And putting it through its paces. Hadn't considered the motherlode, is it comfy to walk with and can it be used for a weekend away? As much as I like thev look of the karrimor predator and Sabre to many folks have said its not really a walkers bag.

Orric

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
That load doesn't look overly much nor heavy. A Sabre in 30l flavour would be more than enough room. As would a Berghaus Munro etc. Squaddies carry these for miles on end, often with the bags exceeding their rated weight. I suspect a predator and sting would be overkill as a day bag. The clamshell designs came after the sabre/Munro but are increasing in popularity. Buy any of the big names and it should last a long time. I'd buy a Sabre 30 for the load you specify. If you start getting ally on it i.e. hydration and the like, the choice changes!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Thanks for the reply guys. I don't like going into shops to look at kit as all looks so shiney and good. Its much better to ask folk that are actually using the kit And putting it through its paces. Hadn't considered the motherlode, is it comfy to walk with and can it be used for a weekend away? As much as I like thev look of the karrimor predator and Sabre to many folks have said its not really a walkers bag.

Orric

they are awesome Orric, very comfy, depends on what kit you want to take really though, its not the biggest bag in the world, a summer 2 or 3 dayer it would cover easy enough, a 2 or 3 dayer in winter im not so sure with the winter warm kit etc...

you can get daysacks the same quality and size without the camel pack for around £60 -70 +... worth a look in soldier magazine, they show some of them, or give me a pm and i will try and get hold of some makes sizes and cost for you mate...

let me know dude...;)

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

All good choices above!

I have a 37L Bugout Bag which is used by forces etc

A few shops have them including ebay.

Worth a look at the reviews.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The nearest direct equivalent to a Hot Earth would be a Sabre 45...The Camelback Motherlode is a very good pack from a lot of perspectives. However there have been several different models and the features on each on one vary a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE