Date code dare?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi all,

While clearing out some stuff I've come upon a pile of Wayfayrer food that's out of date... Veg curries dated at 2008, spotted dick at 2008 and Lancashire hotpot at 2012. Do I bin it or risk eating one & see if I live? The packaging is all in good condition.

Look forward to any thoughts...

GB.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Cook it and try. Your nose will keep you right, but if you're going out in the wilds, take a spare just in case it has turned.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it freeze dried or MRE? I'd not be worried by freeze dried. Use your eyes and your nose. Use by dates often reflect nutrition not safety

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're MRE's, just being a mean Scot and wondering. The 2012 doesn't bother me at all - the 2008 not so sure about. Would try them at home with good loo facilities...

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have a tin of sardines that have no date stamp because they were bought before it was a requirement. I have no idea when that was. Does anybody know?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I had some curry from 2006 a couple of weeks ago and good as gold.
Smelt like curry and tasted ok.
Open it and let us know.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've got a some chicken and mushroom pasta with a pack date of 2004 knocking around in my kit box... Not built up the courage yet.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I recently opened up a 24 hour rat pack which had a packing date of 2002. The sachets of tea had gone hard but the coffee was OK. Biscuits fruit and brown were fine, the chocolate had developed white speckles but this does not affect the taste. The main meals were fine except for the fruit dumplings which had turned to mush. The hot chocolate was fine also (I don't like the fruit drinks powder so just binned them but they looked to be OK)

If the bags on your meals have 'blown' then don't eat them. Over years pouch and tinned food may loose texture and there is some loss in vitamin content.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Veg curry wasn't as bitter as Wayfayrer ones usually are, spotted dick was very hard - ate it cold though. No rushes off to the loo yet! Thought it'd be fine but wondered what experiences others had had. Cheers...

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm sorry but if you have to run to the loo after a dodgy hard spotted dick you only have yourself to blame.
I would guess its the fruit that has gone off.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh :rolleyes:....it's bad enough explaining to the non commonwealth folks, but it's worse to the under 16's.....of which I think the Boss still has four.

Glad to hear that the experiment is going fine; I'm pretty sure I've got some foil packed ones stashed somewhere that must date to the late 1990's :eek:
I really need a total de-clutter.

atb,
M

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Back in the 70's, somebody must have opened an old Army warehouse, because we were issued with some large tins of corned beef with First World War packing dates. It was still in good condition, and we ate quite a lot of it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well I've eaten like a rat pack king this last couple of days, the hot-pot, the spotted dick and the veg curry - which I'll say again has improved. I write this from a locked bath-room... No I'm fine. The packaging was all checked and was in good nick, and no adverse after effects just a full tummy. Wasn't sure of the pouches over tins for longevity but they seem good.

Burp! Cheers for the advice folks,
GB.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It would seem that pouch meals, like their tinned equivalents, are fine as long as the packaging is intact and not "blown".
RM and a survival buddy ate WW2 pemmican in one of his progs...
Taste and texture may not be ideal, but it should still be sustaining and not poisonous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE