Dark Peaks (Derbyshire)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hoping to do a extended trip around the Dark Peaks area, probably 4-5 days. What points of interest do folks suggest in the Kinder, Derwent/Howden Moors and Bleaklow Moor areas? Epic cloughs, mysterious stones and dramatic vista's all accepted!

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Bushcrafty or touristy? Castleton for tourists with plenty of pubs. Edale for the start of some good walks and scenery with camping and a couple more pubs.
Hope this helps.
Riven.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Certainly cross Kinder. It's quite navigationallly satisfying for the Gates to appear out of the mist when expected.

Kinder Downfall is worth seeing - a waterfall that blows upwards in certain windy conditions.

There is (or was) the relics of a crashed wartime Consolidated Liberator on Mill Hill - you could still see wings and engines when I was up there last. In fact there are numerous aircraft crash sites in the area, though often little to see now.

Mam Tor and the landslip.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Walky/Bushcrafty...
Kinder Downfall is on the list, as is Mermaids Pool just down from it.
I've heard of the remains of wartime planes up there, I'll do some research on Mill Hill - cheers.

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
The Aircraft wrecks are well documented on the Web and in books , I spent many a day on bleaklow/Kinder and surrounds as a teenager "Ghost Hunting" as we called it , certainly hones your micro nav skills , can be a bit eerie though :)

oh and they arnt all wartime planes either ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A walking trip to several crash sites would be a good expedition, and if done without GPS would be a good navigation exercise.

The Aircraft wrecks are well documented on the Web and in books , I spent many a day on bleaklow/Kinder and surrounds as a teenager "Ghost Hunting" as we called it , certainly hones your micro nav skills , can be a bit eerie though :)

oh and they arnt all wartime planes either ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE