Dark peak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2014
Cambridge
Hi guys,

I’m new to here so big hello to you all.
I have planned to visit the dark peak area with my gf in mid April for 3 days for some walking and camping. It will be our first visit to the area and I have some questions that I would like to ask before confirming the exact route. We have got some decent waterproofs and insulation, with some good boots and tents etc – hopefully it should be sufficient for 3 days.
1) Ground condition – I know it will be peaty and boggy, but how bad would it be? Would I be able to walk on top of the vegetation without sinking into the mud? Is over trousers sufficient to keep my boots dry or I will really need a pair of gaiters? My initial plan is to start from Hadfield to Ronksley Moor then Edale to Kinder Scout and return to Hadfield; so most of it will be on trail with a bit of off trail camping at the plateaus.

2) Weather- what is the temperature like in April time? I guess the wind-chill would make it feel worse than it is, but what sort of temperature should I be expecting? Sub-zero at night?

3) Water – I guess we will not be short of water in that area but would I be seeing a lot of streams at the plateaus? Maps suggested there should be few but are they likely to dry out so I should collect at the bottom? Also, where is the best places to fill up the bottle to avoid bog water?

4) Routes: is the Pennine Way wall marked? Also I’m thinking of taking the path on SK 105 963, is it a path that I could trust?

5) Wild camping – I know it is not encouraged, but ….. any suggestions on how to pick a good spot? I know not to camp within 100 meters of rivers, away from trails and above 500m etc, but have not yet master the skills of picking a spot that could shelter myself from the weather as this will be my first wild camping trip. What is the general wind direction of the dark peak area? Would camping in the plateaus (Kinder, Ronksley) and Bleaklow too windy? Should I retreat to the woods near to Howden reservoir instead?

6) Headnet - will I be needing those?

I think I have covered most of the things I could think of at the moment, but it would be good if someone could advice on the things I have missed out.

Thanks

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Hey Knonist

You will get everything underfoot from walking on slab rock to the famous Kinder bog (which is very acidic so if you get any down your socks, get rid of it) The peat retains the water for quite a while. The route your thinking about is mainly rock / gravel until you get on top so shouldn't be too bad.

There a few streams running off but also a lot of sheep ! I would boil if you don't have a purifier.

The Pennine Way isn't that well marked so my advice would be not to go up there without a map and compass and be well versed in using them. I've had to take several groups / individuals down over the years

Andy

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
here is my 2p

Hi guys,

I’m new to here so big hello to you all.
I have planned to visit the dark peak area with my gf in mid April for 3 days for some walking and camping. It will be our first visit to the area and I have some questions that I would like to ask before confirming the exact route. We have got some decent waterproofs and insulation, with some good boots and tents etc – hopefully it should be sufficient for 3 days.
1) Ground condition – I know it will be peaty and boggy, but how bad would it be? Would I be able to walk on top of the vegetation without sinking into the mud? Is over trousers sufficient to keep my boots dry or I will really need a pair of gaiters? My initial plan is to start from Hadfield to Ronksley Moor then Edale to Kinder Scout and return to Hadfield; so most of it will be on trail with a bit of off trail camping at the plateaus.

Grindsbrook from Edale up to Kinder is pretty easy going. Most of the path is easy to navigate as its been slabbed to prevent erosion. There is some scrambling involved but its nothing taxing. In wet weather the paths can turn to rivers on some parts which often confuses people as they presume they are streams. Mountain rescue chap i spoke to up there deal with a lot of those. If its been dry the peat will be firm but it does get boggy in the wet.

2) Weather- what is the temperature like in April time? I guess the wind-chill would make it feel worse than it is, but what sort of temperature should I be expecting? Sub-zero at night?

Who can tell. Just done 3 days near kinder but only at about 1000ft and we only saw 9c as the lowest temp. http://www.mwis.org.uk will give you a mountain forecast for all major uk ranges over a 3 day period

3) Water – I guess we will not be short of water in that area but would I be seeing a lot of streams at the plateaus? Maps suggested there should be few but are they likely to dry out so I should collect at the bottom? Also, where is the best places to fill up the bottle to avoid bog water?

It can be hard to find water on the top depending where you are. If in doubt fill up early and bring a good sized bladder / bag

4) Routes: is the Pennine Way wall marked? Also I’m thinking of taking the path on SK 105 963, is it a path that I could trust?

As said earlier no its not

5) Wild camping – I know it is not encouraged, but ….. any suggestions on how to pick a good spot? I know not to camp within 100 meters of rivers, away from trails and above 500m etc, but have not yet master the skills of picking a spot that could shelter myself from the weather as this will be my first wild camping trip. What is the general wind direction of the dark peak area? Would camping in the plateaus (Kinder, Ronksley) and Bleaklow too windy? Should I retreat to the woods near to Howden reservoir instead?

There are enough ups and downs in the peat to give you some shelter. Winds are predominantly SW. I always camp near water if poss, i just dont do anything near it that may pollute the water course.

6) Headnet - will I be needing those?

Nothing much in the way of flying peril this weekend. I dont carry one up high as its usually windy enough

I think I have covered most of the things I could think of at the moment, but it would be good if someone could advice on the things I have missed out.

Thanks

Apr 8, 2014
Cambridge
Thank you for the reply, as I have not been to the area before, can you advice if the route is sensible? Would I be crossing a lot of boggy area?
I have spitted the route into 4 parts as I’m planning to stay there for 3 nights therefore the third night must be close where I started so I can get back easily.

Also, apart from being a bit uncomfortable - why would I need to get the bog off the socks quickly? Are they actually corrosive?

2nr0cat.jpg

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Just to add to the other comments.
Wild camp spots to consider, so as not to give away all the secrets, check out the following sites backpacking bongos & Peak routes (he has a youtube channel as well). Just watch out for the rangers, Kinder is one of there 'go to' places, pitch late and strike early. Navigation wise, Kinder can be a problem to the un-initiated, take a map and compass but be certain how to use them, ie pacing on a bearing!

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
If the weather gets too bad a short detour from your route could drop you down to Edale or Hayfield. Campsites are available for water, toilets etc and public houses near by. Would also give a change of scenery if your on holiday not a routemarch.
Madriverrob is your avatar pic Thesiger?
Riven.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
why would I need to get the bog off the socks quickly? Are they actually corrosive?

Its not that bad, yes its acidic but its not gonna melt your socks. biggest danger to you given the miles you are gonna do is blisters. if your boots get wet the water will contain tiny bits of Peat. This builds up in your socks and acts like a fine abrasive. Just swill yer socks out of an evening or wear fresh each day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE