Danner boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Danner make some of the best military style boots that money can buy, they were the ultimate "gucci" boot for quite some time. Recently manufacturers such as Lowa and Alt-berg have eaten into a lot of Danner's market share, probably because they're much cheaper and still very good.

I'd expect them to last for a long time, be repairable when they do break, be made of top quality materials...around a top class last...to very high standards, the company isn't about to disappear so the after sales service should be good (I believe they're an american company too, so service should be top class). etc.

On a personal note, the shoes in the link are possibly the ugliest footwear that I've ever had the misfortune to set eyes upon :)

HTH

Stuart.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Meh.
im rapidly approachin the age where its comfort not fashions the important bit

Mate, don't let my fashion critique dissuade you from a comfort purchase, just be prepared for a ribbing if I ever see you wearing them :)

(I'll hide my socks and sandals under my zip up cardigan, that way you'll only have one set of ammo to throw back at me)

All the best,

Stuart.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got some danner pronghorns with a goretex lining, and they are very light, and quite high, and comfortable.
Leather and canvas, They have a camo pattern. I normally wear them in the summer months. I got them in trade, but so far seem very good. Had them over a year, no problems so far. I like em.
Like these:

Oh yeh, forgot about this Sam. They also have the best bad bottom ad tv advert for a boot ive ever seen....:lmao:

[video=youtube;VjLVe80s-7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLVe80s-7U[/video]

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Dunno about the ones in your link, but the normal leather boots are spendy but absolutely superb, i'd replace mine with the same again in a minute

Remember the old tonka toy adverts?.....you could just replace the toy tipper with a danner boot and it would be about right :D

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
Ive got some danner pronghorns with a goretex lining, and they are very light, and quite high, and comfortable.
Leather and canvas, They have a camo pattern. I normally wear them in the summer months. I got them in trade, but so far seem very good. Had them over a year, no problems so far. I like em.
Like these:

Oh yeh, forgot about this Sam. They also have the best bad bottom ad tv advert for a boot ive ever seen....:lmao:

[video=youtube;VjLVe80s-7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLVe80s-7U[/video]

Love my Pronghorns (pre black toe & heel rand)..............................bought from TKmaxx many years ago now, the dye at the toe washes out if they remain wet for to long, but still my favourite boots by far. Very comfy and like you say....very light for a high boot. I'll get a few more years out of them then look at getting some more.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like Altbergs, Lowas But when Danners were a reasonable price 20 years ago they were all I wore as comfortable as a pair of slippers Danner Arcadia. They were superb and now sadley double in price.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I like Altbergs, Lowas But when Danners were a reasonable price 20 years ago they were all I wore as comfortable as a pair of slippers Danner Arcadia. They were superb and now sadley double in price.

Yes, this is very true, good point mate...i paid a LOT less for my first pair than they are now

thinking about it. i wouldn't replace mine with the same again considering the prices these days.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I completed two of the Nijmegen marches I've done wearing Arcadias and they did me proud, had them resoled twice and they lasted upwards of ten years....ten very busy boot years. I was so impressed I picked up a pair of their Striker GTX boots in the US about ten years ago.....they walked far far less than the Arcadias and literally fell apart in under three years.....I stopped buying Danner after that. Then a couple of years back I picked up a brown pair of Strikers very cheap in TK Max....but to be honest I hardly wear them and tend to live in chainsaw boots now.

The point of the above is that they were making phenomenal boots back in the day, quoted as nearest you'll ever get to hand made and fitted boots with actually being so...but since then, the price has gone up and the quality seems to have gone down, not down to being a bad boot, just not as good a boot as they used to make.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Best Boots Ive got are the Lundhags pro mid. That rubber bottom half seems to work really well. I treat it with a mixture of glycerine and alcohol. Just wipe it down now and again.

chas

Feb 22, 2006
mid essex
I wore Danner boots for 12 years in the winter. 2 pairs of Acadia's n 1 pair of Patrol boots, like an all leather Acadia, wore out a pair of Acadia's n gave the other pair away, worst of all when I went to NZ I threw the Patrols in the bin, ho hum!!!
I've got a pair of Quoddy moc Grizzly boots but I'm savin up for a pair of Arrow moccasins, look at Carl Dyers to, proper First Nation shoes. atb Chas.
P.S. I'm barefoot as soon as it's hot enuf until it's cold enuf, I'm not a Cody Lundlin clone, a back injury 44 yrs ago means no back trubble if i'm shoeless, bin summer barefoot since my early twenties!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE